Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Wrap and airdry

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • Airdry

Votes: 123 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tryn2growmyhair

Do you rollerset or airdry and which one has allowed you to grow your hair? I ask because I got my hair done today and yet ANOTHER hairdresser told me that my hair does not do well with airdrying. She said that my roots would be hard from doing this and that I should rollerset or wrap my hair and then go under a dryer. She also said not to wait long for a relaxer. I think that this does not work well for my hair. I need to go every 8 weeks from now on. Too much breakage at 14 weeks. Things really went down hill after 10 weeks.

I voted before I read your post. I voted "Rollerset and allow to Airdry" because I thought it was the best method to avoid heat and have your hair look nice too. But if you want less manipulation, I guess you would have to just airdry only but your hair just wouldn't look as nice.

I rollerset and airdry overnight. So far, so good. :up:
About stretching relaxers, I feel it's important to go by what one's hair prefers. Everyone is different. Some can stretch for several months without problems and others can only do 6-8 weeks before breakage starts, and that's ok.

airdried rollersets are my MO. THe best thing that has happened to my hair. It's been 3 1/2 months of constant airdried rollersets and my breakage has been radically reduced to near nil and mu ends are always smooth and moist. I love them!

If you want to stretch your relaxers maybe you can have your hair braided in between, that way you won't be manipulating your hair which could lead to breakage.

I voted for rollerset and sit under the dryer. I do a combination of sitting under the dryer and air-drying my rollerset as I don't have a lot of patience to sit under there the whole time. Thank God seriously that I have finally learned how to do a very good rollerset and doobie also. Practice really pays off.

PrettyBrownEyes said:
If you want to stretch your relaxers maybe you can have your hair braided in between, that way you won't be manipulating your hair which could lead to breakage.

I voted for rollerset and sit under the dryer. I do a combination of sitting under the dryer and air-drying my rollerset as I don't have a lot of patience to sit under there the whole time. Thank God seriously that I have finally learned how to do a very good rollerset and doobie also. Practice really pays off.

Thanks so much. Could you share your tips with us? How long are you under the dryer and how long do you airdry? I found that rollersets were thinning my edges. Is there anything that I can do about this?

Initially I may start off under the dryer (Medium Setting) for 15-20, 30 minutes and then get up and do some things: laundry, dishes, read to my son etc. I also may switch the temp to high, briefly just to speed things up, but, I really prefer leaving it at medium. It takes my hair about 2-hours to dry.

I check to see if its dry by removing a roller every now and then in different areas. If its still damp I go back under the dryer. Once its completely dry I let it cool for 10 minutes (not using a dryer) then I remove the rollers and go on from there.

PrettyBrownEyes said:
Initially I may start off under the dryer (Medium Setting) for 15-20, 30 minutes and then get up and do some things: laundry, dishes, read to my son etc. I also may switch the temp to high, briefly just to speed things up, but, I really prefer leaving it at medium. It takes my hair about 2-hours to dry.

I check to see if its dry by removing a roller every now and then in different areas. If its still damp I go back under the dryer. Once its completely dry I let it cool for 10 minutes (not using a dryer) then I remove the rollers and go on from there.

This is EXACTLY what I do :)

I find myself rollersetting (& going under the dryer) less and less lately... I find that I can get very comparable results by just letting my hair airdry then doing my mohawk set (with sponge rollers) at night. My hair also looks a lot thicker this way compared to when I rollerset. :up:

I only rollerset now when I want my hair to have that light, swingy feeling.

I normally rollerset and airdry, but last night I rollerset and sat under the dryer on cool for about 30-45 minutes, then I let it airdry overnight. This morning my hair is bouncer than it has been. I don't know if it is because I use the dryer or becasue I didn't use setting lotion. But I'm loving it this morning.

tryn2growmyhair said:
Do you rollerset or airdry and which one has allowed you to grow your hair? I ask because I got my hair done today and yet ANOTHER hairdresser told me that my hair does not do well with airdrying. She said that my roots would be hard from doing this and that I should rollerset or wrap my hair and then go under a dryer. She also said not to wait long for a relaxer. I think that this does not work well for my hair. I need to go every 8 weeks from now on. Too much breakage at 14 weeks. Things really went down hill after 10 weeks.
I rollerset and sit under the dryer. Plus I think the products I use when I rollerset help a great deal to straighten my roots some.

I have similar results when I airdry. I realize that my hair does not do well when I airdry and I have a great deal of new growth. The last time I relaxed at 10 weeks because I saw breakage, however I am currently 11 weeks and I can say that it is due to the fact that I tried Sta Sof Fro on my roots and it makes a WORLD of difference. My roots are MUCH softer and since I don't comb my hair (well I finger comb a little) I have not seen much, if any, breakage. Have you tried using something that will soften your roots some?

Also, relaxing every 8 weeks is not bad either. My plan was to try to go one extra week each time it came for a relaxer until I got to 12 weeks. Maybe try that.

