Question for swimmers

• Thread starter Thread starter QT
  • Start date Start date

QT

Swimmers how do you protect your hair from the harsh chorine (other than washing hair after each time I swim) I’m about to start going to the indoor pool at least 3 times per week. I have used swimmers caps in the past however, water always seem to leak thru. Should I use some type of oil and my swim cap? Please chime in...... TIA.

swim caps aren't meant to keep water out, they're meant to keep your hair out of the way. but i think nylon (i'll check on this) caps keep water out really well. i also heard/have seen that you're supposed to wrap your hair with saran wrap and then put the cap on, but that's too much work. :lol:

some ladies i know put olive oil and let the heat from their heads condition while they swim. but if you do this, be sure to have a nice tight cap because a lady on here said she put conditioner in and it got into her eye and burrrrrned!

I would just suggest use shampoo after each time you swim to get the chlorine out and then follow with a DC.
That is what I do.
Aubry Organics has a swimmer shampoo, you might want to give it a try.

Here's their sales pitch "Sun, salt, chlorine and perspiration can take their toll on unprotected hair. Take cover from dryness and brittleness with this protective, pH-normalizing shampoo. Naturally removes chlorine, minerals and other impurities to neutralize odor, prevent discoloration and leave hair soft, rebalanced and revitalized. Ideal for gray or blond hair. Safe for color-treated hair."

HTH

Last edited:
I've been taking swimming lessons on a weekly basis. I usually wet my hair and apply some NTM leave in and then put my swim cap on. After I'm done, I always shampoo with Keracare 1st lather (clarifying) shampoo, a moisturizing shampoo and then I would DC. So far, so good! :)

Back