Self Trimmers: What Scissors Do You Use and Other Tips?

tryn2growmyhair

have been thinking about dusting/trimming my hair from now on as I do not trust stylists. They can just be too scissor happy. I don't care if my ends are not perfect, the amount that I cut off will be just enough for me to ensure that my hair doesnt tangle as much.

So, what brand of trimming scissors do you use? Also, do you have any other trimming tips to suggest?

I have a pair that my mother ,who is a stylist gave me. They are very sharp and cut my hair like butter. Im very carefull with them too.

You can find a good pair at any bss.

i got mine from sally too....i dont know what the brand is, but they are SHARP....i almost hurt myself! :lol:

You could check www.sallybeauty.com and see the different types of scissors that they have to offer for trimming. Sorry I don't have any trimming tips to share.

Tryn2,

like Sweet Ambrosia I also trim my hair while dry. One time I trimmed my hair when it was wet and it was so much shorter than what I started out with:lol: You know the hair shrinks after it dries.

I either use my brother's scissors, which came with his homecutting kit or I use this realy sharp pair that I bought from the hair shop. You can't miss them, they come with a golden base and one side looks like a Q.

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Tryn2,

like Sweet Ambrosia I also trim my hair while dry. One time I trimmed my hair when it was wet and it was so much shorter than what I started out with:lol: You know the hair shrinks after it dries.

I either use my brother's scissors, which came with his homecutting kit or I use this realy sharp pair that I bought from the hair shop. You can't miss them, they come with a golden base and one side looks like a Q.

@ Sweet Ambrosia and Baileyscream: Thanks for the tips about dry or wet hair. Do you rollerset it or do anything else to it when you trim it? TIA

I bought mines from Sally's they're professional, small, light-weight and easy to handle scissors. IMO, brand does not really matter...I only paid $9 for mines. Just make sure that you keep them sharp and only cut your hair with them.

I agree, ONLY cut dry hair...leave the wet hair to the professionals!

There is a trimming/cutting method the I use, but I can't explain it. I use this method when I want to trim/dust my entire head.

Right now I use Split-ender. It makes self trimming much easier, and it only trims away tiny pieces of hair...much like dusting.

tryn2growmyhair said:
@ Sweet Ambrosia and Baileyscream: Thanks for the tips about dry or wet hair. Do you rollerset it or do anything else to it when you trim it? TIA

Tryn2,

I usually cut/trim it once I have washed and blow dried the hair. Sometimes I look for split ends and just cut them off individually instead of cutting off healthy ends, this way I save the healthy hair.

I usually use one of those rattail combs to comb sections of the hair to trim as well.

tru_mind said:
I bought mines from Sally's they're professional, small, light-weight and easy to handle scissors. IMO, brand does not really matter...I only paid $9 for mines. Just make sure that you keep them sharp and only cut your hair with them.

I agree, ONLY cut dry hair...leave the wet hair to the professionals!

There is a trimming/cutting method the I use, but I can't explain it. I use this method when I want to trim/dust my entire head.

Right now I use Split-ender. It makes self trimming much easier, and it only trims away tiny pieces of hair...much like dusting.
Where can you get Split-ender? I am actually only doing dusting. I would never cut that much off my hair.

Back