LadyR said:
I normally rollerset and airdry, but last night I rollerset and sat under the dryer on cool for about 30-45 minutes, then I let it airdry overnight. This morning my hair is bouncer than it has been. I don't know if it is because I use the dryer or becasue I didn't use setting lotion. But I'm loving it this morning.
Was this the first time LadyR that you rollerset under the dryer on cool?

Whenever I relax my hair, I through in a good leave-in (DNL Protective Leave-In or Salerm 21), roll it up, and let it air dry. To make it dry fully, it can take a day. I use no haeat (except for when I'm deep conditioning).

My hair is rollerset and I go under the dryer at the salon, but at home, I airdry. I do my own hair at least twice as often as I go to the salon, so I selected airdrying. I don't understand these stylists who suggest that airdrying is harmful to hair, though. How can no heat ever be a bad thing--I would be very interested in hearing a detailed explanation why rollersetting is best...hard roots? That is easily solved by using a moisturizer.

I rollerset and sit under the dryer once or twice a week. I was born in Madagascar and I always had long hair and sometimes very long hair. My mother was hairdresser there and she started to set me inrollers as young as 6. I was quickly on the largest rollers she had (2 inches) because I had curly hair. So I have been accustomed and in fact I never used another haircare technique. Once married, I tried to switch to the blowdry. One day I requested however a rollerset in a salon before a party. My husband found my hair very nice that night and he asked me to continue to manage my hair that way. So since 2 years I am back to the rollerset, I do it at home once or twice a week. My husband offered me a professional hood dryer. Recently he asked me to grow again my hair at waist length (I had this length when I was 16). It means long hours under the hood, but he is so nice that I will certainly comply with his wish .....

albane said:
I rollerset and sit under the dryer once or twice a week. I was born in Madagascar and I always had long hair and sometimes very long hair. My mother was hairdresser there and she started to set me inrollers as young as 6. I was quickly on the largest rollers she had (2 inches) because I had curly hair. So I have been accustomed and in fact I never used another haircare technique. Once married, I tried to switch to the blowdry. One day I requested however a rollerset in a salon before a party. My husband found my hair very nice that night and he asked me to continue to manage my hair that way. So since 2 years I am back to the rollerset, I do it at home once or twice a week. My husband offered me a professional hood dryer. Recently he asked me to grow again my hair at waist length (I had this length when I was 16). It means long hours under the hood, but he is so nice that I will certainly comply with his wish .....
Your husband sounds very nice! :) I would love to see pictures of your hair!

Airdrying has been good to me. I put my hair in two ponytails and add plenty of leave in conditioner and go to bed. I am very gentle with my hair and try to avoid pulling of any kind. Currently, I am wearing it curly and not straight. I love :love: SouthernGirl's airdry pics but my hair will laugh at me if I expect it to get that straight.

Did I mention I don't know how to rollerset... still? :look:

dreemssold said:
My hair is rollerset and I go under the dryer at the salon, but at home, I airdry. I do my own hair at least twice as often as I go to the salon, so I selected airdrying. I don't understand these stylists who suggest that airdrying is harmful to hair, though. How can no heat ever be a bad thing--I would be very interested in hearing a detailed explanation why rollersetting is best...hard roots? That is easily solved by using a moisturizer.
Is there a moisturizer that you would recommend. In the past, I have really thought that most stylists were trying to rip me off. However, I made it clear to this stylist that I was going to be doing my hair by myself at home. Also, she knew that I was from a hairboard, so she probably figured that I was not going to be coming in every week, :lol:! She STILL told me that I should rollerset at home. She said that everyone's hair is different and that my type of hair (it is super kinky) should only be airdried after it's been freshly relaxed. She said that rollersetting helps to soften the new growth.

What happens to me is that my roots become matted when they are airdryed and my hair is tangly and hard to comb. I felt so bad for this stylist, because I was about 14 weeks post-relaxer but she still did a good job and did not charge me extra for all the extra work.

When my hair is rollerset (and blown with a hairdryer but I have stopped this), it is much easier to handle throughout the week, but I see shedding a lot. Either way, I shed a bit. However, I noticed after this relaxer that my hair did seem a little bit thicker, so something is working. I think that I will wait until I am four or five weeks post and then maybe try the method where I just sit under the dryer for 15 minutes -- I hate sitting under the dryer :mad:, which is why I liked airdrying -- and see if that helps to extend the relaxer to 8 weeks with minimal breakage.

KAddy said:
I rollerset and sit under the dryer. Plus I think the products I use when I rollerset help a great deal to straighten my roots some.

I have similar results when I airdry. I realize that my hair does not do well when I airdry and I have a great deal of new growth. The last time I relaxed at 10 weeks because I saw breakage, however I am currently 11 weeks and I can say that it is due to the fact that I tried Sta Sof Fro on my roots and it makes a WORLD of difference. My roots are MUCH softer and since I don't comb my hair (well I finger comb a little) I have not seen much, if any, breakage. Have you tried using something that will soften your roots some?

