Random Qs about Weaves

05girl

I am 85% sure I am weaving it up next month (full head weave). I am 7 months into my transition and not retaining very well... This will be my first weave and I am nervous!

I need to start working out. How do I maintain clean hair with weave?
How do I decide if I should get straight vs wet&wavy hair?
Should I still continue my biweekly salon visits?
How often does one wash and condition with weave? Any thing I should look out for when washing myself?

Thanks!

Hi 05girl! Im getting my first weave next month too! I as well have opted to get a full head with no hair left out. I do not want to have to take care of a leave out. Do you know what kind of hair you are going to get?

Mann no clue. Definitely human hair. But I've gotten no solid guidance on exactly what to get and where to get it. I'm a bit afraid to order online b/c what if it doesn't match? I think I will check out a few BSS stores this weekend to get a sense.
I am transitioning so definitely concerned on whether to get something curly vs relaxer look.

I want human hair too. I am currently looking at Halley's Curls. It is the cheapest one I have found that also has gotten good reviews. They say it sheds but honestly it cant shed anymore than my real hair does.

Mann no clue. Definitely human hair. But I've gotten no solid guidance on exactly what to get and where to get it. I'm a bit afraid to order online b/c what if it doesn't match? I think I will check out a few BSS stores this weekend to get a sense.
I am transitioning so definitely concerned on whether to get something curly vs relaxer look.

Please promise me that you guys will use a professional to do your weaves. I just went back to work and some of these weaves I see in Chicago looks like chit.:ohwell:

SuchaLady, I have ordered there(halleys) 3 times. I purchased the relaxed texture, gentle wave and 2 closures and all of them started to shed, the closures balded even when I sealed as directed. I always thought that maybe I just got a bad bunch, but To get a bad bunch for each hair purchase is unrealistic. If you can go with extension plus.

rere32 Thanks for that warning! I will look again into EP its just so darn expensive :ohwell: I am new to this what is a closure used for? I wanted a full head sew in with a net cap.

@SuchaLady, I have ordered there(halleys) 3 times. I purchased the relaxed texture, gentle wave and 2 closures and all of them started to shed, the closures balded even when I sealed as directed. I always thought that maybe I just got a bad bunch, but To get a bad bunch for each hair purchase is unrealistic. If you can go with extension plus.

The closure is used if you want to hide all of your hair(no blending needed). In my opinion it looks a lot better then having that little circle sitting on top of your head when a full head weave is done. EP has closure and they are expensive, if Halleys didn't shed so much I would tell you to go with them ,but its a waste of money.

DEFINITELY getting professionally done.. and I'm still nervous about it! I've never been a big fan of weaves.. I want my hair to be the BOMB.COM! lol

The closure thing may look better, but I'm afraid of putting tension on my edges.. my edges are pretty sensitive.

@Readyone.. what is the going price for EPRT? Am I reading some of these prices right.. $250 for 2oz?! http://www.extensions-plus.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

05girl

Yes, its about that much depending on the length. You only need about 4oz(or 2 packs of hair) because the hair is thick. It is an investment because you can reuse this hair for a longggg time. Some people have had the same stash for up to 4 years even. So you can pretty much figure out the math. I didn't pay that much because I caught sales and I typically go for shorter lengths(10-12inches).

I rarely had to flat iron my own hair, only when I wanted a sleek look. Just blow dry my leave out and bun or wear down.

I had Indique Hair and it blended so well! I want to try it again, but Im in Houston and unable to select the color. The best hair type is Indian, Virgin Remi. If you cant afford virgin THEN DEFINITELY get remi. Remi hair doesn't tangle as all the cuticles are going in the same direction. Virgin hair has not been altered for Color or texture. IDK if your natural or not but to me Indian hair blends the best with African American Texture. There is also Malaysian, and Brazilian, but IDK about that.

@Readyone how does one catch sales? Where should I look for sales?

05girl

They usually come like once a month. I would look on their website the first or 2nd day of the month. BUT, sometimes its the relaxed texture that is on sale, most of the time its not. So months can go by before you will see relaxed texture in your desired length on sale.

SuchaLady on BlackHairMedia Forums, many state that Senghori Shells is a good alternative to EP. I am leaning toward the Senghori Shells Relaxed Straight based on all of the BHM reviews.

Back