Relaxed ladies that air dry-Question

Brooklyn72

How do you keep your hair straight when you air dry? I get the whole idea with tying a scarf putting it in a bun etc..
But...when I air dry mine, by the end it looks like I did a braid out!!!:wallbash:
I use a leave in and moisture/seal the whole nine yards!
What am I doing wrong??

So your saying when you air dry your hair crinkles up?
If I dont wanna get the dent from the bun, I just put on scarf around hairline and let hair hang....

So your saying when you air dry your hair crinkles up?

Yes kinda... If I put a scarf on it then it will be wavy once it is dry. Which for me defeats the purpose of air-drying. even tho my hair is SL, I have a lot of it, so maybe air drying isn't for me.

I kid you not, I was just talking about this the other day. I see you ave type 3 hair. It seems like it's harder for some type 3s (Me) to airdry straight. But I see all the beauitful head of type 4 hair with this beautiful air dried straight hair. Mine just wont do it. :(

*Beautiful hair*

My hair does that at the ends, im naturally curly and I think it does that cause it underprocced. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I kid you not, I was just talking about this the other day. I see you ave type 3 hair. It seems like it's harder for some type 3s (Me) to airdry straight. But I see all the beauitful head of type 4 hair with this beautiful air dried straight hair. Mine just wont do it. :(

*Beautiful hair*
Yea I think ur correct. I am 3 something and it just doesnt work well.

*Beautiful hair*

THANKS! I'm going to have to give up on the air drying thing as It makes me crazy! :spinning:

I can't airdry straight unless I put straighten cream on it and that's when I want to flat iron. Other than that I just deal with it. I am thinking of airdrying with a few big rollers.

I can't airdry straight unless I put straighten cream on it and that's when I want to flat iron. Other than that I just deal with it. I am thinking of airdrying with a few big rollers.

See that's the other issue. I don't want to use heat, so my theory was to use the caruso steam curlers once my hair was dry, but I can't if it is wavy. UGH!

THANKS! I'm going to have to give up on the air drying thing as It makes me crazy! :spinning:
I still airdry but I end up with the waves you were speaking off.:wallbash: I don't like to use heat but I can't get straight hair really without it. I will rollerset more this winter for the straight look.

I discovered that air drying isnt for me :nono: I think its more for naturals than it is for relaxed heads :ohwell:

I'm confused then... I have seen a lot of ladies here who do air dry and are relaxed. Who knows at this point. All I know is like you it isn't for me either.:sad:

I still airdry but I end up with the waves you were speaking off.:wallbash: I don't like to use heat but I can't get straight hair really without it. I will rollerset more this winter for the straight look.

I guess I will stick to my rollersetting as well. I just hate the 4 hour process every weekend! :crying3::crying3:

Are you kidding? I would air dry all the time if my hair got wavy on its own! I just get a bunch of frizz and it looks a hot mess if I don't do a braidout. Consider yourself lucky!

I'm confused then... I have seen a lot of ladies here who do air dry and are relaxed. Who knows at this point. All I know is like you it isn't for me either.:sad:
Its the combing that kills me. You cant comb air dried hair:nono: It will break while your combing it:sad:

Are you kidding? I would air dry all the time if my hair got wavy on its own! I just get a bunch of frizz and it looks a hot mess if I don't do a braidout. Consider yourself lucky!

:yep::yep::yep:I agree!

If you want to use Carusos, how about airdrying in two big braids and then use them...

I'm relaxed and I air dry. My hair is alot softer and shinier when I air dry. But I have to use heat afterwards because of the way my hair is cut. I curl my hair after I air dry and don't use heat again until the next wash. I use to blow dry my hair every wash and used heat everyday. Air drying is my friend.

I LET MY HAIR airdry all the time. I am relaxed. I end up with big waves after I tie it down. I let my hair airdry in a single braid, then I bun it. What's wrong with waves :) The waves, or mine, are medium sized, and soft....I think I'm a 3c hair type too. If I was to make a bun right now, less than one week post, I would have waves. If I wait till week 10, 11, 12, even huger waves, and small crinkly waves up the front. Tie it down with a scarf till your ears lose circulation LOL. I've gotten lots of compliments on my buns, and I"m sure you will too!

I am relaxed and i air dry often . I air dry my hair in a wrap and it comes out sleek & smooth. The same wrap that done a the salons but i just dont get under the dryer. I use elasta OP foam and Optimum shine booster. You can use any foam and serum type product. I wrap my hair around my head, tie it with a scarf and let it dry over night. My hair is short now but I did this when my hair was btwn SL and APL too.

When my ng gets to be too much , I start to airdry in a low ponytail.

