Rollerset gone wrong.

Ms Red

Last night I did a rollerset and this morning my head looked like crap. My hair was too curly and when I tryed combing it out, it just looked like a hot mess with body. I ended up slapping some mango butter on it, doing the baggie and putting the phony pony on. :( I did what I usually do, but I am 11 weeks post and I don't know what the problem is. Please let me know what you think went wrong. This was my regimen:

I poo'd with Nexxus Therappe (which I didn't like). I usually use CON.
I conditioned with Nexxus Humectress for 10 minutes (no heat).
I deep conditioned with NTM Deep Recovery Hair Mask for 30 minutes (no heat).
After I washed this out and started parting my hair and I saturated my hair with NTM Hair Foam (I did this before with no problem).
After I was all rolled up I put my bonnet on and went to sleep. I usually sit under the dryer for 45-60 min. but I was too tired.

When I woke up I tool all the rollers down (I am using the size I always used- the black ones b/c my hair is not very long- neck length). All of my hair was dry but the curls were tight. At this point I usually flat iron the roots only (since I'm 11 weeks post & transitioning). I did that. But when I went to comb it, my hair was "stiff" and still tightly curled. It looked like a big poufy mess! What did I do wrong??? Should I have sat under the dryer instead of airdried? Or do I have to use bigger rollers or flat iron the entire section of hair instead of the roots only?? Am I using the wrong products? :mad:

I am really wondering what went wrong. The only difference between this rollerset and my last one (which came out beautifully) was that I airdried this time and I am now 11 weeks post versus 6-7 weeks post. Please help!!!!

Tia yall! :)
Cc

Last edited:
Do you mean curly, as in the curls were too tight from the roller size, OR do you mean that you had reversion?

If your curls were too tight, then you could have passed a blower over with a brush to loosen then up. You could have wrapped the hair, that would have also loosed them up.

If it's reversion and a lot of new growth, you may not have been completely dry. You may have also frizzed your hair up a little when you were sleeping. The moving may have prevented the hair from laying flat, in the same place.
ETA: You probably should have stayed under the dryer.

Thanks Webby. :) The curls were too tight b/c of the roller size. I think I might invest in some bigger rollers (which will stretch the new growth) and try blowing my roots out with a brush (like in your album).

In the meantime, I guess it's ponytails for me until then. :o

I agree with Webby. I sit under the dryer when I rollerset. I find that the new growth is easier to manage (I'm eight weeks post stretching about two more). I also divide the drying between the hooded dryer and air drying especially in the summer. I sit under the dryer for about 30-45 minutes and then walk around my house doing chores until my hair is dry. I also find that wrapping my hair even if it's for ten minutes after my hair is dry loosens the rollerset and makes it fall better.

HTH :)

Cupcake, I have a similar hairsetting prob today. I look a hot mess, cue to the fact that I tried to wetset my hair with flexirods and the hair never dried overnight. I had to take the rods out before dropping off my kids at camp and the hair was droopy and greasy and not fully formed curls. I'm trying to stretch out my retouch, but today has caused me to want to go get mine done now.

Thank you for the support, NYLady & Melodee. Thank God for DSD's "A Newcomers Guide To Starting Out" thread!!! I have gone to Rollersetting 101 and learned that I'm doing a couple of things wrong and I also found things that I can improve upon for my rollerset! :grin:

I will update yall- I will be trying this again shortly. I won't give up!!! :antlers:

cupcake said:
Thank you for the support, NYLady & Melodee. Thank God for DSD's "A Newcomers Guide To Starting Out" thread!!! I have gone to Rollersetting 101 and learned that I'm doing a couple of things wrong and I also found things that I can improve upon for my rollerset! :grin:

I will update yall- I will be trying this again shortly. I won't give up!!! :antlers:
Don't give up girl!!! Mistakes are ways to show you how you can improve yourself.
Looking forward to hearing how it turned out.

Back