Rollersetting Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Tee
  • Start date Start date
T

Tee

So, I'm going to give this roller setting thing a serious try. Now, for my question. Is it better to use pins or clips to secure the rollers? What do you use? And is it necessary to use end papers?

Before coming to this board, I could never get my hair to set properly. But I read a post about flexi rods. They are called super rods where i live. I tried them once and become hooked because you do not have to use pins or clips. I use them for curly sets and i gotten my whole family hooked on them. My curly set last about 4-5 days.

Hi Tee!

I started with the covers that match the magnetic rollars (smooth rollars with holes). Then after a few months I graduated up to using the silver clips that are used in Dominican salons. I much prefer these because it eliminates that 'kink' or bump mark that rollar covers leave when removed from dried hair.

I don't believe end papers are necessary at all. A few use them. Definitely do a search for Amillion's brilliant post step by step guide on rollarsetting. Its what gave me that light bulb moment from
nuts.gif
to
trampoline.gif
it makes sense!!

Like BRH, I too used the covers that came with the magnetic rollers. I learned that if u use the clips instead of the "covers", then u'll really speed up your drying time (the warm heat can get directly to your hair). Also, I use those large jumbo rollers that are larger than a fist...the clips hold those large jumbo rollers in place really nicely.
smile.gif

Yrs ago I used to use "pins" with "mesh" rollers (I think that's what they're called... it's a wire roller with a netting cover, and brush bristles in the center core). Anywho, the pins used to cause "major" breakage to my strands...sliding them through the hair & roller, then back out again.
mad.gif

For years I used the snap ons...but the last 2 months I've been using just the long silve clips. I don't use end papers.

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone describe the type of clips you use for your rollersets, I think I want to stop using the covers.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use some similiar to these, except mine are flat and not curved...
292501.jpg

Will clips really speed up the drying time? I stop rollersetting because it took my hair 3 1/2 hours to dry.

It doesn't seem to speed up my drying time (using the clips). Either one dries the same amount of time for me.

I find what speeds up drying time is using as large a rollar your hair can comfortably take. I moved from purples to gray ones and I think it helps the air circulate better because the rollar size is bigger. Also, not loading too much hair on each rollar cuts down drying time.

I've seen or heard products that help cut down on drying time but I've not used them before.

The clips for me just stop the kinks that covers used to leave in my hair. Not sure if it speeds up drying time....
scratchchin.gif

BRH is correct. The larger the roller, the less time it will take for your hair to dry. I also use the magnetic rollers (gray) and the duck clips. I'd use a bigger roller but my dryer cannot accomodate my big head AND big rollers. I don't use end papers either.

I use the snap on matching covers. Never could master those clips, I get them tangled in my hair. No end papers.

Back