Safely Removing Build Up After Braids

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
So, I'm finished taking my braids out and I have a lot of build up in my hair. I kept my braids in for four months, the longest I've ever worn one install and I don't know how to remove all this dirt.

Any suggestions? I read ACV rinse may help but I'm afraid to do something that may cause my hairto become matted.

*I used search but it didn't yield any results I'm looking for.

I plan to keep my braids just as long. I plan to alternate washing with a clarifying shampoo and moisturizing shampoo. Probably about 6 washes total. Update this thread whatever you do.

Good luck

I do it similarly, but my suggestions for the future as a person whose worn braids for most of my life. Make a detangling mix which should include aloe vera juice, a conditioner with a ton of slip such as HE Hello Hydration, olive oil, and a tbsp of ACV. Put the mix in a spray bottle and saturate your hair from scalp to most of the braid, wrap your hair and leave it overnight. In the morning removing shed hair will be a BREEZE, all the dirt will just slide out.

Also, NEVER take out all of the braids then detangle. Detangle as you go each braid at a time.

@sj10460 How did your real hair hold up in braids for 4 months? What was your routine? I would like to keep faux locs in for 3-4 months but I'm afraid of my real hair matting/dreading.

@julzinha What is your braid routine? Is your real hair still relatively healthy after each take down? I'm considering wearing braids/faux locs exclusively for the next 6-8 months (2 installs) but I want to make sure I don't do more harm than good.

@LBoogie85 my hair did well, all things considered. I retain two inches of new growth, which I'm pleased with. I did have some matting in the back from the build up and I lost some hair but that's because I got irritated and impatient with removing the build up and the detangling process. If I had more patience I'm sure it would have worked out fine.

My routine was pretty simple; moisture my braids daily with condition and water, oil my scalp every three days and wash every 10 days. I also took hair vitamins which I think help because my hair is softer and shinier. I could tell with my new growth that my hair was growing in nicely from the vitamins.

I won't keep them in for as long again because the build up was just too much for me and I contemplating just taking a pair scissors several of times and just cutting.

I just had the same issue alittle while back with my braids. I have my hair braided in a beehive underneath my wigs but I wash/cond a few time a week and airdry/apply green magic. When I finally did my take down after about a month (give or take a few days) I had SO much buildup and new growth tangled around relaxed hair.

I applied shea moisture purification masque and left that on for 30 min and then did my normal routine with nexxus shampoo/conditioner.

I find I get a lot of build up with braids because of whatever gel/jam/products the braided typically use at the root... otherwise I wouldnt havery an issue. I usually keep mine for 2 months.

I just try to be super patient. I also use oil to remove the build up, it qorks for me

@sj10460 How did your real hair hold up in braids for 4 months? What was your routine? I would like to keep faux locs in for 3-4 months but I'm afraid of my real hair matting/dreading.

@julzinha What is your braid routine? Is your real hair still relatively healthy after each take down? I'm considering wearing braids/faux locs exclusively for the next 6-8 months (2 installs) but I want to make sure I don't do more harm than good.
@LBoogie85 Yup my real hair is extremely healthy, but I've picked up so many tips and tricks over the years.

My braid regimen consist of moisturizing with a mix of Infusium 23 (old formula can find at Sallys) mixed with African Pride Olive Miracle Braid Spray, and a little Aloe Vera Juice. I moisturize every other day. I find moisturizing daily to be excessive when I've done it in the past. I put the mix in a spray bottle and focus on saturating the length of my real hair in the braid, I will then squeeze the braids to make sure the moisture mix gets inside. I was my hair every 10 days with a sulfate free tea tree based shampoo such as Trader Joes Tingle Tree Shampoo or Giovanni Tea Tree. I put the undiluted shampoo in my finger tips and massage my scalp to get it clean. Then I dilute the shampoo in bottle of water to wash the length of my braids. Then I rinse and condition with Suave Tropical Coconut and leave it in for softness. I also apply Njoy Oil on my scalp every other day.