Also, relaxing every 8 weeks is not bad either. My plan was to try to go one extra week each time it came for a relaxer until I got to 12 weeks. Maybe try that.

Thanks for the tip. What products do you use?

albane said:
Thanks for the tip. Your hair sounds really nice. Tell me, Albane, why do so many women in France wear weaves? I notice this everytime that I go there. What products do black women in France use? I have seen the moelle du boef, buerre de karite (shea butter) and Kerastase (which I think is super expensive and I am not even sure about how many of our sisters use it) in French beauty supply stores that cater to Africans, but the last time I was in Paris I was really distressed by how many of my sisters wore weaves, or had nonexistent edges or really short, hair. This is so different from New York where a lot of women have at least shoulder length hair -- even if they are not mixed. What products hair products do African women use in France? I am curious, because I would like to know what works, so I can buy some of these products if I am there anytime soon. Thanks in advance for your response. It sounds like you have beautiful hair, congratulations on all of your growth. Do you use a relaxer or is your hair naturally curly? It sounds like you don't need a relaxer.

I, also, had hairstylists tell me not to airdry my hair. But my hair did very well when I did. I finally learned to (well almost) roller set my hair, when I discovered soft bonnet hair dryers (Ionic soft bonnet). Since I hate sitting under the dryer this really helped 'cuz I can move around. I've been roller setting for the past four months and my hair is doing even better (less breakage and better end retention) then when I air dried and the compliments just keep pouring in. It doesn't make any sense to me but it's working...

I'm still trying to figure out how to stretch my relaxers more than 7-8 weeks. I just end up with a ton of breakage at the demarcation line. Maybe it's because my hair is on the fine side?

When I first started airdrying I was experimenting with rollersets and ponytail method. I mainy use the ponytail method, but my hair looks and feels so much better with the rollerset method, it takes more time though!

I have to add that when my new growth is out I find putting my head under the hood dryer in a rollerset helps my hair. I apply a lite grease to my scalp, that and the heat and the deep conditioning helps me continue to roller set weeks into new growth.

Tryn2, I really do not know why there are so much short hair and weaves in the french african community .... maybe is it a kind of fashion and also the ease not to have to take care. France was really a country of long hair girls 20 years ago, but it has changed and it is true that most of the salons will not even be able to properly rollerset your hair. There is however a community of ethnic womens who really take care of their hair and some salons are specialized in it. There is such a carribean salon in the next block where I live. On weekends, you will find there a lot of young woman with very long hair (to the waist or more) and a huge rollerset is the rule - last time I visited, 3 girls were even unable to enter under the hood. Whatever teh case, the hair care is a great.
As for teh products, the cheapest are indeed US products. Kerastase is just a brand, so it is not a specific product but these products are indeed very expensive. products....

albane said:
Tryn2, I really do not know why there are so much short hair and weaves in the french african community .... maybe is it a kind of fashion and also the ease not to have to take care. France was really a country of long hair girls 20 years ago, but it has changed and it is true that most of the salons will not even be able to properly rollerset your hair. There is however a community of ethnic womens who really take care of their hair and some salons are specialized in it. There is such a carribean salon in the next block where I live. On weekends, you will find there a lot of young woman with very long hair (to the waist or more) and a huge rollerset is the rule - last time I visited, 3 girls were even unable to enter under the hood. Whatever teh case, the hair care is a great.
As for teh products, the cheapest are indeed US products. Kerastase is just a brand, so it is not a specific product but these products are indeed very expensive. products....

Thanks a lot for the info, Albane. I was wondering if it was in the water. In London, the water is SO HARD, I understand why our sisters there have shorter hair than sisters in NY. That water will literally cut your hair off if you are not careful. I saw lots of products in the Paris beauty supply stores that were french, but I did not know if they were that effective. I suspected that our sisters in Europe have to spend imported American products as opposed to their own :nono:. How funny, the French women are using American products and a lot of American women are using Spanish (Salerm) and Dominican products, :lol:! But honestly, I do feel lucky, because my friends overseas have a hard time finding products that I can find easily in NY -- such as Dominican and American products -- I feel like I have the best of both worlds.

bajanplums1 said:
I have to add that when my new growth is out I find putting my head under the hood dryer in a rollerset helps my hair. I apply a lite grease to my scalp, that and the heat and the deep conditioning helps me continue to roller set weeks into new growth.

So it helps you to extend your relaxer? I think I will try rollersets once I start to get a lot of new growth.

marla said:
When I first started airdrying I was experimenting with rollersets and ponytail method. I mainy use the ponytail method, but my hair looks and feels so much better with the rollerset method, it takes more time though!
So you rollerset and then airdry?

Back