RELAXER CONCOCTIONS-need advice!

Integrity

hello people, i must be one of the few still using no-lye(dark and lovely). I am thinking of adding some olive oil and perhaps honey to counteract the drying effects of the no lye. has anyone ever added stuff into the relaxer. did it have any good, bad effects. what did u add?(with where i live at the moment i dont have access to lye relaxers). any responses appreciated! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've also been looking at relaxers. I found all no-lye intil I looked real close to the Revlon Realistic. They don't say if they are no-lye or not. I looked at the ingredients and it does say it contains lye. I'm gonna be purchasing this one...since my first one will be on virgin hair. My touchups I plan on getting help. Anyways...among all those no-lye(and I was getting frustrated) I found this...at Rite-aid.

Generally Lye relaxers do not come in a nice packed kit. It will come in a container and you generally have to purchase all other additional products such as the neutralizing shampoo, reconstructor and/or rinse.

Personally I wouldn't add the honey, but a lot of people have had success with adding the Olive Oil another good alternative is purchasing the Aphogee Essential Fatty Acids Oil Concentrate: <font color="red"> The purest of grain oil extracts, E.F.A. contains all of nature's essential fatty acids. It is an unsurpassed facial oil, to cleanse, remove makeup and apply to dry skin areas. Also, this E.F.A. Oil Concentrate may be incorporated into perms, relaxers and color treatments to achieve better results with hair that is left healthy and luxurious. </font color>

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pandora, there are several ladies on this board that use no-lye relaxers and have beautiful hair. I think Tracy does, check her bio and she which products she uses - if listed. The EFA and Olive oils are a good idea too.

The only thing I would warn you about when adding olive oil to your relaxer is underprocessing. The proteins in the oil help to break the relaxer down so it is less harsh, but it also makes the relaxer weaker so you may need to spend more time smoothing or even leave it in a little longer than you normally would.

The good thing that I discovered about the olive oil is that you aren't under the same time constraint to get complete coverage before its time to rinse (if you are doing this yourself at home, you know what I am talking about). Also, even though I was under processed, my hair was extremely soft from the olive oil and after the deep conditioner it did anything I wanted, so I was able to get it almost completely straight through my wet set.

Back