Scarf Help Needed!

Hello Ladies. I need your help/suggestions or maybe I'm just looking for unobtainable perfection. :ohwell: I'm having problems with scarfing at night.

Problems:
  • Whether I tie my scarf in the front or the back, the area gets stressed/thinned/etc. and I'm not doing it tight; sometimes it comes off during the night.
  • How do you eliminate that puff or unflattened hair that the scarf seems not to touch? I have no problem with my hair laying down/getting smooth a good 3 inches around my head. The crown just doesn't have any pressure on it with the scarf. Get what I mean?
  • What do I do with my hair that is longer then the nape area? I have a raggedy rat tail...I mean ponytail that I'm 2 seconds from chopping off! :nono: If I twist it up, wrap it, braid it, tuck it, etc. I get breakage where the twist occurs or the change of direction happens.
BTW, my scarf is the doo rag type. Should I be using something else, like a wig cap?

Shew! Ok...now lay it on me!

Hello Ladies. I need your help/suggestions or maybe I'm just looking for unobtainable perfection. :ohwell: I'm having problems with scarfing at night.

Problems:
  • Whether I tie my scarf in the front or the back, the area gets stressed/thinned/etc. and I'm not doing it tight; sometimes it comes off during the night.
  • How do you eliminate that puff or unflattened hair that the scarf seems not to touch? I have no problem with my hair laying down/getting smooth a good 3 inches around my head. The crown just doesn't have any pressure on it with the scarf. Get what I mean?
  • What do I do with my hair that is longer then the nape area? I have a raggedy rat tail...I mean ponytail that I'm 2 seconds from chopping off! :nono: If I twist it up, wrap it, braid it, tuck it, etc. I get breakage where the twist occurs or the change of direction happens.
BTW, my scarf is the doo rag type. Should I be using something else, like a wig cap?

Shew! Ok...now lay it on me!

Or to keep your scarf on all night you could put the wig cap over the doo rag. I just moisture the hair and smooth it down before i tie it and everything is ok in the morning.

Your welcome. But if you smooth it down, i'm wondering why would it be puffy in that area? What kind of a style are you putting it in?

It's like putting on a headband...of course what's under the headband is gonna be smoother and closer to the scalp then the hair (the crown) that had nothing on it. Get me? I guess I need to post a pic.:perplexed

Have you tried the big square scarves? and folding it in half to make a triangle and tying it? That will get the top to lay down.:yep:

This is what I use.
The triangle is what I make and use also. Since I'm airdrying in the scarf tied that way, I need my hair flattened and smooth at the top and towards the back too, besides the front and sides. :yep:

I use the scarf folded into a triangle too. I also make sure I pull the middle part down before tying it in the back, that way it makes the crown lay down.

I use the scarf folded into a triangle too. I also make sure I pull the middle part down before tying it in the back, that way it makes the crown lay down.
This is exactly what i do:yep:
Could it be he quality of the scarf causing so many problems?

yo, im hot right now. i just typed this nice long response and it disappeared ! :perplexed anyway, i used a satin bonnet when i go to sleep , so all the oils i use wont be rubbed away and i dont have to worry about thinning. but when i want my hair to lay flat, i use a satin scarf and tie in the front on my hair or on my forehead (there's enough room lol). maybe just try alternating different scarfs and whatnot. the material of a durag isnt too good to use . it rubs on our hair too much

THANKS LADIES!

I will mos def get the a/some square scarfs today. :grin: Maybe I was just relying too much on the easy to pick up doo rag(s) in the BSSs.

Be Blessed!

scunci_Full.jpg

I use a Scunci clips that have a plastic coating on the top and on the clip arm and secure the scarf in the front. I try to place the clips in a different spot every night. Close the ear one night, around the temple another and somewhere in between other nights.

Sometimes, I just use another scarf over it that I tie a little tighter.

ETA:
I also prefer a square silk scarf.

scunci_Full.jpg

I use a Scunci clips that have a plastic coating on the top and on the clip arm and secure the scarf in the front. I try to place the clips in a different spot every night. Close the ear one night, around the temple another and somewhere in between other nights.

Sometimes, I just use another scarf over it that I tie a little tighter.

ETA:
I also prefer a square silk scarf.

This is exactly what I use to keep my silk scarves on at night as well. Otherwise, they will slide off.

I went to the Indian fabric store here and bought some length of silk. I came home and cut it up to different lengths for different purposes. They are very long and will tie around my head twice. I always use one when I get under the dryer to get a flat, smooth look. It was so cheap. Maybe $6.00 for 5 yards? 'm not sure, but it's worth it. You could even make your own square and then make it into a triangle that is custom fitted to your head.

I went to the Indian fabric store here and bought some length of silk. I came home and cut it up to different lengths for different purposes. They are very long and will tie around my head twice. I always use one when I get under the dryer to get a flat, smooth look. It was so cheap. Maybe $6.00 for 5 yards? 'm not sure, but it's worth it. You could even make your own square and then make it into a triangle that is custom fitted to your head.

Oh Oh! Custom fitted...that's what I need.:yep: Thanks!

Back