Scared to death to get a texturizer...

bellydancer

I'm soooooooo afraid of chemicals because of the relaxers i've had as a child. I've been natural for 3 years now and i love it but i've been seriously considering a texturizer just because I want an easier way to get looser curls. Twist outs and braids outs haven't been working for me for some reason. How would I deal with new growth though. I'd want to stretch out my texturizer treatments like everyone on this site tries to stretch out their relaxers but how would i blend the new growth in with the rest of the hair? That's my biggest scare. I don't want it to get weak and break off from overprocessing but i don't want it to look a mess and break off from waiting too long to get a retouch (kinda like transitioning). I"m so confused.

I've been texturized for about 6 months. I waited 4 months for my first touchup and hope to wait at least 3 for the next. Honestly I had my whole head restraightened to get a relaxer but it didn't straighten...just gave me the curls I really wanted. Key is to use a good product and soften your new growth to prevent breakage. I use surge, silica, and curl activator to soften the new growth and it's not even visible though I can certainly feel it.

If you live in the NYC area I'd suggest a silkener from the curve salon. Before and after pictures just looked great. They have a web site. If not I'd suggest using a mild relaxer like affirm w/ fiberguard or mizani sensitive scalp. The chemicals are harsh so make sure you base with castor oil starting a week before the process and that you do a deep deep conditioner including moisturizer and protein.

I texturized my hair on August 26. My new growth blends in with my texturized hair, so it's kind of hard by sight to see where the new growth ends. However, I can *feel* the difference. The new growth feels wavier and thicker. I was thinking about getting a touch up in the middle of next month or waiting until February. When the time comes, I'm going to roller set my hair a week before touch up day to make it easier to see the new growth since it won't get as straight. That's a tip I got from someone on this board.
If you're worried about overprocessing, then you should go see a professional.

With a decent texturizer and depending on how you'll be wearing your hair, you're not going to see the new growth issues that some who straighten their hair completely experience. I've been texturizing for several years and have found that there are no new growth issues for me.

The best thing that you can do is do a strand test to determine which strength relaxer to use and how long to leave it on the various different textures of your head. This is very important!

I use Revlon Realistic Mild (lye) and it works very well for me.

I'm scared too. I even bought a relaxer for a strand test. I would love to have hair like Gloria Rueben's.
grin.gif
But I keep thinking, "What if I lose the hair I have left?" And "My relaxed hair never thrived--why would a texturizer be any different for me?"

I'm scared now, but you never know...

Have you tried softening your hair with shea butter?

I have noticed a softer texture and no frizzies with shea butter, leave in conditioner with rosemary oil and glycerin added, and taking MSM...

Maybe it might just be a matter of finding a better combination that your hair likes...

What a pretty picture in your avatar Sassygirl! That little girl is just too cute and her HAIR!

As far as texturizers go, I agree with what Curlycrly about doing a strand test first. Do a lot of research before choosing the chemical also.

A texturizer is different from a relaxer b/c a relaxer damages your hair when it's too strong or left on too long whereas texturizers are milder and/or left on for a shorter period of time. I wouldn't worry about loosing your hair, I would just worry about relaxing more of your curl out than you want.

Your texturized hair will also be a little thinner than your natural hair so that's something to think about. I do think that texturizers are a good alternative for naturals. Just be sure to do your research.

I was natural for 3 years and then texturized and to me it took my natural to another level of worry-free and beautiful! My natural/texurized hair was the easiest hair on the planet to deal with because I could just get up, shampoo, work in some gel curl activator or Right On curl and those curls would Pop in and I'd be out the door! My hair would just drink up the moisture so I wasn't like Coming to America messing up people's sofas or anything!! It just looked like natural 3B hair althought I'm a 4A mostly with a little bit of 3C in the top and front. As for how often to texturize, I did only about 3 times a year and that was great! Because you're not stretching your hair straight, the newgrowth completely blends in with the rest of your hair so it's not a drastic change. You're merely loosening the curl pattern! Whenever I transition and go natural again, I'll definitely texturize!!

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
I've been texturized for about 6 months. I waited 4 months for my first touchup and hope to wait at least 3 for the next. Honestly I had my whole head restraightened to get a relaxer but it didn't straighten...just gave me the curls I really wanted. Key is to use a good product and soften your new growth to prevent breakage. I use surge, silica, and curl activator to soften the new growth and it's not even visible though I can certainly feel it.

If you live in the NYC area I'd suggest a silkener from the curve salon. Before and after pictures just looked great. They have a web site. If not I'd suggest using a mild relaxer like affirm w/ fiberguard or mizani sensitive scalp. The chemicals are harsh so make sure you base with castor oil starting a week before the process and that you do a deep deep conditioner including moisturizer and protein.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm from Cincinnati but I was going to go to the Curve Salon every few months so i could get a retouch. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do it. That's why I'm afraid of the new growth factor!

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I'm scared too. I even bought a relaxer for a strand test. I would love to have hair like Gloria Rueben's.
grin.gif
But I keep thinking, "What if I lose the hair I have left?" And "My relaxed hair never thrived--why would a texturizer be any different for me?"

I'm scared now, but you never know...

[/ QUOTE ]My relaxed hair was HELLLLLLL but that's because it was over processed and I didn't have the knowledge of hair that I have since I joined LHCF. I'm scared though. I don't want it to end up like my relaxed hair.

I'm such a dork.
dork.gif
I'm all geared up.

I eBayed a neck mirror and a showerhead with a hose and "salon style spray" that's supposed to enhance the water pressure. It's hyped at supershowersystem.com.
bookworm.gif
(I'm hoping the force of the water pressure will be about equivalent to what they have at the washbowl in the typical salon. I think such water jets help with detangling and thorough rinsing.
brainy.gif
)

Next I'll get a timer. I've already got a smaller toothed comb, the PCJ lye, and gloves.

I'm going to texturize my 2 month's worth of new growth after I serve jury duty (12/16) and right before I fly home for the holidays.

So psyched!
wink.gif

Back