"Self-Texlaxers" Enter Here!

clarity2008

Well, I just got home from CVS and I picked up the ORS No-Lye Relaxer Kit. My hair does not really need to be processed the full time only beacause it's not too coarse. I just want to relax my curl and reduce frizz (my arch enemy) and just make it a little easier on myself. I haven't the time for this natural business right now....I am still having second thoughts though. I just went and put the relaxer in the waaaaay back of my closet. I'm kinda nervous.
So I have a few questions...

What relaxer/texturizer do you use?

How long do you leave it on?

Any other tips?

TIA Ladies!

Last edited:
Silk Elements Mild Lye. :love: I add conditioner and oil and I leave it on for about 11 minutes.

Last edited:
What relaxer/texturizer do you use? Mizani Lye, Extra Mild

How long do you leave it on? I really don't let it 'sit'. I set the timer for 10-15 min, then I start applying, after time has elapsed, I rinse. DH does the 2 back sections at the same time I'm doing the top 2 sections, so I don't get too under or over processed on certain areas

Any other tips? Start on the most coarse areas first, it may not be the same spot all the time. Try mixing oils in the relaxer to lessen the strength. Coat prev. relaxed hair with oils/cond.
TIA Ladies!

Answers in bold

Revlon Realistic Regular Lye

12 minutes total (including application and smoothing)

Any other tips?
Be sure to protect your previously relaxed ends with oil or conditioner so they are not re-processed when rinsing the relaxer.

im going to start texlaxing myself.. because i pay about 50 bucks to get my hair texlaxed and the second time and last time i went i was a lil annoyed with the results.. not to happy.. my hair felt brittle and felt like a slight roughness.. p-lus i cant believe i let her brush my dam hair with a comb brush thingy.. it was pissing me off .. and she cant style my hair for nothing.. ne who i will be using Silk Elements Mild Lye or Mizani Lye, Extra Mild. i hear these are the best n e way

What relaxer/texturizer do you use? Profectiv relaxer (regular)

10 minutes

Any other tips?
I only apply to new growth---thoroughly coat the rest of my hair with Profective Breakfree leave in/strengthening conditioner as provided in the box.

What relaxer/texturizer do you use? Hawaiian Silky No Base (Lye) Mild

How long do you leave it on? about 10 minutes including smoothing with my fingers. I don't use a comb to smooth. :nono:

Any other tips? I base thoroughly 24 hours beforehand. I also base in sensitive areas right before application. I don't add oil to mine anymore but it's good to do if you want a little more time for application.

Since I use lye, I also add protein (UltraSheen Duo Tex) after rinsing the relaxer out and before neutralizing (thanks to Sistaslick :grin:)

Oh and btw, since you have a kit I'm assuming its no-lye. Make sure you use a chelating shampoo in addition to a neutralizing one so that you will remove the mineral deposits left by relaxer.

Last edited:
What relaxer/texturizer do you use? ORS Regular No-Lye Relaxer

How long do you leave it on? Didn't let it sit...just applied and rinsed out.

Any other tips? This was my first time because like you I dont have time for the natural thing lol. I think it came out good and I was happy I went with ORS because it adds a lot of moisture!

ok now im getthing the itches.. im ready to texlax me hair again.. but i need to do a corrective.. but im scared to do one.. but at the sasme time im not woried about it.. i just have to get my hair strength up on the processed hair before i attempt to correct.. im thinking december 31 or january 1 to start off the new year right..

I use Mizani-Fine/Mild, I add about a cup of Jojoba oil directly to the relaxer
I also coat my hair in vasaline before i apply the relaxer
I don't really let the creme sit on the hair, it's on for like 10 to 15 and then i shampoo
I apply aphogee 2-minute right after and then condition

How long do you leave it on? about 10 minutes including smoothing with my fingers. I don't use a comb to smooth. :nono:

Any other tips? I base thoroughly 24 hours beforehand. I also base in sensitive areas right before application. I don't add oil to mine anymore but it's good to do if you want a little more time for application.

Since I use lye, I also add protein (UltraSheen Duo Tex) after rinsing the relaxer out and before neutralizing (thanks to Sistaslick :grin:)

Oh and btw, since you have a kit I'm assuming its no-lye. Make sure you use a chelating shampoo in addition to a neutralizing one so that you will remove the mineral deposits left by relaxer.

At the bold- isn't this too strong of a protein? Do you use it as directed?

Affirm Fiberguard "mild"
8 mins
Any other tips?
if your not sure how long u should leave it on for.... (what i did)... my relaxer say leave on for 15 mins....at the half way marker... I did the comb-out step starting on my crown area.. and since i was able to comb my ng out...i figured between 6-8 mins is all i need... anything over like 15 mins would make me bone straight.
TIA Ladies!

HTH :rolleyes:

What relaxer/texturizer do you use? Dark and lovely no lye regular.....:spinning: yes i know its probably not the best but i've used it for YEARS and am scared of changing relaxers, i've heard some nasty stories bout switching....would love to try a lye though

How long do you leave it on? apply as fast as possible NO COMBING....sometimes smooth with back of comb/fingers

Any other tips? Cosigning on the tip below....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/320975/guide_to_safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?page=2

The website will give you EVERYTHING you need to know so wont go into details here....read it it is a wealthe of knowledge.....Sistaslick is a LHCF member as well so the info is legit. would recommend u reading all her articles

HTH!!!!

I used Elasta regular QP for 20 minutes with a great deal of smoothing. I have always had relaxer resistant hair so I did not worry. The first time I did my hair, I covered it in a weak protein, like the Aphogee 2 minute (something like that) the creamy one. Then I let it dry, added a base to my scalp and surrounding skin and let it rip.

After the first time I realized I did not need the protien. So I went without it the next time.

Back