Ques. about hair chopsticks

blkvetteblack

Hello everyone. I'm new to the board and I have read just about every post/discussion
trampoline.gif
. My current hair lenghth is 23inches 3c/4a, my goal is 'classic' length, which is just underneath your bum. I have a question about hair chopsticks. How do you use them
nuts.gif
? I wear my hair in one ponytail using only a scrunchie and I don't really care for buns. I want to try something different. If anyone can help, please give me step-by-step instructions. Thx

Current Supplements:
MSM 4000mg a day (divided doses)
Biotin 12mg a day
Multiple Vitamin
Bovine Ovary 2000mg a day (divided doses)
L-cysteine 1000mg a day
Ester C 1500mg a day (divided doses)
Silica 672mg a day

Hi, just wanted to welcome u to the board
wave.gif

I'm not thrilled about chop sticks cuz they're prone to break precious hairs during "insertion". Then again, maybe I wasn't skillful enough.... just be careful when using them
cool.gif

Hi Peachtree. What would you suggest? I have worn my hair in braids for the past 6 years and I'm not big on french rolls, buns, etc. I need to find a style that will keep my ends protected.

How long is ur hair? R u natural, relaxed, transitioning, texturized? Just trying to get an understanding of ur hair...

Ok. My hair is 23inches and natural??! I have not had a relaxer in 6mos. I use Curl Free by Gillette. The last one was applied 1 week ago. This system is so gentle, it can be applied without gloves and you are required to gentle comb your hair for 20minutes. This is the only product I feel safe/comfortable using on my hair. And believe it or not I had little to no shedding after using this system. I don't plan on using any more relaxers on my hair. I don't know it my hair would be considered natural or relaxed. I hope this helps. Thx for your timely responses. I appreciate all of your help.

Girl, I'm sorry... I should have noticed the "23 inches" in ur original post
fishslap.gif

Well, Hmmm
scratchchin.gif
... thinking out loud... umm, well, let's see... no buns, no french rolls.....oh oh... "THE PHONYTAIL"
up.gif
. Are u willing to wear a phony ponytail? With this style, ur natural hair is up, in a protective style (bun) while ur sporting a cute lil ponytail, puff, whateva
cool.gif
. To get an idea, I recommend that u visit "Adrienne's album". In fact, here's the link

http://www.picturetrail.com/adrienne0914

...or, there's always braid or twist outs, but ur ends will be exposed unless u gather the style back into a bun (which ur not thrilled about
ohwell.gif
...)

Classic length is my goal too.
smile.gif
Anyhow, chopsticks in a ponytail may slip out more easily because there's nothing to anchor them. When you put chopsticks in a bun, roll or chignon, you slid it through the bun (etc.) to keep the hair in place and also to keep the chopstick from falling out.

However, you can give it a try.

1. Start by placing your hair in a high ponytail and securingit with a small elastic scrunchie

2. Pick a side of the ponytail and gather a slim section of the hair. Wrap it around the scrunchie and tuck the ends under the band.

3. Now that your band is hidden, it will appear as if only your hair (the section that you wrapped) is what's keeping your hair in a ponytail.

4. For added body, put a roller in the rest of the ponytail and secure it with a clip.

5. Arm yourself with your chopsticks and head straight for some pomade or cream moisturizer. Rub a teeny tiny amount on the end of the chopsticks. Only up to where you will put them in your hair.

6. You're going to put them in an "X" shape just a little above where the ponytail starts. This will help to keep them from falling out. Slide them in gently and slowly. If you put them in too fast, you may break strands. Put them through enough so that you can see half the amount up top and half the amount on the bottom.

7. Carefully wipe off the amount of moisturizer left on the bottom of the sticks. Try not to move them around or they'll loosen. And you're done.

