Relaxing in sections

rainbowknots

This weekend I attempted to self relax for the first time and ended up with a lot of underprocessed areas. I've decided that I want to relax in sections instead to avoid that next time. I'm going to relax 1 half first, neutralize etc...then go to the next side. I'm curious about one thing though, if you get the roots of your hair (along the part) wet, will the relaxer still take. I know it'll be pretty simple to keep the overall hair dry, but the roots along the part are bound to get a little wet. Is that a problem for you ladies who relax in sections?

I relax in sections and yes, the roots on the unrelaxed section do get wet.

I do relax the hair damp (not wet) with no problems. I was a little nervous the first time that I did this though.

hth

I use to relax in sections when I was self relaxing. I would relax the back rinse and then relax the top. the top section didn't really get wet (only the back of the top section would get damp), this was the only way that I could self relax.

The last time i self relaxed in sections i did the front to sections first and rinsed and i got the back section a little wet. I left the shampoo in the front two parts of my hair and then went on to relax the back section and it started burning after like 5 mins, i had to rinse it out 10 minutes early cos i couldn't take no more.
I think the warm water or even the steam opened up my scalp's pores so it burned more. Cos the front section didn't burn untill it was almost time to rinse out.

Currently I relax in sections, the "Kami" way. When I rinse the left side, I am careful not to get the right side wet, or the middle part, but sometimes that is unavoidable. Once I am done with one side, I reach for washcloths and/or papertowels to dry the affected area. I WILL NOT continue until I know for sure this area is dry. Then I go ahead and apply a bit more of my base to the center part again. When I do it this way, I never get burned, and I am able to process the unfinished side as long as the finished side was processed, too. This way I don't have any underprocessed areas.

Right before I rinse out the relaxer in one section, I put relaxer on the outside (ONLY) of the neighboring section. That way if it gets wet, no problem. I love relaxing in sections. I'm really slow so it gives me time to go over a section twice. I'm so slow that I relax in 3's and sometimes 4's.

I'm pretty sure that I can rinse without getting the other side totally wet but I will def do the towel/paper-towel method to dry it before relaxing the other half...

And Shunemite, that's an awesome idea... I'll probably do this as well.

I'm not relaxing for another 6 weeks so I have time to figure out exactly what I'm going to do so I'm not walking blindly into the process.

just wanted to say this is a good thread, I never knew it was possible to relax this way for the reasons melissa-bee stated, for me to cover my whole head in time without burning my scalp, I twist my hair in about 16 sections and then apply the relaxer very quickly around the twists, I undo the twists to apply the relaxer in between and can do this in around 5-10 mins then I can start smoothing neutralize. I also add 2tbs of EVOO and 1tbs of castor oil to the relaxer as an insurance policy.

I use this method as it's the safest way for me to protect the already relaxed hair as I'm stretching for longer now. If I relaxed in 2 or 4 sections with that amount of NG, I would not get full coverage with the relaxer and would definately get some serious overlapping.

can anyone provide a visual showing someone self-relaxing in sections? I fired my stylist and will be self-relaxing this weekend after a 13-week stretch.

can anyone provide a visual showing someone self-relaxing in sections? I fired my stylist and will be self-relaxing this weekend after a 13-week stretch.

Kami11213 posted her video in one of my other threads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMjrIeJsbXM . I'm going to try her method the next time. I didn't do it this time because I was worried about the new growth getting wet and being underprocessed. Thanks everyone, I now have a few different methods I will consider for next time.

Back