Scalp burn self relaxing

xcuzememiss

So i experienced some minor scalp burns this weekend from relaxing... Apparently I didn't base as well as I thought I did. Not to mention I was scratching a lot the day before. Any advice on the healing/treatment process? Here's what I did, one noticing that i had a burn I quickly neautralized my hair again(5 times while letting it sit in for 5 mins the last 3 times after the relaxer) and let my air air dry. I didn't put anything on the affected areas(treated it like a reg burn..) until a scab formed later the next day. I had a mixture of castor and coconut oilapplied dail to the area. No real manipulation or heat was used.. Im wondering how long until I can gently wash my hair and style?? any other constructive advice is welcomed!

Last edited:
Sorry this happened to you!

I've never experienced a scalp burn, but I have some questions that might help the other ladies who chime in.

What relaxer did you use? Lye or no-lye?

Have you successfully self-relaxed in the past?

What did you base with?

What pre-relaxer steps did you take?

When did you last wash your hair before your relaxer application?

Sent from my Comet

Sorry to hear. I don't remember what I use when I got burns. I just remember the scabs that use to come off after a couple of days and how raw my skin looks. Maybe you should use some neosporin. That's why I buy Phytorelaxer for $60 because I don't want to get any burns. I know it's expensive but I figure since I self-relax and do everything else for my hair I can at least shell out that kind of money for a relaxer. I wish I could find something cheaper but again with self relaxing you need every help you can get.

I've successfully self relaxed in the past using alter ego Linange. i based my scalp with softee herbal gro..vaseline is the frst ingredient following coconut oil, wheat germ oil, etc.. then i put a liitle castor oil on the scalp. As far as my hair goes. the rest csme out great.. I did a mid protein treatment with designer touch post perm treatment, neautralized with profectiv mousse(which is excellent btw) I did a rinse(dark and lovely color mousse, washes out in 6 washings, safe for same day relaxing) then DC'd with keracare humecto and nairobi humecta sil.... i washed my hair like a week and a half before and i used porosity control on my previously relaxed ends.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of what treatments will help with the scalp burns, but for next time you relax. Here's a really helpful and thorough method for basing your scalp: http://youtu.be/aCXnMxKNJlY

I've done this every time I relax, and I haven't experienced any relaxer burns. I just scoop my summit grease into an applicator bottle like the one that she has. HTH!

I would suggest some 100% aloe vera gel applied to your scalp. That usually helps sooth the burns and should help you heal faster as well.

I've successfully self relaxed in the past using alter ego Linange. i based my scalp with softee herbal gro..vaseline is the frst ingredient following coconut oil, wheat germ oil, etc.. then i put a liitle castor oil on the scalp. As far as my hair goes. the rest csme out great.. I did a mid protein treatment with designer touch post perm treatment, neautralized with profectiv mousse(which is excellent btw) I did a rinse(dark and lovely color mousse, washes out in 6 washings, safe for same day relaxing) then DC'd with keracare humecto and nairobi humecta sil.... i washed my hair like a week and a half before and i used porosity control on my previously relaxed ends.

May I make a suggestion? Never ever base with a herbal grow or growth aid. A lot of times they have SULFUR in them and it will cause your scalp to burn. Always invest in a Protective Scalp base specifically used to protect the scalp. I love Perfect Results and I just bought Motions Scalp Base for the first time.

It's worth the investment. I usually put Vitamin E on any bruise, cut, or scrape and it heals really quickly.

I hope this helps.

For future reference no matter how much you base if you were scratching you may burn. If its that bad I'll scratch away then wash and leave the relaxing for another week.

You should be able to wash your hair again by this weekend.

Ditto on the aloe. I always kept some on-hand when I was relaxed and it never failed me. I once had a horrible burn that was extremely painful and almost covered my entire scalp. I literary poured aloe juice all over my head and gently massaged it in, put my hair back in a bun and went to sleep. The next morning, there were very minimal scabs and a few tender spots. The day after that? Nothing. Aloe is the truf. :yep:

Last edited:
I'd stick to plain vaseline when basing. Like someone else mentioned, you don't know how your chosen base will react to a relaxer. And :spank: for you because you relaxed after scratching!

A scab is your skin trying to heal itself underneath, so let it to its thing. Aloe vera gel is said to work although I've never had better success with it. Basically, you'll have to let the scab run its course and very careful of your hair that's caught in the scab. After a week or so, I massage lightly with thick oil for a few minutes until the scab starts to break on is own and I gently remove it. Don't try to force it out.

Well here is a progress report.. My scalp has healed. I did get a relaxer around December and thoroughly based with a petroleum product. I kind of over did it in the previously burnt area(under processed). Although in the end I think I lost a little hair. Ladies always properly base.. Or just wait! Lol

Back