These are my own step-by-step directions. I couldn't find anything for a chopstick/ponytail combination. Let me know how it turns out!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have not had a relaxer in 6mos. I use Curl Free by Gillette. The last one was applied 1 week ago. This system is so gentle, it can be applied without gloves and you are required to gentle comb your hair for 20minutes. This is the only product I feel safe/comfortable using on my hair. And believe it or not I had little to no shedding after using this system. I don't plan on using any more relaxers on my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
Hold my mule! A not-so-caustic system that releases curl and can be applied at home by regular people? I'm "fixing" to send blkbvetteblack a short questionnaire regarding this Curl Free by Gillette.
fan.gif

Hi megonw. It doesn't work as fast as you might think. Depending on your hair type it may take a few applications to achieve the look you desire. The good thing about this product is you can apply it one week later or within the same week. I usually wait 2 weeks. The downside to this product is it is time consuming, but I'm not complaining
swearing.gif
nono.gif
It's the only thing I use.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I tried the hair sticks, but I had to remove them. I am prone to migrane headaches when my hair is pulled up. I think that's why I don't care for buns, french rolls and the rest. I need to find a style that I can wear that will not cause stress on my hair and in turn give me headaches. PLEEEEZE HELP
notworthy.gif
I'm at a standstill
wallbash.gif

Blkvetteblack, I get migraines too so I know where you're coming from. How about using a silk or satin ribbon tying it around your head at the perimeter of your hair all round (you may need to bend forward so your hair is hanging down if you want the bun at the center of your head or just hold your head up if you want it towards the back). Place the center of the "ribbon" at the back of your head at the base of your hair and cross the ends over each other above your forehead and let the ribbon slide down your hair as you pull he ends further away till it forms a pony tail. If you use a satin ribbon - even a makeshift one ripped from a petticoat/slip - it'll not pull your hair too tight, but will have it lying flat. Am I making myself clear?
ohwell.gif
I'm wearing braids and I tried it with a silk scarf that you wear around your neck and I succeeded in making a pony that wasn't so tight. If your hair is well moisturized, this might work best coz the ribbon will slide without pulling your hair. Of course you'll have to use something smaller than a scarf if you plan on concealing it.

Alternatively, you could make a part (zigzag even) at the crown of your head and do a flat twist on either side of your head so that the two flat twists meet at the back and you can use a cage (like Boadicea does) or barrette (sp?) to hold the style after you tuck in the ends. If I think of more ideas, I'll let you know...

Boadicea, I'm glad the chopsticks without pins worked.
clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have not had a relaxer in 6mos. I use Curl Free by Gillette. The last one was applied 1 week ago. This system is so gentle, it can be applied without gloves and you are required to gentle comb your hair for 20minutes. This is the only product I feel safe/comfortable using on my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curl Free has been around for years and years!!! My Mom used to use it way back in the day; I'd say in the 70's. If I'm not mistaken, it IS considered a relaxer. I think it is milder than the standard relaxer though. Maybe along the same lines as Vigorol, perhaps a little stronger... I didn't even realize this stuff was still being sold!! I do know that my Mom used to swear by it...
smile.gif

Yes indeed.
scratchchin.gif
The non-commercial references I found to Curl Free on the internet were mostly on nostalgia pages referring to curly haired white school girls in the 60s and 70s who wanted the popular straight styles but didn't go to salons yet. Active ingredient is ammonium bisulfite. pH is 7.6.

My mom still relaxes her own hair with Vigorol a couple times a year, but carefully. It makes the hair smell like lye when you sweat even if you neutralized thoroughly. It WILL burn and bald if left on for long.
antlers.gif
Tough to find beauticians who even recognize the brand anymore. It doesn't remove as much curl as Affirm mild with lye, so she still presses and curls sometimes.

Since I'm taking baby
babyg.gif
steps to self-relaxing, Curl Free seems the least damaging process to try at home. I wouldn't risk Affirm or even Vigorol without professional help. Feels like I'm dancing with the devil...

[ QUOTE ]
Hello everyone. I'm new to the board and I have read just about every post/discussion
trampoline.gif
. My current hair lenghth is 23inches 3c/4a, my goal is 'classic' length, which is just underneath your bum. I have a question about hair chopsticks. How do you use them
nuts.gif
? I wear my hair in one ponytail using only a scrunchie and I don't really care for buns. I want to try something different. If anyone can help, please give me step-by-step instructions. Thx

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Blkvetteblack...Welcome to LHCF!
wave.gif

Try the How To's thread for extra ideals. HTH!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Since I'm taking baby
babyg.gif
steps to self-relaxing, Curl Free seems the least damaging process to try at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Megon,
Pls. let me know how it works for you!! I might consider trying this myself if you get good results!!

Thanks!

Back