Rollersetting Help

Lurkee

Hi,

I need advice on what to do after rollersetting. I want to stop straightening my hair after. The problems I currently face are:

1. Kinks in hair from plastic covers
  2. Permanent parts from rollers that no amount of finger combing can get rid of
  3. Styling options - Hair is usually back in ponytail or bun straight after

Please can anyone help on how to manage these problems?

Hi,

I need advice on what to do after rollersetting. I want to stop straightening my hair after. The problems I currently face are:

1. Kinks in hair from plastic covers If your roots are kinky it's probably because you are not rolling tight enough or you are putting too much hair on each roller. Try decreasing the amount of hair on each roller and also roll your hair upwards instead of downwards while pulling the hair firmly.
  2. Permanent parts from rollers that no amount of finger combing can get rid of The only thing that will help with this is using a comb. You have to comb those parts out.
  3. Styling options - Hair is usually back in ponytail or bun straight after I can't help you here. My styling skills are extremely limited.

Please can anyone help on how to manage these problems?

@HappilyLiberal, Thank you the advice. What I mean by kinks are the dents in my hair from the plastic covers rather than my roots having texture.

Then that probably really is from putting too much hair on the roller. The clip is gripping too much hair so it is denting the hair. Also, make sure your hair is COMPLETELY dry before removing the rollers.

Last edited:
Lurkee

To smooth dents from roller clips, you can either wrap your hair afterwards or pin curl and as you pin curl smooth out the dents

to eliminate dents from roller clips, change the clips to the duckbill ones. Anchor one roller to your scalp and then use that roller to secure the other rollers to each other. Youtuber buildablebeauty has an old video where she does this.

To lessen the appearance of parts, I rake my fingers through my hair near the scalp like I'm doing a scalp massage but I rake and shake to get rid of parts.

Rollersetting takes practice so don't give up!

HTH!

Try using roller clips instead of the snap on covers.

If you're going for a sleek wrapped look, wrap your hair after removing the rollers, and sit back under dryer for 10 mins (maybe try the saran wrap technique).

If you want curls, then I also suggest pin curling the hair, or rolling with the satin sponge rollers.

Definitely check you tube for tutorials.

use the largest rollers you can for a smooth, straight look. i do this when i strictly want to bun my hair. also make sure your parts are thin and roll upward. i use duckbill clips. also you can use a wide tooth comb or your fingers to separate your strands.

Thank you shortdub78. I will definitely:
1. Use smaller parts
2. Use roller clips instead of covers
3. Roll upwards
4. Use a comb at the roots to remove parts

Thanks guys.

I think everyone covered what I would say:
-Use the duckbill clips rather than the plastic covers.
-Make sure your hair is totally, completely dry before you remove rollers.
-Use a comb/massage your scalp to get rid of the parting.
-As far as a style, try a roller wrap. After you take the rollers out, just wrap it. I keep it like that for just a few minutes then comb it down. This usually takes care of the parts too. I don't wrap it anymore after that; I just follow my normal routine until next wash day.

Good luck!

I agree with the advice you've been given.
I made a 3 part picture rollerset tutorial on how I do my hair on my blog here at LHCF. I don't like the look of just taking the rollers out and shake it, so I flat iron the roots.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?u=6364

I use small parts
I rollerset up for the front, sometimes I roller set the back up, sometimes down.
I use tension when roller setting, start rolling, tug a bit to tense the hair at the newgrowth, roll again, tug a bit, etc.
Use the duckbill clips that MsKibibi recommended, the ones with the deep C at the end.
I spray liberally so my hair is wet and clings to the rollers.

Afterwards you can wrap it or pin curl it, or use flexirods.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/blog.php?u=6364

Back