I've been airdrying my relaxed hair for the past 2yrs and I love it. After I co-wash I use a little of my cond. as a leave-in and I apply moisturizer (this is on wet hair). Then I comb through with my shower comb and either put in 2 braids or 2 loose ponytails with a magnetic roller on the ends. After my hair is about 50% dry I smooth coconut oil over it. That night I tie my scarf on loose and my hair dries smooth. Airdrying keeps my hair full of body and swing, I love it.

Yes I guess u r right, but we always want what we don't have. I love my waves but not always.

:wink2:Thanks ladies for your input! I am going to try air drying in braids over night and see how that turns out. If it's a no go for me then back to the dreadful:wallbash: rollersetting until my hair gets to APL.

I am relaxed with almost waist length 4a/b hair. I airdry all the time with straight hair for the past 4 years. Here is what I do:

1. After you have put in all of your leave-in products, I take sections of my hair and comb the sections with a very wide tooth comb.

2. After using the wide tooth comb, I move down to a medium spaced tooth comb. Comb each section with the medium comb.

3. After using the medium spaced comb, I move down to a smaller/finer tooth comb. Usually a rat tail or barber comb would do the trick. Don't go too fine though.

4. Take your time as you smooth out each section. If you come across some impact (tangled hair) when using either comb, go back up to the larger comb to tackle the tangle. Then come back to the finer tooth comb.

What you are creating is a smooth wet set with this method. I usually comb my hair straight back, throw in about 4 large purple rollers. I roll up most of the hanging hair right above my shoulders. This way, the wet hair is not rubbing against my clothes. Use those duck clips on each end of the roller to secure it. Put a scarf on to mold the top & crown area. The rollers hang out the back.

Depending on the thickness and length of your hair, it may help to put a small scrunchie on each section to hold the hair in place as you use the roller. I do this as well because I'm rolling up so much hair on the roller and the hair tends to fall off of the roller. Don't double tie the scrunchie though as it will cause a dent.

When it airdries, the hair will (at least it should) look like a roller set. A big beautiful curl for each section. But only the bottom hair will be curled not the top because the scarf has molded the top/crown area flat.

HTH,
Simplyhair
(back from a long hibernation...hi everyone!)

My hair airdries straight, but it's probably because I relax it straight, when I use to just relax so that it was still a little texture my hair never airdried straight. But you should still be able to use the caruso's even if it airdries wavy. Also, try something that is suppose to help keep it straight, John Frieda makes something called Frizz Ease Straight Answer.

Or try airdrying in 2 or 3 twist, it gives more of a wave (loose).
:wink2:Thanks ladies for your input! I am going to try air drying in braids over night and see how that turns out. If it's a no go for me then back to the dreadful:wallbash: rollersetting until my hair gets to APL.

my hair is a mess when air dryed...i still do it anyways but my roots are so puffy and it has just never worked for me...but i am gonna see what happens after i get a corrective relaxer...maybe it will work out better for me then.

to be honest up until recently i co washed and airdried all the time and i got tired of it i like rollersetting my hair and sitting under my hooded dryer my hair is much easier to comb and most of all soft bouncy hair but i will probably start co washin once a week and letting my hair air dry rather than everyday like i was before

I am relaxed with almost waist length 4a/b hair. I airdry all the time with straight hair for the past 4 years. Here is what I do:

1. After you have put in all of your leave-in products, I take sections of my hair and comb the sections with a very wide tooth comb.

2. After using the wide tooth comb, I move down to a medium spaced tooth comb. Comb each section with the medium comb.

3. After using the medium spaced comb, I move down to a smaller/finer tooth comb. Usually a rat tail or barber comb would do the trick. Don't go too fine though.

4. Take your time as you smooth out each section. If you come across some impact (tangled hair) when using either comb, go back up to the larger comb to tackle the tangle. Then come back to the finer tooth comb.

What you are creating is a smooth wet set with this method. I usually comb my hair straight back, throw in about 4 large purple rollers. I roll up most of the hanging hair right above my shoulders. This way, the wet hair is not rubbing against my clothes. Use those duck clips on each end of the roller to secure it. Put a scarf on to mold the top & crown area. The rollers hang out the back.

Depending on the thickness and length of your hair, it may help to put a small scrunchie on each section to hold the hair in place as you use the roller. I do this as well because I'm rolling up so much hair on the roller and the hair tends to fall off of the roller. Don't double tie the scrunchie though as it will cause a dent.

When it airdries, the hair will (at least it should) look like a roller set. A big beautiful curl for each section. But only the bottom hair will be curled not the top because the scarf has molded the top/crown area flat.

HTH,
Simplyhair
(back from a long hibernation...hi everyone!)

Thanks!! great info!

Back