Then as soon as you take out the braids prepoo with coconut oil and clarify. I need to strip my hair of the dirt and oils. Afterward, I do a hard protein treatment, I mix Aphogee 2 step with Neutral Protein Filler. I suggest that this step is mandatory especially if you are doing a back to back braid regimen. Your hair needs to be at it's best. Then I DC and apply a moisturizing leave in. Then back in braids in about week.

ETA: Make sure you go to a great braider. I've had setbacks due to bad braiders in the past. When you are done your head should not hurt one bit. Ask if they braid with a technique where they braid around the hair instead of picking at it. Ask for larger parts around your edges. Also, if you are using synthetic hair I suggest X-Pressions because the hair is very smooth and light. DO NOT blow dry your hair before you get it done. It should be soft, moisturized, and detangled. Also, DO NOT let her bring a rattail comb near your head unless it's for parting. That will do so much damage to your hair.

Last edited:
I find I get a lot of build up with braids because of whatever gel/jam/products the braided typically use at the root... otherwise I wouldnt havery an issue. I usually keep mine for 2 months.

I just try to be super patient. I also use oil to remove the build up, it qorks for me
Ladies, BRING YOUR OWN PRODUCTS!! Many braiders like to you grease for this step which definitely aids in build up especially at the nape. Bring your own cream based moisturizer to avoid that. I bring Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer.

@LBoogie85 my hair did well, all things considered. I retain two inches of new growth, which I'm pleased with. I did have some matting in the back from the build up and I lost some hair but that's because I got irritated and impatient with removing the build up and the detangling process. If I had more patience I'm sure it would have worked out fine.

My routine was pretty simple; moisture my braids daily with condition and water, oil my scalp every three days and wash every 10 days. I also took hair vitamins which I think help because my hair is softer and shinier. I could tell with my new growth that my hair was growing in nicely from the vitamins.

I won't keep them in for as long again because the build up was just too much for me and I contemplating just taking a pair scissors several of times and just cutting.

I have a similar issue and what worked for me was asking the braider to make larger parts in the back of my head. Also, removing those braids and getting them redone every 3 weeks.

I oil my hair and scalp the night before braiding. I don't let my braider put anything, not even mousse and I've gone to the same person for years.
I run three times a week and weight train twice.

Last edited:
I'm getting a lot of great advice from this thread. I too plan on installing braids in 2wks for the summer. I'm installing box braids.

Question, which is a better product to use when installing braids; a moisturizer or grease? I was gonna use shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie to set my braids. I plan on stretching the hair with my curlformers the night before.

Do NOT use a cream based anything when getting braids! That is what is causing your buildup. Use water/oil based moisturizers but avoid creams. When I had braids, they were a breeze to take down because I didn't have a lot of gunk on my strands. Hardly any. Twice a week, I used an applicator bottle to apply diluted shampoo to my scalp, massaged between braids, and rinsed (my scalp is oily). I applied braid spray (water based) daily to moisturize. My hair was ridiculously soft when I removed the braids that I would consider getting braids for that alone.

Last edited:
^^^, ok so I def wont be using shea moisture then since that is cream based. I think I watch some more braiding videos on youtube to see what products they are using to set their braids.

Do you ladies have any suggestions?

I use GVP Detangler from Sally's when I take down braids. It was AMAZING!! I've tried Cowboy magic and Mane & Tail Detangler but GVP works best. I wrote about it on my blog: http://goingnaturaltransitioningtonaturalhair.com/ever-had-a-detangling-orgasm-gvp-the-detangler/

I use Infusium 23, my oil mix and S Curl on my braids between washes. I also use seamless combs.

