Revlon Relaxer

5thLMNT

Does anyone use Revlon as their relaxer? i've followed a lot of advice about hair stuff on this board but i've never taken into consideration my relaxer and maybe if i change my hair might benefit
BTW I use revlon no lye

No lye is a lie.
What is the texture of your natural hair? This is from the old board. I wish I knew who posted this--I feel like a thief!

Calcium hydroxide (the straightening ingredient in no-lye relaxers) has a pH that is as high as or higher than sodium hydroxide (lye) relaxers. But they don’t straighten and smooth the hair as well as lye. This may not be a problem if you have a loose curl pattern. But kinkier hair strands will be dried up from the inside to the outside. Anyone with a natural curl pattern that is tighter than Gloria Reuben's should stay away from ammonium, calcium hydroxide and thioglocylate (sp?) based hair straighteners. Maybe not immediately, but eventually your hair will end up under-processed, dry, dull and hard. Then it will start to break.

Most of the ladies here use Motions, Dudley's, Affirm and Mizani.

Thanks, i grew up on no-lye with the whole thing about it being less harsh on your hair, My hair type is 4A. I'll do my research on the ones your suggesting

5th,
I've used Revlon Lye relaxer before and had good results. I use Affirm now and am satisfied, but would definitely use Revlon again.

Lye relaxers work better for my hair but Adrienne has some beautiful hair and I think she has been using a No Lye for a while. I am a real believer in the "whatever works for you" school of thought. Good luck!

Pallas

I like Revlon (with lye) also. You have to read the ingredients to be sure you have thr right one. My cousin uses this one and her hair is beautiful and thick. If I relax again, I'm gonna use this. I used it years ago and had no problems. It was when I switched to no-lye that I started having problems(I thought it was safer....wrong!)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
5thLMNT said:
Does anyone use Revlon as their relaxer? i've followed a lot of advice about hair stuff on this board but i've never taken into consideration my relaxer and maybe if i change my hair might benefit
BTW I use revlon no lye

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using Revlon Relaxer (Lye) for years.

Come to think of it, the Revlon Lye is what my mother relaxed my hair with for years since the age of 13. In high school, I used to color my hair honey blonde all the time and never did deep conditionings and my hair was still OK. I really didn't notice any damage to my hair until I started using no-lye relaxers, which were touted to be better for the hair.
Go figure /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

For those of you who use the Revlon (LYE) relaxer kits, which one do you use (<font color="red">white box/red writing </font> or dark grey box)?

I started out using the white box years ago, but recently switched to the grey box because it seems easier to find.

i dont think i have ever seen a revlon relaxer or know what it looks like. even though i have heard about it for a while on this site. i never knew there were a lot of lye relaxers being sold in stores. i thought it was motions and thats it and the others like affirm and mizani you have to find at salons. God bless you all.

When I used to relax, I used the Revlon in the red and white box. I guess since that was the only perm my mother used, I used it for a while before I tried to see what's out there. Just before I cut my relaxer I was back to the Revlon, and Creme of Nature.

The Revlon Lye that I've found is Regular and comes in a white tub with black writing. I believe it's says Revlon Realistic No-Base. I don't like that it doesn't list the ingredients but it does list that it has lye. I didn't get the large tub because I wanted to make sure I like it.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sassygirl125 said:
No lye is a lie.
What is the texture of your natural hair? This is from the old board. I wish I knew who posted this--I feel like a thief!

Calcium hydroxide (the straightening ingredient in no-lye relaxers) has a pH that is as high as or higher than sodium hydroxide (lye) relaxers. But they don’t straighten and smooth the hair as well as lye. This may not be a problem if you have a loose curl pattern. But kinkier hair strands will be dried up from the inside to the outside. Anyone with a natural curl pattern that is tighter than Gloria Reuben's should stay away from ammonium, calcium hydroxide and thioglocylate (sp?) based hair straighteners. Maybe not immediately, but eventually your hair will end up under-processed, dry, dull and hard. Then it will start to break.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/mad.gif i wish i'd known this b4 usin no lyes cause my hair wud never get as straight as i wanted it to wit my designers touch no lye /images/graemlins/mad.gif that really does explain it, same reason i cudnt air-dry my hair without it goin frizzy and curly all over /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Back