Question about moisturizing..

Glamiam

Okay so being a member on here has taught me ALOT about moisturizing and sealing to retain length. I am currently 4a relaxed and since majority of the time I am usually doing protective styles,(bunning, bantu knot outs) i have no problem moisturizing and sealing. Other than that, when i want to wear my hair out i find that moisturizing and sealing makes my hair too heavy and "cakey". I don't get that light flowey look after moisturizing and sealing when i wear my hair out. Are there any moisturizers that i can use that are not too heavy? The ones i use are mainly butters and creams, so i know for sure that they are making my hair heavy.

Thanks alot ladies for your responses!!

maybe your using too much moisturizer, it may not seen like enough but all you really need is about a dime size amount or moisturizer and seal. I use aloe oil creamy moisturizer

I moisturize and seal at night and then in the morning, if need be, i'll dab some more stuff on my ends. Makes a huge difference.

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I have found a good sealing oil, but yet to find a good moisturizer that leaves my hair light and airy without weighing it down.

Coconut oil is a good one if you are anti -cone, however if use cones (which I do when wearing my hair out) any type of serum will do on the ends and to help with fly-aways. I will switch btwn the two during the time that my hair is out. Also if you find your hair getting weighed down and piecy, go a day or two without using something also take a paddle brush and a large tooth comb and go through your hair once or twice a week to aerate and give it that flow again (thanks MsKbibbi). Here is the link: YouTube - mskibibi's Channel

when my hair is straight I also like to use a few drops of jojoba oil and that gets me moisturized without weighing it down too much.

Okay thank you ladies so i always thought that coconut oil and jojoba oil only sealed and didn't moisturize. Thanks for clearing this for me!

Okay thank you ladies so i always thought that coconut oil and jojoba oil only sealed and didn't moisturize. Thanks for clearing this for me!

EVCO penetrates to the cortex so it can be used as a moisturizer. Jojoba oil is a wax so it just seals but if it is used periodically it is fine.

You could just opt out of moisturizing/sealing all together, when your hair is straight. as previous posters mentioned you could use a few drops of oil to condition your hair without weighing it down to much :)

Long term relationship leave in (when your hair is straight), Neutrogena Silk touch leave in, kimmay version of leave-in mix (WITHOUT THE OILS.... OR POSSIBLE 1/2 THE OILS SHE USES)

on days that you are wearing a wrap, OPT for moisturizers and skip the sealing... or seal with Finishing sheen or conditioning spray... I HAVEN'T BEEN STRAIGHT FOR SOME TIME NOW... but i think the red bottle was the finishing sheen & conditioning spray (ANYONE KNOW THE NAME? ... FORGOT)

ALSO Optimum conditioning spray ... (not an oil sheen)

If retention is your goal, I will admit sometimes I have to just give in on the weighed down look
Moisturize & seal then roll your hair on huge rollers....wear a beautiful slightly weighed down straight/rollerset
But those other moisturizers and conditioning sprays mentioned DO NOT WEIGH THE HAIR DOWN
I have extremely fine hair

Long term relationship leave in (when your hair is straight), Neutrogena Silk touch leave in, kimmay version of leave-in mix (WITHOUT THE OILS.... OR POSSIBLE 1/2 THE OILS SHE USES)

on days that you are wearing a wrap, OPT for moisturizers and skip the sealing... or seal with Finishing sheen or conditioning spray... I HAVEN'T BEEN STRAIGHT FOR SOME TIME NOW... but i think the red bottle was the finishing sheen & conditioning spray (ANYONE KNOW THE NAME? ... FORGOT)
ALSO Optimum conditioning spray ... (not an oil sheen)

If retention is your goal, I will admit sometimes I have to just give in on the weighed down look
Moisturize & seal then roll your hair on huge rollers....wear a beautiful slightly weighed down straight/rollerset
But those other moisturizers and conditioning sprays mentioned DO NOT WEIGH THE HAIR DOWN
I have extremely fine hair

Yup its called Finisheen (that was my ish back in the day)

Speaking of oil sheens, Avlon kercare makes a good one that has a humidity blocker (I still have the same bottle from over 3 years ago. I love the way it smells.

If you are looking for a moisturizer that is light and does it job, Neutrogena Triple Moisture (NTM) Silk Leave-In Cream I found was the best for my hair, then I seal with my oil. Oh it is really good also to put on your roots when stretching relaxer for detangling. HHJ!

Moisturize by misting with a liquid leave in and then seal with a light oil like sunflower. Sunflower doesn't weigh hair down at all.

Back