Rollerstetting confusion

freckledface

Ive already searched for a rollersetting thread and did not find what I needed if yall could explain it to me I'd really appreciate it!
How do u choose rollers? I know bigger roller bigger curl but what's too big (I'm apl inch or so from bsl) also I'm not looking for big hair my hair is already very thick
I know you pull the rollers taunt but how do you make the clips stay in place? I can already see my rollers falling
What's better foam or liquid setting lotion?
And anything else you can think of that a newbie should know this will be my first time trying this never even had a rollerset before
Thanks in advance

freckledface
Basically the bigger the roller, the looser the curl. You say your hair is thick and you are not looking for big hair, but if you flat iron the roots after you take out your rollers you will reduce volume. You can also wrap it.
I chose my rollers by buying 4 different widths. I bought the blue (huge), gray (large), purple (medium) and green (small). I bought all different widths because I need the smaller ones for litle nooks and cranies if I want all of them to fit perfectly, I put a small green roller in there (for example, the area behind the ear where my hair curves in. I don't always do it, sometimes I use just the purple ones there but for example yesterday I used the green ones behind my ears. I have one of those plastic bags where bedsheets come in and I nest the smaller rollers into the big ones together with the clips and keep them on my bathroom cabinet.

The clips: I use this type:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/metal-clips/SLNCAR21,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

You see that little U at the end of the clip? That will allow it to slide in completely onto the roller and that way it won't stick out and you will be able to position adjacent rollers closer. MsKibibi recommended these clips, they are also sold by the box which is what you would need.

Part your hair into the section that will go onto the roller, I prefer my hair to be very wet and the ends to stick to the magnetic roller, so I spray the section, use my fine tooth comb (hair is already well detangled before that so you are just using your finetooth comb to make all the strands smooth on the roller). Section cannot be wider than the roller you will be using, you must be able to see the roller on the ends and your hair in the middle. Roll, pull it taut, roll again, pull it taut against the scalp and place 2 clips not in the middle but more towards the back if that makes sense.
blog_attachment.php

Roller must not be wobbly. One thing that helps me (but not my arms) is to, if let's say I'm putting the roller on my crown, then I pull the section forward towards my forehead and roll, pull, roll, pull.

Like this:
blog_attachment.php

I don't use setting lotion. I have used Keracare foam, Mizani foam and Mizani liquid and Lottabody but don't like any of them. I put some leave in conditioner (a bit) and serum, and sometimes Aphogee Green tea liquid on my spray bottle and I get silky results all the time.

I have a rollerset tutorial on my LHCF blog, you can see it here. I did all my rollers up as I'm used to it but you can do it down.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?u=6364

I suggest having a spray bottle handy with water. If you'd like you can mix water and a little leave in. i used to use only water and infusium 23 to set and my hair always came out strong but bouncy (Note: infusium 23 may leave hair a little hard which can be easily removed with some light oil or oil sheen spray. adding water really helps). The spraybottle is useful to wet hair that has already dried. I'm a slow roller so my hair is almost dry by the time I'm ready to start the next section.

Also make sure you stay until all the hair is completely dry if you want a sleek and smooth set. Damp hair leads to frizz and quicker reversion. Some problem areas are usually the nape and near the ears because depending on your dryer, they may not receive enough hot air to dry.

Hey Everyone! And Hey danysedai, I missed you so much! :kiss:

OP, our hair is the same length. To get straight hair, I use 2" in gray rollers all over. Keep it simple the first time you do it. If you want body and bump, you can use a mixture of gray and purple (1 3/4") rollers.

tools: I have rollers, a spray bottle with diluted conditioner (I don't use foam or setting lotion), clips, a rattail comb, and a hairnet. I have a powerful hooded dryer that requires users to wear a hair net.

Stay away from the smaller rollers unless you want a feather style.

The tips above are great to follow.

Thank you ladies for all the helpful tips! I bought a net, red, grey, and purple rollers a lil over kill I know :) but I will stay with your tips Angelicus and use only the grey this time. I'm going to try this tonight using Aphogee green tea GF sleek and shine maybe my 14n1 all the while looking at danysedai tutorial thanks yall!

Back