Scared To Color...Need Advice..come on dont let me beg

trendsetta25

Ladies, I've been contemplating for the past few months (months meaning like 10:lachen:) if i should color my hair. My natural hair color is a sandy brown but since I've been rinsing it black so you don't really see it anymore (I would rinse it black because it's easier to blend my weave when i do my installs). Anywho, i REALLY want to go lighter for the summer...

I'm looking to color my hair EXACTLY like this!!!...
c_hair_3.jpg

but i'm scared that my hair will break and i will be at square one...btw..i'm soooo close to APL i can taste it. This will be the longest my hair has EVER been my entire life (the longest my hair has been before LHCF was CBL).

So ladies:

1. Are there any colored and relaxed ladies that are or were able to maintain healthy hair after they colored?
  2. Should i risk it?
  3. What can i do so that i DON'T see a major setback?
  4. Should i just try a rinse? If so, which would be the best to get the closest results to what i want?

HELP!!!

You can be relaxed and colored and healthy IMO, you'll just have to seriously baby and care for your hair. protein & moisture moisture moisture...

Someone else can give you better advice though. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Tracee gives excellent advice on being colored and relaxed. She has tutorials and discusses it in her blog. She is colored, relaxed with either wsl or hl hair. Perhaps you could pm her. :grin:

Tracee gives excellent advice on being colored and relaxed. She has tutorials and discusses it in her blog. She is colored, relaxed with either wsl or hl hair. Perhaps you could pm her. :grin:

i'm a regular stalker of her blog :lachen: thanks!
while i'm off stalking her color post...any more takers???

Traycee...if you're reading this...can you send me a link to any video or tips that you have on your blog that can help?

You can be relaxed and colored and healthy IMO, you'll just have to seriously baby and care for your hair. protein & moisture moisture moisture...

Someone else can give you better advice though. Good luck with whatever you decide!

BTW i voted for you...i mean how can i resist???...you're hair is gorgeous!!!!

IF you have fine hair...I wouldn't do it. :nono: But, as others have stated, there are members with gorgeous heads of hair that have lightened successfully. Please do your research and take great care of it if you decide to lighten.

IF you have fine hair...I wouldn't do it. :nono: But, as others have stated, there are members with gorgeous heads of hair that have lightened successfully. Please do your research and take great care of it if you decide to lighten.

nope my hair isn't fine. Thanks for your advice!!!

When was the last time you rinsed black?? If you're going to go lighter I would say stop rinsing black NOW.

Lemme tell you a lil story from a few years ago (when I was going to salons and before LHCF).....

Girl I rinsed black and then 2 months later I went to my stylist to go lighter, about the color you are looking to go. TELL ME WHY my hair turned green in the process!!! TERRIBLE!!! She corrected it and it really wasn't her fault because this has happened to a lot of my friends who try to lighten up, coming from a black rinse.

This is why although you are not using harsh chemicals (bleach) when you rinse black, I still consider it a Permanent color because you can't color over it with a different color rinse and a lot of people opt to cut it off or grow it out before they attempt to lighten up.

The corrected color came out really nice but my hair broke off, I don't handle color very well, despite the fact that my hair is so thick. I opted to rinse black again (lol) to mask the damage and I've been black ever since, don't think I'll ever sway again from my raven colored hair :yep:

When was the last time you rinsed black?? If you're going to go lighter I would say stop rinsing black NOW.

Lemme tell you a lil story from a few years ago (when I was going to salons and before LHCF).....

Girl I rinsed black and then 2 months later I went to my stylist to go lighter, about the color you are looking to go. TELL ME WHY my hair turned green in the process!!! TERRIBLE!!! She corrected it and it really wasn't her fault because this has happened to a lot of my friends who try to lighten up, coming from a black rinse.

This is why although you are not using harsh chemicals (bleach) when you rinse black, I still consider it a Permanent color because you can't color over it with a different color rinse and a lot of people opt to cut it off or grow it out before they attempt to lighten up.

The corrected color came out really nice but my hair broke off, I don't handle color very well, despite the fact that my hair is so thick. I opted to rinse black again (lol) to mask the damage and I've been black ever since, don't think I'll ever sway again from my raven colored hair :yep:

thanks for this advice. The last time i rinsed was last June. The front of my hair is much lighter than the back. I believe it's because that's the only part i have out since i wear weaves as a PS and the sun lightened the front.

you don't want to go to a drastic color that's still a dark color so I think you be fine, the only issue with going back to your natural color is lifting the black so that you can deposit the brown color and to have good results doing so. sometimes this can be drying to the hair and make it brittle.

this is what I found online, wash with dandruff shampoo and use lemon juice in a spray bottle, the lemon will lift the color gently along with the dandruff shampoos stripping capabilities. do lots of conditioning.

or you can buy a pre lightener that will also strip the color.

also the hair may turn weird colors when lightened this is normal.

pre lighteners:
http://www.clairolpro.com/faq/lighteners
I love clairols textures and tones color and their beautiful collection rinses.

