Relaxed ladies who co-wash often...

DangerouslyShy

I have a question regarding frequent co-washes....

Is the idea of co-washing to help manage the new growth? or for other purposes?

Im asking this because I know when i get around 8 weeks, my new growth is really unmanageable...I am 7 weeks now, and of course MTG is not helping this....its adding more newgrowth, i feel like I am around 10-12 weeks post (especially in the crown area)

I know when I wash my hair I have to use heat, what other ways could i get around this? Airdrying sometimes can be worse than using heat in a sense (depending how I do it), because my hair gets very dry and tangles....What do you do with your hair after you cowash? braid it up, wear wigs? ponytails? help a sister out here...

What would you suggest that I do?

Hi DS :wave: First let me say that you are one of my hair inspirations -- your album and progress convinced me to join this board! ;)

But to answer your question: I began conditioner washing at least every other day in early June when I first texturized and it HAS been heaven, the ladies never lie! But I think with conditioner washes you have to either,

1. Be content with wearing your hair up somehow, at least until it dries and probably longer (unless your texture can, say, dry straight if you bun it...)

or

2. Be content with your airdried texture, give or take a few leave-in products.

That's what I do -- I co-wash it, usually with Pantene intensive, Pantene hydrating curls, or with this citrus shine enhancing conditioner (not as moisturizing, which is good for me since I co-wash so frequently and the others are uber-moisturizing). Then I allow it to air dry with only a leave in (Aveda elixir or Garnier long and strong leave in, which makes my hair super elastic); I don't even towel dry it, I just squeeze the water out of it while I am in the shower, then put a towel around my shoulders for a little while. My hair dries curly because of the texturizer. Other times, I put in my leave in and then use only my fingers to put it up to dry; on these days, I wrap the cloth elastic around twice so that the sides dry straight and the ponytail dries curly, and once it dries I wrap the elastic around only once for a slightly loose curly pony that doesn't stress my edges (sometimes a few curls pop out in the back, and I leave them be). :)

So, my advice to you would be to work on ultimately tweaking your relaxers until you can get an airdried texture that you like (this can be hard to really see from just your new growth, which is why I went natural, got two years of growth, and just started over to texturize and see what I was getting). In the meanwhile, though, maybe you could find a french braid type style that looked cute in itself, and then once your hair is dry about half-way through the day you could just loosen the braids and run a moisturizing oil through your hair for a wavy style.

Good Luck, I hope I've helped! :D

I do conditioner washes for more moisture and to control my new growth. Since I'm transitioning it helps in dealing with the two textures, less breakage. After the wash, I oil my hair and scalp with Wild Growth Oil, then put it in a bun and let it air dry. My hair comes out smooth and soft. Works for me everytime!:)

I poo once a week so anytime I feel the need to cleanse more than that I CW. I have found it to be a great way to manage my new growth.

Right after a touch up till about 7 weeks post I'll rollerset. Anytime after that I either braid or do my own version of the scarf method. It takes too long to airdry completely, so I'll sit under the dryer for 10-15 minutes first. My hair is still damp the next day, but not overwhelmingly. Afterwards I bun or pony.

I co-wash my hair because it makes me feel good. It's actually a relaxing process. After I co-wash my hair, I put my hair in a ponytail with the ends tucked under. I really don't care for wearing my hair down anymore because it's hot and people like to put their hands in my hair. I also have a phony pony that I don't wear anymore. I might pop it back out soon.

I am at week 19 now trying to stretch to 23...initially I was only trying to stretch to 14, but then I found out I am expecting so I have to wait at least two more weeks until after my first trimester is over (depending also on what my doctor says). I also have about 2 1/2 inches of coily new growth. The only way I can cope with it by using what I call The Soaking Wet Bun Method. The foundation is Wild Growth Oil which I have found fantastic for calming down my new growth. Here's my technique:

1. Conditioner Wash/Rinse daily

2. Squeeze out excess water - blot dry slightly - leave hair quite wet

3. Add Olive Oil/Wild Growth oil mixture to new growth, olive oil to length

4. Add Fantasia IC Leave in and/or Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme for slip

5. Comb through with wide tooth comb

6. Comb through with medium-fine tooth comb

7. Comb through with ultra fine tooth comb in direction I want to place my bun, until smooth.

8. Place hair in ponytail with holder soaked in olive oil

9. Gently blot excess moisture from top of head and ponytail

10. Secure bun with bun cover/decoration

11. Put a little bit of gel on edges, brush with soft brush if necessary

12. Most important step! Tie down tight with satin scarf for as long as possible (at least one hour) (I wear the scarf in the car on the way to work).