ETA: I've had the fastest braid take downs ever with this combination. I detangled my hair yesterday after 9 weeks in crochet braids in 2 hours (not 5 - 6 hours) using GVP Detangler. There was not a lot of build up because I have not used cream based products in my hair. This is a photo of all the shed hair. The trouble spots were at the front where I had used gel and edge control.

Attachments

• 20150523_160823.jpg
    20150523_160823.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
@pelohello I've used water and whipped (or vigorously stirred) shea butter for braids. I've also used a very small amount of grease (on my scalp). I try not to use too much of anything to avoid gunky buildup. But whenever I have braids, because I keep them in for ages, I tend to redo them one by one as the grow out or become loose. So they never look old (I don't like that look) and the build up isn't that intense when it's time for the take down.

Last edited:
tumblr_nifza7d5T21t43y1po1_1280.png

tumblr_nifza7d5T21t43y1po9_1280.png

tumblr_nifza7d5T21t43y1po5_1280.png

tumblr_nifza7d5T21t43y1po4_1280.png

tumblr_nifza7d5T21t43y1po6_1280.png

tumblr_nifza7d5T21t43y1po2_1280.png

tumblr_nifza7d5T21t43y1po7_1280.png

tumblr_nifza7d5T21t43y1po3_1280.png

Detangling Natural Hair After Removing Braids

This weekend, my little sis removed her box braids and needed help detangling her hair, so I offered to help. I thought that doing so would be a great learning experience and experiment for the both of us.

Before the take-down:

• Told my little sis to deep condition the night before to make taking the braids down the next day easier, and to make her hair less susceptible to breakage
After the take-down:

• Her hair was pretty matted at the roots (as you can see in the third picture above). So, I decided to mist water on the section I was working on and then gently separate the matted hair to get the dirt to come apart.
  • After that, I used a combination of water, Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Tingle conditioner (for slip), and organic apple cider vinegar to finger detangle my little sister’s hair. I added the ACV because it acts as a natural detangler. It also helps to melt much of the dirt/buildup away.
  • After all sections were fully detangled, I trimmed her ends and applied coconut oil to each section for an overnight pre-poo to prep her hair for wash day in the morning.
And that is it! The detangling process after the braid removal took a total of approximately 3 hours–and no combs were needed. I’m really happy that we were able to successfully detangle her hair. It was actually painless. This method should also work for twists, and other types of styles requiring the use of extensions. I hope this helps!

Source

So, I'm finished taking my braids out and I have a lot of build up in my hair. I kept my braids in for four months, the longest I've ever worn one install and I don't know how to remove all this dirt.

Any suggestions? I read ACV rinse may help but I'm afraid to do something that may cause my hairto become matted.

*I used search but it didn't yield any results I'm looking for.

Hey @sj20460 This is a good topic! I tend to have build up after braids. Here's what I did after this take down. I have some Nuzoral shampoo. I applied it to my scalp during a shower wash and somewhat heavily. I then applied a deep conditioner and protein on the ends. I went under the dryer. I rinsed it out and braided my hair and wore it in a nappy bun. Now I have washed my hair again after that first application. The initial Nizoral caused the residue ( I have some seborrheic dermatitis also) to crust. I proceeded to section my hair and using a smaller tooth comb on the scalp, I lifted the residue after sectioning in rows. I believe that after that repeated application I got all the stuff off of my scalp. How does that sound to you? I am just entering the thread and want to read what everyone else said. Thank you for starting this thread!!!

@sj10460 Hello Again! I read the thread. I use SSI moisture mist to moisturize my hair while in my cornrows, I use a little JBCO or Liquid gold on a small breakage area that I have had for a few years. I have not been real consistent while treating this area. I am out of that Afroveda ACV. I forgot to mention that I did use some of that SM purification mask during my first treatment. I also used some come clean shampoo. I am sure that my scalp is absolutely free of any buildup. What about you ladies?!!:driver:

@LBoogie85 Yup my real hair is extremely healthy, but I've picked up so many tips and tricks over the years.

