Save or Splurge? What do you spend top dollar on?

beana

Do you believe in spending top dollar for certain staples/ products in your regimen? If so what are they? OR Can you find most of your products/staples at the drugstore?

I'll start: I splurge on Darcy's Botanical transitioning cream, even thought the price tag is $12, after shipping and tax it equals anywhere from $16-18 per bottle. Its my staple daily moisturizer. Everything else i find at sallys and only buy when its on sale. When i was relaxed my fave protein DC was DRC-28 and it was $50 per bottle... and it was worth it. now that im transitioning i don't use hard ore proteins anymore.

I have a weakness for hair oils. I just paid $65 + shipping for some Asian Plum Oil. Yep, I probably need my butt kicked, but oh well :lachen:.

Now that I am using products without synthetics, my products cost more and I can't just drive up the street to buy them. It cose $25 to $30 for my mud wash. And my conditioners and styling products are typically $12+. I could always reduce the cost by making it myself but some vendors just have better blends than I can make myself or I don't feel like buying all the ingredients to make it.

I'm am willing to splurge for results and the health of my hair.

Before I started on this hair thing I didnt buy stuff. But once I started I refused to buy cheap stuff because I don't believe that a company would make an amazing product and sell it for dirt. So I'm willing to spend $20 for a deep conditioner or moisturizer because I know those are the products I use the most. I need them to be quality products. As for shampoo and conditioner, I have found what works and I spend no more than $10 each. But I would never spend a lot on something like CHI Silk Infusion or Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum. That's what my SO is for :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Bee Mine Luscious $18.97 (34.97 for larger size), nothing can replace that moisturizer. Everything else in my regimen is under $10 (not including heat tools).

I spend top dollar on my hair appliances such as blow drier and flat iron, standing hair drier because I think that make the biggest impact. As for other things I'm really cheap, my deep conditioner is $2.79 I just add oils I usually already cook with like olive oil and grapeseed oil. For my "moisturizer" I just put a cheapy in a spritz with water. I do believe in spending top dollar for hair product if you want the best, my cheapies work fine for me so I'm fine.

I have spent as much as 20 dollars for a conditioner a wheat germ dc but that is about it.Oh I will spend on my wigs no more than 30.I just can't rationalize spending a lot of money on hair products bc my hair is stagnant in growth so my products basically keep the hair on my head.

I only spend top dolla on Oyin Honey Hemp and Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle as far as staples go...lately i have been trying out stuff i can find locally on the ground tho...tired of getting coupons that only take off shipping:grin:

Now that I am using products without synthetics, my products cost more and I can't just drive up the street to buy them. It cose $25 to $30 for my mud wash. And my conditioners and styling products are typically $12+. I could always reduce the cost by making it myself but some vendors just have better blends than I can make myself or I don't feel like buying all the ingredients to make it. QUOTE]

^^This!!!! I splurge on Darcy's, Oyin and Qhemet products. I dont mind though because I enjoy supporting Black owned businesses. Yeah I could make equally effective products myself, but most of the time I just dont feel like buying all the ingrediants and mixing them up. The only thing that I refuse to spend lots of money on are hair tools and accessories. I will hit up a yard sale or the Dolla store with the quickness!

I don't buy anything expensive. I use cheapie conditioners and add oils (jojoba, EVCO, EVOO, Castor Oil,ex) to my dc's and get good results. I try to buy my oils on sale at the health store near my house. For leave in's I use Mixed Silk or Cantu Shae Butter the Kimmay method. For styling I use either Eco Styler Gel, Aloe Vera Gel mixed with oil and conditioner. I also use Shae Butter. Every once and a while I spluge on a Dominican Conditioner at my local BSS. I want to try Lacio Lacio leave in. It has some great reviews.

Right now this is what my budget allows. But, I don't ever see myself spending more than 15.00 for a DC. In the future, I may spend more for a styling product and definitely more for hair appliances. For now I gotta work with what I got!

Last edited:
I splurge on Oyin Handmade and Qhemet Biologics' stylers/moisturizers. My deep conditioners are from Aubrey Organics, so I would price that as splurging as well. :look:

No wonder a sista is broke!!

I will splurge on hair products. I love QB products. Since going natural (and being allergic to so many things) this product is worth it because It works very well, lasts forever, and doesn't make me itch.

I would like my next purchase to be a dual use steamer (hair & skin) and a Pibbs dryer.

Currently I splurge on Curl Junkie, but I usually end up buying them at 40-50% off when there's a coupon or flash sale on AveYou.com or in a swap at this point so I haven't paid full price for it yet.

Other products are Oyin and Darcy's Botanical's (mostly because of the shipping).

Aveda. I go everywhere and come back to it. I have now accepted nothing deep conditions my hair in 15 mins like Aveda DR intensive so out comes the card.

Also BKT. I bought Global almost two and a half years ago and I'm still on the same bottle. The price seemed ridiculous but now I can say was well worth it.

I don't have a problem splurging. I love purchasing a well-made, unique product from the vendors. I will splurge on a well-made cleanser with a quickness. If I want something that's made with a luxury butter or oil or botanicals, then that usually comes with a price tag. Rarely am I disappointed when I pay big dollars. But, I'm not above the drugstore or Sally's, either. It depends on what's in the product. And, you can't appreciate the quality of a quality product until you've experienced a cheap one. Oh, and I never buy cheap appliances.

I pray a pretty penny for my Lianage Shea Butter Relaxer (about 19.00).

I also fell in love with Silk Dreams Products. I am sure that this brand will empty my pocket.

I pay a lot for Indigo, but I refuse to go back to synthetic dyes.

For me, some hair tools are worth the expense (like my Magic Star seamless comb) while others can be replaced with their more economical counterparts (both my $20 flatiron and $40 hard hat dryer will get the job done).

Hair products, however, are an entirely different story. Since the vast majority of the cheaper hair products perform poorly on my hair, I am always willing to pay the cost for more effective hair merchandise - within reason. If your product costs $12-$15, it had better be at least an 8oz container and contain some decent ingredients. Don’t mix up some shea and cocoa butter with water, coconut oil, olive oil, and AVJ/AVG and expect me to jump up and down.

Back