After all of this (which only takes about 10 minutes), I have nice shiny waves and a smooth hairline that stays all day. I have lost very little hair to shedding even with all the combing. This method will obviously only work in the warmer weather.

If I don't do all of this, my hairline sticks up like Buckwheat. :D

Stormy said:
I do conditioner washes for more moisture and to control my new growth. Since I'm transitioning it helps in dealing with the two textures, less breakage. After the wash, I oil my hair and scalp with Wild Growth Oil, then put it in a bun and let it air dry. My hair comes out smooth and soft. Works for me everytime!:)

This works for me too (i put one mesh roller on the end of the ponytail). WGO really softens my hair. I also use Giovanni Direct leave-in also works well to soften.....

PatTodd said:
I am at week 19 now trying to stretch to 23...initially I was only trying to stretch to 14, but then I found out I am expecting so I have to wait at least two more weeks until after my first trimester is over (depending also on what my doctor says). I also have about 2 1/2 inches of coily new growth. The only way I can cope with it by using what I call The Soaking Wet Bun Method. The foundation is Wild Growth Oil which I have found fantastic for calming down my new growth. Here's my technique:

1. Conditioner Wash/Rinse daily

2. Squeeze out excess water - blot dry slightly - leave hair quite wet

3. Add Olive Oil/Wild Growth oil mixture to new growth, olive oil to length

4. Add Fantasia IC Leave in and/or Hollywood Beauty Carrot Creme for slip

5. Comb through with wide tooth comb

6. Comb through with medium-fine tooth comb

7. Comb through with ultra fine tooth comb in direction I want to place my bun, until smooth.

8. Place hair in ponytail with holder soaked in olive oil

9. Gently blot excess moisture from top of head and ponytail

10. Secure bun with bun cover/decoration

11. Put a little bit of gel on edges, brush with soft brush if necessary

12. Most important step! Tie down tight with satin scarf for as long as possible (at least one hour) (I wear the scarf in the car on the way to work).

After all of this (which only takes about 10 minutes), I have nice shiny waves and a smooth hairline that stays all day. I have lost very little hair to shedding even with all the combing. This method will obviously only work in the warmer weather.

If I don't do all of this, my hairline sticks up like Buckwheat. :D

Steps 5-7 are the most important IMO. I feel that combing carefully and thoroughly is what has made me be able to stretch my relaxer for 18 months. Before, I was combing my hair with a wide toothed or spaced comb and when I went to comb it again I would have these big tangled knots in my hair where the new growth and relaxed hair met. I found that the other combs were not sufficient when dealing with new growth and that is how I have been able to successfully stretch this long with no setbacks (well there was one 2" setback this past Saturday but it was my fault :ohwell:). Actually, I didn't plan to stretch this long but because of washing/conditioning/combing my hair everyday i've just become used to it. Also, I'm doing a semi-version of the crown 'n' glory method where I keep the crown out but everything underneath in box braids and I re-braid every other week.

Oh ... step 12 is very important as well.

I co wash alot esp when I'm in need of a relaxer...its the only time I can manipulate my hair. I made the mistake of not doing it yesterday and I'm sure I had some breakage from raking through it with the brush. My crown area is no joke....I swear that hair doesn't grow out or down but up..its a pain. Oh and I am a faithful bun wearer, haven't found a cute wig for my big head. Thinking about making one of those quick weaves with some curly hair though...maybe that would help me stretch longer than 10 weeks.

I discovered co-washing recently and I really like it. It just makes my hair feel and smell clean. I think it also contributed to growth b/c I seemed to get a bit more n/g.

I co-wash about 4-6 times per week with MNT conditioner, then I leave a little in my hair/scalp. I let it airdry either going straight back or with a side-part and put a scarf around the front and let the back hang down - which helps to flatten the top when n/g is outta control (sounds confusing but see picture):

http://public.fotki.com/SouthernGirlz/2004_hair_journey/the_hair/scarf.html

Then I just put a pony holder on it when 1/2 way dry and bun it or let it hang down.

For me, this is a pretty simple, yet practical way to do my hair. Also, if it's been in a bun for a while and I want to wear it down for a little bit, I can just take out the bun and just let it hang and my "bone straight" hair is wavy.

HTH,

SG

I've been co washing/rinsing daily all this month. I'm convinced this has boosted my growth rate. I air dry in a bun or ponytail with a roller on the end. If I want to get fancy I braid my hair into 4 cornrows, let airdry, take out and wear a "messy" updo.

simplycee said:
I've been co washing/rinsing daily all this month. I'm convinced this has boosted my growth rate. I air dry in a bun or ponytail with a roller on the end. If I want to get fancy I braid my hair into 4 cornrows, let airdry, take out and wear a "messy" updo.

