Question about updos without ponytail holders

blueabyss333

What do you use to updo your hair? I used to like using bobby pins for a neat or messy updo but it broke off my ends at my crown and now I can't use them as often. Now the back and nape of my hair is longer than the middle- it's like there's a gap in my hair. I liked bobby pins because they were discreet and the focus was on my hair, not the accessory. What do you use?

What do you use to updo your hair? I used to like using bobby pins for a neat or messy updo but it broke off my ends at my crown and now I can't use them as often. Now the back and nape of my hair is longer than the middle- it's like there's a gap in my hair. I liked bobby pins because they were discreet and the focus was on my hair, not the accessory. What do you use?[/quote]

"GOOD HAIR DAYS" pins from SALLYS.

"GOOD HAIR DAYS" pins from SALLYS.[/quote]

I also use these but they are made by Scunci, I got them from a BSS.

I have crazy breakage from bobby pins! My protective styling backfired big time. I recently started using regular U-shaped hairpins (they don't close "tight" like bobby pins) and they're excellent! I like them because I don't really like to wear hair accessories like barrettes and clips.

I love Good Hair Days pins (as some of the ladies mentioned) for all of my updos and in place of bobby pins. They are so gentle on hair and they hold very well.

One tip I learned from another board was to put them in hot water if the "tongs" start to separate too widely (this may happen after a while of using them regularly) and they will close back to its's original state. :)

I'll use any type of clamps that are big enough to actually hold itself in place, and I'll also use hair accessories like cute barrettes, if I can find them big enough to secure my hair.

I try to avoid the hair barettes or clips b/c I was told metal on hair is bad and the pressure of where the barattes, clips, or hair pins close causes stress on that part of the hair. The last good hairdresser i had made me bring in all my hair accessories so she could approve of them. Here is what I was left with;
-the plastic claw clip that is big enough for your hair volume but you have buy a good one with no snags,
-chinese sticks
-that thing that's like a piece of leather and you put the 1 chinese sticks thru it
-occasional breakage free elastic bands (just make sure you use one big enough for your hair, if you have a line showing after you take it off it's too small/tight)
-hair bands that do not have teeth on the underside and are not too tight.
-bigger u-shaped bobby pins.

Back