Question about relaxers....

daviine

I am amazed by the way some of you are so in tune with your hair. What I mean by that is---I noticed that several people have used different brands of relaxer and actually notice the differences in results they get from using a differnt relaxer brand or strength.

What are you looking for when you look for a new relaxer? How do you decide if a relaxer is suited for your hair? What differences are you looking for in your hair? Are you noting these differences in some kind of journal--otherwise--how would you be able to compare the differences over time?

Although I know not all relaxers are created/formulated equally, they all have the same function and basically the same active ingredient (depending on whether it is lye- or no-lye respectively). So.....what makes you decide that a particular relaxer is a wrong for your hair or right? How do you know that it isn't more a matter of the manner in which it was applied?

I hope my questions make sense becasue I want to be in tune with my hair too!!!!
laugh.gif

Hey Daviine, (what's up girl?)
wave.gif

Your question makes perfect sense. I think that much will depend on the brand and strength of the relaxer you use each time and definately on who applies it and how.

For me, I use the same strength all the time; regular. I started using lye relaxers and I found they were much better for my hair. I also have one person that does my relaxers for me. The only thing that would change often was the brand I would use. I've been looking for a relaxer to blow me away with the results. How, I never knew, but I knew I would know it when I experienced it.

Some relaxers didn't straighten my hair enough. Others left my hair too straight. Some relaxers left my hair feeling dry and very brittle, almost fragile looking. I used the Optimum lye for a few months and liked it o.k. The last 2 relaxers I liked more. The first was Mizani. The Mizani left my hair looking very nice, and my hair wasn't dry looking. My hair wasn't too straight which was fine with me. Sunday I tried the Elucence relaxer and loved it. My hair was straightened just right, it wasn't limp, I didn't lose hair during the application, I was really happy with it and I've decided that if my hair stays looking as good as it does now without breakage, I'm going to stay with Elucence for a while.

I hope that made sense as to what I look for personally from a relaxer.
smile.gif

But if you're only touching up your new growth, are you judging only your new growth?

Whenyou refer to hair in the comb, are you referring to during the relaxer process? If so, I'd have no way of knowing how much hair I lost. I can see me trying to ask the stylist--how much hair did I lose? Can you count the strands please?
laugh.gif

I would not be able to judge effectively because I haven't had a steady stylist. I went to Marvin twice and before that I was with my other stylist for over a year.
Thanks so much for your response. I'm glad my question made sense and I look forward to hearing what others say.

HINT HINT
wink.gif
grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
But if you're only touching up your new growth, are you judging only your new growth?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's my new growth. Sometimes the roots and the rest of my hair don't match up, you know? It will look a little kinkier than the rest of my hair, or straighter.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Whenyou refer to hair in the comb, are you referring to during the relaxer process? If so, I'd have no way of knowing how much hair I lost. I can see me trying to ask the stylist--how much hair did I lose? Can you count the strands please?
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!
laugh.gif
Yes, I look at the comb and ask how my hair is doing. Luckily I don't go to a salon. I have a friend come to my house to do it for me, so I'm comfortable scrutinizing the whole process. I gotta know...
smile.gif

The one and only time I used Motions Oil Relaxer, I noticed 3 weeks later that it looked like I hadn't relaxed at all. That never happened with other lye relaxers. That's how I noticed that Motions Oil wasn't for me. When I used Affirm, my hair was straighter longer, and I could go longer without the need for a touch up. I hope this helps!!
smile.gif

My hairdresser was using Affirm sensitive scalp on me for a while. And I actually didn't notice the difference until she switch back to Revlon Fabulaxer. And then I noticed the difference. Affirm made my hair feel dry seemed to always tangle when wet.

But Revlon Fabulaxer........makes my hair so smooth and soft, and my hair is easy to comb through when wet. And my hair looks so moisturized. I am definatley making sure she always uses Fabulaxer on my hair. I love it

I am a fan of Revlon Fabulaxer too. I actually just came back from Wal-Mart with the relaxer in one of my bags. I plan to relax tomorrow. I love the silky-smooth healthy feeling it gives me. Its definately a winner!
weird.gif

Back