Just checked your album girlie,

Your hair looks AMAZING :up: You've gotten a lotta length since I last saw it. Also, love the flexi set. Wish I could do that :(

SG

DangerouslyShy said:
I have a question regarding frequent co-washes....

....What do you do with your hair after you cowash? braid it up, wear wigs? ponytails? help a sister out here...

What would you suggest that I do?

Hi DS. I have washed my hair everyday this summer and, sometimes, I've wet it more than once a day. I just comb through my salerm 21 and wear it in a ponytail or bun. I have worn buns and ponytails all summer long. My hair is getting longer and longer and I baby my ends with little treats like black castor oil, jojoba/amla mix, and now, my Lenzi's Request. I switch up on conditioners and deep conditioners but always do a bun or ponytail. My ends are hanging in like a CHAMP and I have no breakage in the back. I only blowdry and flat iron for special occassions.

Thanks for your replies ladies!!

I noticed that my crown and sides are soooooo fragile, thats the 4a part of my hair, it will break in an instant, BBD Stretch has been helping with that. The back is really strong, thats more of a 3C texture.

I guess when my hair is wet i just have to be really careful with my crown and my sides...

Okay D-Shy,

I usually CO wash everyother day or every 3 days depending on my mood or my hair. Here is what I do when I CO wash my hair.

~When in the shower I massage the conditioner(moisturizing) into my hair
all over. I'll let it sit and then I continue to finish the rest of my showerly
duties. At the end I use my shower comb that I got from tenderheaded.com and detangle and rinse downward under the showerhead.com until all of the CO is rinsed out and all of my hair isin the same downward position.

~I cautiously use a towel to blot away dripping water from my head. Immediately on damp hair I put in about 2 nikel sized amounts of Olive Oil all over my hair. (My hair is still in that same detangled downward position). I let my hair airdry for about another 15 min and I then I add all of the leave-ins to my hair ( NTM silk touch, ORS Olive Oil, Loreal Vive smooth intense leave-in, and NTM serum on the ends).

~I then go through and comb sections and put my hair in magnetic rollers for airdrying . This helps to eliminate tangles and unwanted poufiness. I end up with full, volumous, soft, and moisturized hair. (Even the New Growth is unbelievably soft)

I hope this Helps!:D

how often are you going to co wash???? I would love to join you wecan be buddies?? BTW how is your hair doing??? Do you have a sew in now?

thank you vikki and everyone else...im going to try the olive oil along with my leave ins as well...

sure sweatpea we can do this, im thinking everyother day. at least until summer is over, im trying to get to 16 weeks post,...nope no sew in my hair is doing welljust dont know what to do with it...lmao...

DangerouslyShy said:
thank you vikki and everyone else...im going to try the olive oil along with my leave ins as well...

sure sweatpea we can do this, im thinking everyother day. at least until summer is over, im trying to get to 16 weeks post,...nope no sew in my hair is doing welljust dont know what to do with it...lmao...

I feel ya I am at week 3 and it is thick already!!!! SO I will co-wash tomorrow morning!!!

DangerouslyShy said:
kooo sounds good!!
Koooo what!! Just finished co-wash letting it airdry like serenitybreeze then I will rollit on my caruso just like her!!!! Experimenting oh yeah I think I will have to sit under the dryer for a minute have somewhere to go at 1pm!!

DangerouslyShy said:
Thanks for your replies ladies!!

I noticed that my crown and sides are soooooo fragile, thats the 4a part of my hair, it will break in an instant, BBD Stretch has been helping with that. The back is really strong, thats more of a 3C texture.

I guess when my hair is wet i just have to be really careful with my crown and my sides...

My hair is the same way...the crown is so sad....thats why my hair looks flat from the side...the crown is all broke off :-(

I co wash everyday! I add my leave in and put my hair in a wet bun. It is very quick and easy and helps with the summer heat!

HTH

Softresses

DangerouslyShy said:
thank you vikki and everyone else...i... m going to try the olive oil along with my leave ins as well...

sure sweatpea we can do this, i... m thinking everyother day. at least until summer is over, im trying to get to 16 weeks post,...nope no sew in my hair is doing welljust dont know what to do with it...lmao...

No problem girlie! I am glad that I could help. Olive Oil has helped alot from making sure that my hair stays smooth with little breakage. My crown area too is really fragile and is prone to breakage. The rest of my hair grows normally.

vikkisecret said:
No problem girlie! I am glad that I could help. Olive Oil has helped alot from making sure that my hair stays smooth with little breakage. My crown area too is really fragile and is prone to breakage. The rest of my hair grows normally.
Isnt that so frustrating...i hate it:(

Back