My braid regimen consist of moisturizing with a mix of Infusium 23 (old formula can find at Sallys) mixed with African Pride Olive Miracle Braid Spray, and a little Aloe Vera Juice. I moisturize every other day. I find moisturizing daily to be excessive when I've done it in the past. I put the mix in a spray bottle and focus on saturating the length of my real hair in the braid, I will then squeeze the braids to make sure the moisture mix gets inside. I was my hair every 10 days with a sulfate free tea tree based shampoo such as Trader Joes Tingle Tree Shampoo or Giovanni Tea Tree. I put the undiluted shampoo in my finger tips and massage my scalp to get it clean. Then I dilute the shampoo in bottle of water to wash the length of my braids. Then I rinse and condition with Suave Tropical Coconut and leave it in for softness. I also apply Njoy Oil on my scalp every other day.

Then as soon as you take out the braids prepoo with coconut oil and clarify. I need to strip my hair of the dirt and oils. Afterward, I do a hard protein treatment, I mix Aphogee 2 step with Neutral Protein Filler. I suggest that this step is mandatory especially if you are doing a back to back braid regimen. Your hair needs to be at it's best. Then I DC and apply a moisturizing leave in. Then back in braids in about week.

ETA: Make sure you go to a great braider. I've had setbacks due to bad braiders in the past. When you are done your head should not hurt one bit. Ask if they braid with a technique where they braid around the hair instead of picking at it. Ask for larger parts around your edges. Also, if you are using synthetic hair I suggest X-Pressions because the hair is very smooth and light. DO NOT blow dry your hair before you get it done. It should be soft, moisturized, and detangled. Also, DO NOT let her bring a rattail comb near your head unless it's for parting. That will do so much damage to your hair.

I took your suggestion and purchased the xpressions kankelon hair. Gee whiz, it was pricey. It was 4.99 a pack. I usually buy Vivica's hair for 1.99. However, once I compared the two I immediately noticed the difference in quality. So my plan is to use the Xpressions hair in the front and if I dont have enough hair I will use the Vivica hair in the back. I also noticed that you get more hair with the xpressions hair than you do with the Vivica hair.

I took your suggestion and purchased the xpressions kankelon hair. Gee whiz, it was pricey. It was 4.99 a pack. I usually buy Vivica's hair for 1.99. However, once I compared the two I immediately noticed the difference in quality. So my plan is to use the Xpressions hair in the front and if I dont have enough hair I will use the Vivica hair in the back. I also noticed that you get more hair with the xpressions hair than you do with the Vivica hair.
Xpressions is great quality synthetic. You will notice a difference when you braid you hair. It comes out smoother and lighter.

The braids are a lot longer. Depending on how tall you are you can cute each bag into four section and still have BSL/Waist length braids. I found this user when researching Xpressions hair. She has a bunch of videos on braiding that may be helpful.

@sj10460 I think your build up was from using the conditioner everyday. If you massaged your scalp regularly and washed scalp every 10 days it wasn't necessary to also spritz daily with conditioner that you were not washing out. Unless you're doing extremes like swimming where you need to get the chlorine out, when in braids you don't have to do all of the maintenance steps you'd do as if hair is out. You can always do a hard protein/moisturizing treatment when you remove the braids.

@sj10460 I think your build up was from using the conditioner everyday. If you massaged your scalp regularly and washed scalp every 10 days it wasn't necessary to also spritz daily with conditioner that you were not washing out. Unless you're doing extremes like swimming where you need to get the chlorine out, when in braids you don't have to do all of the maintenance steps you'd do as if hair is out. You can always do a hard protein/moisturizing treatment when you remove the braids.
I agree! My braid regimen is completely different from my hair regimen outside of braids. The products I use differ and I dont DC.

I went to pick up some hair yesterday. I could not remember the name of this hair ( expressions). They did not have it anyway. I will put a note in my phone to get some the next time I purchase.

Back