Question on moisturizing and sealing

Fine 4s

Let's say I moisturize and seal on day 1. On day 2 does it make sense to moisturize again? If the oil from day one is still on my hair strands then how is the moisture penetrating. When do these products evaporate out of the hair if at all? Or is moisturizing and sealing a one time thing?

Thank you!

I think it depends on your hair's needs. For me, sometimes yes I DO need to moisturize again. Just simply because my hair feels dry. Maybe I am working it out after henna or a protein treatment or whatever.

There are other times when I DON'T need to. I notice that during the weeks after a moisturizing deep condition or just me over moisturizing one day (I am heavy handed with it sometimes) I don't need to do it everyday.

I think it is best to do it or not based on what your hair needs on that particular day.

I think it depends on your hair's needs. For me, sometimes yes I DO need to moisturize again. Just simply because my hair feels dry. Maybe I am working it out after henna or a protein treatment or whatever.

There are other times when I DON'T need to. I notice that during the weeks after a moisturizing deep condition or just me over moisturizing one day (I am heavy handed with it sometimes) I don't need to do it everyday.

I think it is best to do it or not based on what your hair needs on that particular day.

Let me see if I can make it clear...
The question is more about whether moisturizing again on day 2 (assuming I DO need to moisturize) will be useful since there is oil on the hair from day 1. From what I understand oil is to SEAL locking other stuff OUT and keeping the moisture already on locked in, correct? If my thinking is correct, how is that second coat of moisture on day 2 going to penetrate? Can one moisturize again AFTER sealing? Did I phrase this better?

I think the oil isn't a permanent

barrier. I think that like the moisturizer, it needs to be reapplied. It can be used to lock in moisture but won't lock forever :grin:

Oil is permeable so it evaporates. . In a seal, it allows the moisture to not evaporate as quickly - but based on the amount of damage or dryness to your hair- it may need to be done everyday. What you may be thinking is about cone's they maintain moisture for a longer period of time because they form a longer lasting coating on the strand. Not allowing moisture in or out.

Oil is permeable so it evaporates. . In a seal, it allows the moisture to not evaporate as quickly - but based on the amount of damage or dryness to your hair- it may need to be done everyday. What you may be thinking is about cone's they maintain moisture for a longer period of time because they form a longer lasting coating on the strand. Not allowing moisture in or out.

ITA. The exent of how long the oil lasts depends on the type of oil and your hair. With cones.....cones can still wear off. Heat and manipulation chip at cone barriers.

This is really good info because I thought I was overdoing it by moisturizing everyday...

Honestly, if your hair is to the point where you absolutely have to moisturize and seal everyday, you may want to look at your deep conditioner and leave-in and have a "come-to-Jeebus" meeting :look:

Either that or check your porosity. :yawn:

Honestly, if your hair is to the point where you absolutely have to moisturize and seal everyday, you may want to look at your deep conditioner and leave-in and have a "come-to-Jeebus" meeting :look:

:lachen::lachen::lachen: Stop it, my side hurts already

I think the oil isn't a permanent

barrier. I think that like the moisturizer, it needs to be reapplied. It can be used to lock in moisture but won't lock forever :grin:

Thanks a mil! I'm thinking once I lock that moisture in I can't EVER re-apply no matter how many days has passed lol....what a smahty-pants!

No, I wasn't thinking about cones but NOW I am! I was thinking about any oil, coconut, jojoba, castor etc....What type of 'cones can one seal with?

No, I wasn't thinking about cones but NOW I am! I was thinking about any oil, coconut, jojoba, castor etc....What type of 'cones can one seal with?

I think it is best to seal with oil. Don't over use 'cones like that. At least some oils have moisturizing and lubricating properties to complement your moisturizer. 'Cones just tend to sit there.

Let me see if I can make it clear...
The question is more about whether moisturizing again on day 2 (assuming I DO need to moisturize) will be useful since there is oil on the hair from day 1. From what I understand oil is to SEAL locking other stuff OUT and keeping the moisture already on locked in, correct? If my thinking is correct, how is that second coat of moisture on day 2 going to penetrate? Can one moisturize again AFTER sealing? Did I phrase this better?

Sorry I misunderstood you. I agree with others, though.

People who use Lacio Lacio and Chi Silk Infusion are sealing with cones. Nothing wrong with cones- but it must be washed out eventually because it builds up quicker than oils. It wont evaporate like oils so you need a surfactant to get them off your strands.
Now this is not a bad thing- some people's hair respond well to cones and have established a routine including cones. Alot of very good deep conditioners have cones- so I don't want you to fear the cones. Just be mindful of build-up.

How does one check their porosity?

My hair sokes up water like a sponge and it drys super fast.

I am currently looking for moisture only. Nothing with Protine. I am on a protine overload.

It is soft while wet but kinda hard while dry.

Last edited:
How does one check their porosity?

My hair sokes up water like a sponge and it drys super fast.

I am currently looking for moisture only. Nothing with Protine. I am on a protine overload.

It is soft while wet but kinda hard while dry.

Yep, it sounds like you have a porosity issue. Check out member Sistaslicks articles, the links are in her siggy, she breaks it down nicely

Honestly, if your hair is to the point where you absolutely have to moisturize and seal everyday, you may want to look at your deep conditioner and leave-in

I agree, if you use a good deep moisturizing conditioner on your hair and a good leave in, I can't see why your hair would still be so dry :nono:. I know sometimes I will try a new conditioner and it will not agree with my hair at all and when my hair dries, it doesn't have a supple feel to it so that's how I know that certain conditioners agree with my hair and others don't. But in no way should oils and moisturizers make up for the dryness that could be fixed by tweaking the conditioner and leave in, possibly even the shampoo that you are using. HTH !

Back