10 volume developer to slowly lift the color. but 20 does better lifting.

toners http://www.clairolpro.com/faq/toners

but before you even get started again do alot of heavy deep conditioning treatments to keep your hair healthy before and after you do your color.

Last edited:

I totally agree with this.
I recently colored then relaxed, and it is very hard to maintain for me because I'm not used to having to be so consistent w/protein (I was natural when I had the color, then relaxed) But it is very possible. I see it all the time, my hair is not breaking off but it's just a pain.

thanks for this advice. The last time i rinsed was last June. The front of my hair is much lighter than the back. I believe it's because that's the only part i have out since i wear weaves as a PS and the sun lightened the front.
Oh well then you'll be fine...I say go for it!!!

I totally agree with this.
I recently colored then relaxed, and it is very hard to maintain for me because I'm not used to having to be so consistent w/protein (I was natural when I had the color, then relaxed) But it is very possible. I see it all the time, my hair is not breaking off but it's just a pain.

Thanks...and I love your texture! Your curls are :lick:

you don't want to go to a drastic color that's still a dark color so I think you be fine, the only issue with going back to your natural color is lifting the black so that you can deposit the brown color and to have good results doing so. sometimes this can be drying to the hair and make it brittle.

this is what I found online, wash with dandruff shampoo and use lemon juice in a spray bottle, the lemon will lift the color gently along with the dandruff shampoos stripping capabilities. do lots of conditioning.

or you can buy a pre lightener that will also strip the color.

also the hair may turn weird colors when lightened this is normal.

pre lighteners:
http://www.clairolpro.com/faq/lighteners
I love clairols textures and tones color and their beautiful collection rinses.

10 volume developer to slowly lift the color. but 20 does better lifting.

toners http://www.clairolpro.com/faq/toners

but before you even get started again do alot of heavy deep conditioning treatments to keep your hair healthy before and after you do your color.

I'm :bighug:you as I type...can you feel it?
This is the type of advice/tips I need!!!! Thanks sooo much for doing the research to answer my concerns :yep:

Last edited:
Hi, it is possible, but it is A LOT of work. You have to keep in tune with your hair and the moisture/protein balance is super, super important.

The upkeep of colored and relaxed hair cannot be under-estimated. You may just want to wait until you hit your goal length and then color. It is very possible to get some breakage with color and then it can seem like it was all for not.

Listen to your hair and listen to your head. I know what ever you decide will work out for the best.

When I tried to lighten my color after a demi-permanent color only the roots lightened. It was a hot mess. Having said that, a)everyone's hair is different and b) I was using a demi-permanent, not a rinse.

Lifting color is not a gentle process. Did it using the box kit. It worked, but it's not a walk in the park. Queen Helene's cholesterol was my best friend, I still had some breakage, AND I was natural during that period.

I think hair dye is so much fun and I do believe you can use hair dye and still have healthy hair. It's just trying to remove the black rinse while trying to get your hair that color while trying to keep your length.

My knee jerk reaction is to do highlights first as a test run.

When I tried to lighten my color after a demi-permanent color only the roots lightened. It was a hot mess. Having said that, a)everyone's hair is different and b) I was using a demi-permanent, not a rinse.

Lifting color is not a gentle process. Did it using the box kit. It worked, but it's not a walk in the park. Queen Helene's cholesterol was my best friend, I still had some breakage, AND I was natural during that period.

I think hair dye is so much fun and I do believe you can use hair dye and still have healthy hair. It's just trying to remove the black rinse while trying to get your hair that color while trying to keep your length.

My knee jerk reaction is to do highlights first as a test run.

thanks for sharing! :yep:

I'm color-treated and I had/have success when I was relaxed. I use Ms. Clairol Luminize along with the Luminize Developer - it lightens you natural hair color. It's suppose to lift I believe up to three shades lighter. Very gentle and moisturizing lightner. I've applied it to my hair for over 10 years now. Now, I'm natural and I still use it.

It is important to keep your hair moisturized and balanced. With proper care there should be no major problems. This is my opinion only. Good Luck with your decision.

:lol: (it just ocurred to me that if this thread were in OT or the Relationship forum, the thread title would take on a whole new meaning.) :lol:

:lol: (it just ocurred to me that if this thread were in OT or the Relationship forum, the thread title would take on a whole new meaning.) :lol:

:lachen:

I'm color-treated and I had/have success when I was relaxed. I use Ms. Clairol Luminize along with the Luminize Developer - it lightens you natural hair color. It's suppose to lift I believe up to three shades lighter. Very gentle and moisturizing lightner. I've applied it to my hair for over 10 years now. Now, I'm natural and I still use it.

It is important to keep your hair moisturized and balanced. With proper care there should be no major problems. This is my opinion only. Good Luck with your decision.

THANKS SO MUCH!
What color are you rocking? it's gorgeous!

Back