Q & A: Pro roller setters share your tips!

Bella_Atl

I've noticed a few ladies in the roller set challenge are having a few challenges with the roller setting technique or some even a little frustrated. So pro roller setters please share some of your tips or tricks to help your sisters out!:grin:

These are the problems I'm reading the most: crunchy hair, frizzy hair, short hairs and just getting the rollers to stay in. So here are some of the tricks I have learned.

Crunchy hair: Too much product. I only use a dime size of any product. Either serum or leave in. Less is more!
Frizzy hair: Stay under the dryer until your hair is completely dry! Read a book or something AND your hair should be completely saturated. Someone suggested wetting the rollers (I gotta try that one). I use a spray bottle and I spray each section before rolling.
Noticing short hairs: Unless you notice your hair is thining my understanding (what I've been told) is your hair has a natural growth cycle so you naturaly have shorter hairs all over your head that lay with your natural hair. When you wrap your hair around a roller they dry standing up because they are too short. Therefore you notice them sticking up when you normaly wouldn't have.
My personal tip: I use ice cold water in my spray bottle. Makes my hair smoooth and shiiiiny like glass!

Grasshoppers ask your questions. Senseis share the knowledge please!:grin:

Last edited:
I rollerset my hair in the opposite direction because it makes my roots smoother. My avatar pic is a rollerset I did. Also, let ur hair dry all the way. I cannot stress this enough. Using a moisturizing leave helps in term of breakage when taking out the rollers. I've found that using foam or anything like actually makes my hair more difficult to deal with and more prone to breakage. You mus keep ur hair extremely wet for a smoother set. That's all I can think of for now. Hth.

Oh and saran wrapping after your roller set. If you are a sweater like me don't stay under the drying for more than 3-5 minutes. My first saran wrap I stayed under 20 minutes or so. When I took that saran wrap off I looked like Richard Simmons. I almost cried. I had to start all over.:nono:

Back