Question about conrows with extensions

deontaer

Hi Ladies,

I got tired of wearing buns and updos every day so I went and got some feed in cornrows at the beginning of May. My question is how long should I keep them in? On the "Grow Afro Hair Long" site, she suggests only 2 weeks, but I've read on other sites that 4 to 6 weeks was okay. Tomorrow will make it 3 weeks for me and my cornrows still look fabulous - but it is growing like a weed, especially in the back where some of the rows are starting to hang, but I can disguise that in a nice bun (I always seem to come back to the bun:))...anyway, for those of you who have worn cornrows, how long did you keep them in?

Also, how was the condition of your hair when you took them out? My hair is about an inch and a half below bra strap and when the girl saw how long it was when I took it out of the bun, she said she'd never cornrow her hair if it was that long:confused:. I moisturize daily, wash my hair twice a week and oil my scalp 2 to 3 times a week sleep in a stain bonnet on a satin pillow with the ends in a satin scrunchie...do you think I'll be okay when I take them down?

I've not kept any in longer than 3 weeks and that was pushing it. I just prefer the appearance of fresh, tight (not too tight) braids.

I got tired of them after about 2 weeks and took them out. I'm really bad with putting a scarf on at night. Mines looked fuzzy by them. You should be able to go at least 3 maybe 4 if you keep them up. It won't hurt anything to leave them in longer. How do you wash them twice a week without getting them fuzzy?

I wear crotchet (lace) braids in the summer, which are basically the same thing, and I keep them in 4 weeks. I wash twice a week, sometimes with stocking cap over my head to help keep the mneat and from loosening.

deontaer said:
Hi Ladies,

I got tired of wearing buns and updos every day so I went and got some feed in cornrows at the beginning of May. My question is how long should I keep them in? On the "Grow Afro Hair Long" site, she suggests only 2 weeks, but I've read on other sites that 4 to 6 weeks was okay. Tomorrow will make it 3 weeks for me and my cornrows still look fabulous - but it is growing like a weed, especially in the back where some of the rows are starting to hang, but I can disguise that in a nice bun (I always seem to come back to the bun:))...anyway, for those of you who have worn cornrows, how long did you keep them in?

Also, how was the condition of your hair when you took them out? My hair is about an inch and a half below bra strap and when the girl saw how long it was when I took it out of the bun, she said she'd never cornrow her hair if it was that long:confused:. I moisturize daily, wash my hair twice a week and oil my scalp 2 to 3 times a week sleep in a stain bonnet on a satin pillow with the ends in a satin scrunchie...do you think I'll be okay when I take them down?

I think you'll be just fine.. I have twists in and its been 3 weeks exactly today, I have been doing what you have been (just not as much washing as the twists are quite loose and I did them myself so weren't the neatest to begin with) but every so often I take out a twist and re done it and my hair is looking and feeling fantabulous, really moisturised, 0 breakage. 3 weeks imo is not alot of time I seen many women (even on here) go for longer time frames with good results

good thread. i'm thinking about getting braids before labor but i'm worried about breakage. keep the comments coming ladies.

To me cornrows with extentions are no different than cornrows under a sew-in weave. You can keep in a weave for 6-8 weeks. I have kept a set of cornrows in for 4-6 weeks without any damage....but the cornrows were close together were you could not really see any of the parts, so when my hair did start to grow it wasnt as obvious. I keep up my braids and weaves the same way with no damage to my hair (leave-in and braid spray). I say leave them in until they look like they really need to come out. Follow grow afto hair long steps to taking braids out and you should be fine. HTH

BTW, there is one woman on that site that talks about leaving in her cornrows for like a month and half before she takes them down and has not had a problem with her hair yet.

nice thread. With everything you are doing I think you should be fine when you take them down. As long as your new growth isnt matted, I think you should be fine.

How are you washing and moisturizing?

lucy said:
nice thread. With everything you are doing I think you should be fine when you take them down. As long as your new growth isnt matted, I think you should be fine.

How are you washing and moisturizing?

Thanks so much for all the responses. I want to keep my hair in conrows for the entire summer, so I just needed all of your advice on how long to keep the conrows before redoing them. When I finally do take them out, I'm going to deep condition, trim, then redo them the next week and repeat the cycle until the beginning of September.

Hi Lucy,

I pull my new cornrows up from the base several times a day so they don't start to mat, and if I see the little white bulbs where some of the hair shed I pull them out immediately so that I don't have a chance to mat up. The way I wash my hair is with these little squirt bottles that I got from the hospital when I had my daughter. Their 8oz and have one of those pull up bullet tops. I use a nice squirt of Elasta QP's scalp stimulating clarifying shampoo and the shampoo for relaxed hair, then fill the rest, with water and shake. I then wet it and squit the whole bottle on my scalp. I let it sit for about a minute or 2, then use one of my daughters baby wash cloths to gently rub my scalp down. I then do the same thing with the Elasta QP Intense moisturizing conditioner mixed with a little bit of Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. Once I finish with that, I pour a final rinse on my hair that is made up of Mostly water, ACV, rosemary EO, horestail, nettle, pepermint EO and a tablespoon of olive oil - makes my scalp feel fresh and tingly. I wrap my hair and a turbie twist and when it's mostly dry, I use an applicator bottle to oil my scalp with coconut, jojob and tea tree oil. I let it finish drying, then put it in a bun and satin bonnet for the rest of the night.

Oh yeah, I use my own moisturizing hair spritz that I created several times a day to keep my hair moisturized and use the braid/infusium mix the day before I wash because it leaves a noticable film on my hair that I don't like.

Back