Riddle me this regarding Oprah

Andre Walker does Oprah's hair, right? He is world renown, right? Why hasn't Oprah's hair hit waist. Do you think it's a choice or is Mr. Andre lacking in this area? She has access to the best and has had him for like two decades.

I remember prior to LHCF, Oprah was one of my favorite heads of hair. Her hair is thick and beautiful but never to APL or longer. Anyone else wonder about this?

Maybe her real hair is to her tail but she wears wigs a lot to protect it.

Most celebs do this to protect their hair from all that heat and daily abuse.

:look:

Um, not everyone has a goal for waist length hair. Haircare is just not about growing it out. You cannot judge someone’s haircare skills based on how long someone’s hair has grown. There is a thing called a haircut. What about style? Now if her hair were chewed up and unhealthy looking, I would question his skills.

Some thoughts:

Maybe she doesn't want long(er) hair. I wonder how healthy her hair is...

Maybe these big time stylists don't do hair care maybe just cut and style...

Maybe the clients are not following orders for how to maintain healthy hair at home..

On another note, I think I saw a disappointing hair pic of Janet too the other day :nono:

Perhaps your right. I still wonder about the length. Is it a choice to stay above APL? She does wear wigs alot lately. I would love to see her hair.

Some thoughts:

Maybe she doesn't want long(er) hair. I wonder how healthy her hair is...

Maybe these big time stylists don't do hair care maybe just cut and style...

Maybe the clients are not following orders for how to maintain healthy hair at home..

On another note, I think I saw a disappointing hair pic of Janet too the other day :nono:

I want to see. Off to google janet pictures.

Most of Oprah's camera shots are to her head and by her chest. I think long hair would take up to much of the camera. I'm just thinking of from a photographer's perspective. Think about it for a sec, do you ever so television newscasters and journalist with waistlength hair?

Last edited:
I remember watching an episode when Oprah had her hair in a ponytail(her natural hair), and it is APL. She said that Gail always asked her why she would wear a ponytail, and she said that when she was a little girl all that she ever wanted was a ponytail. Now, she has achieved that goal, and she is happy with it. She wears it quite often on the show.

On one show she had her hair in a ponytail, about shoulder length and she was so excited about being able to put it in a ponytail.

She also mentioned on that show that whites probably wouldn't understand but black women would.

I don't know how long ago this was, maybe 3 years? It was about the time she started wearing her hair curly. IMHO I don't think long hair would suit her.

I don't think Oprah would look good with long hair. Her hair suits her just fine as it is. And who is to say that she doesn't already have long hair but just keeps it covered. SWSNBN does this all the time and she has beautiful hair underneath her wigs.

I remember watching an episode when Oprah had her hair in a ponytail(her natural hair), and it is APL. She said that Gail always asked her why she would wear a ponytail, and she said that when she was a little girl all that she ever wanted was a ponytail. Now, she has achieved that goal, and she is happy with it. She wears it quite often on the show.

I missed that episode. I would have loved to see her with more length.

Maybe her real hair is to her tail but she wears wigs a lot to protect it.

Most celebs do this to protect their hair from all that heat and daily abuse.

I agree, its hard to say how long a celes hair is cuz most of them weave it up. If they wore their real hair regularly, I think it would be very damaged from all the coloring, heat, and the perms.

I remember when I first read about Andre, and he said 4b doesnt grow very long. Glad I found this site so I know otherwise.

On one show she had her hair in a ponytail, about shoulder length and she was so excited about being able to put it in a ponytail.

She also mentioned on that show that whites probably wouldn't understand but black women would.

I don't know how long ago this was, maybe 3 years? It was about the time she started wearing her hair curly. IMHO I don't think long hair would suit her.

This is what I remember, her talking about how much she liked her hair and how proud she was of gaining length.

In the begging, oprah's hair used to be the fabulosity/marvel of the time period. It was like u said thick , and there were times when it became very big/long as well. she has cut it down over and over , and has had varied bob lengths and styles. some flattering some not so. but with the constant cutting one would surmise that she does not want to grow her hair past a certain length. heck" she even said it herself when she walked out in public people used to rarely know it was her because she doesnt do her hair. she stlicks it back and andre does it for the show every day. she has no parts in its upkeep.

for the past coupl yrs she's been waering hair peices (unlike the first days). wether they be weaves or falls or what have you, they never seem to blend in well with her natural hair. so its a dead give away.
however seeing the fact that she doesnt even touch her own hair , waiting on andre to do it. im guessing she aint worried bout no waist length hair.

I remember the ponytail comment. She got a lot of fan mail negatively talking about the pony tail. I always loved oprah's hair. It looks so healthy and very thick. Most journalists don't wear their hair very long especially older journalists. It supposely ages the women.

I agree, its hard to say how long a celes hair is cuz most of them weave it up. If they wore their real hair regularly, I think it would be very damaged from all the coloring, heat, and the perms.

I remember when I first read about Andre, and he said 4b doesnt grow very long. Glad I found this site so I know otherwise.

ITA. I remember when he said this. I actually believed him :rolleyes:. I figured he was an expert so he must know.

Longer hair doesn't complement everyone. I think Shoulder length is the longest that Oprah SHOULD go.

My length is APL right now, but if a stylist could cut me to shoulder length but it complimented my features then chop me up! lol

ITA. I remember when he said this. I actually believed him :rolleyes:. I figured he was an expert so he must know.

yeah I believed him too. It was right before I found this forum. And I was having problems with my hair. When I read what he said, I was like man I knew my hair could never be healthy and long. But thankd Gof for dorums like these.

I remember the ponytail comment. She got a lot of fan mail negatively talking about the pony tail. I always loved oprah's hair. It looks so healthy and very thick. Most journalists don't wear their hair very long especially older journalists. It supposely ages the women.

Why negative mail? If she want's to be proud of her length what is the problem :ohwell: ? The only black jounalist type I see with long hair is the lady on the weather channel. She's pushing bra strap and it doesn't seem overwhelming at all.

She probably wouldn't grow her hair to waistlength.

I also remember her joking about how it took her 50 years to grow her ponytail so maybe length retention wasn't always that easy for her even with Andre...

Why negative mail? If she want's to be proud of her length what is the problem :ohwell: ? The only black jounalist type I see with long hair is the lady on the weather channel. She's pushing bra strap and it doesn't seem overwhelming at all.
I think the negative mail was about the ponytail, people felt like her hair wasn't done.

Then she explained it, saying all she ever wanted was a ponytail so she was happy about it or whatever.

To be honest, Oprah's hair never wowed me in the first place, and after reading Andre's book, he doesn't know his @$$ from his elbow about hair. Just my opinion.

I saw that episode about 2 seasons ago I believe. She was shaking it and all.

Oprah has hair. But just like most celebs, she chooses to wear weaves and wigs to cut out the damage daily styling does.

I agree, I think really long hair wouldn't accentuate her face much unless she wore it in curly styles or updos.

......and she is 50+. i noticed that once a woman hits a certain age they can care less about long hair.

Back