PROTECTIVE STYLES AND FASHION..CAN THE 2 WORK TOGETHER?

MRJ1972

I am struggling to feel "fashionable" while wearing protective styles. I feel like plain jane no matter what I wear, especially when I am stretching relaxers because then I look like "helmet head" :nono:

What are you guys doing with your wardrobe to spruce up your look while sporting buns, twist outs, etc? I would be considered to have a classic style - I love the Gap, and Banana Republic type stores.

I can no longer rock my plain old t-shirt and jeans and look "cute" because my hair looks "blah"! :perplexed

Have you tried to change your part? I usually do a side "swoop" and use my NG to help with the volume, and then I use a nice clip to loosely pull up the hair with a few pieces in the back left out...I'll try to find a picture for you. I actually prefer my hair when it's about two months post because my updos look fuller...

I guess it also depends on your hair length...sorry, I meant to add this the first time

Last edited:
If you check out my thread, you'll see the variety of protective styles that I used to transition for 2.5 years. That'll help give you an idea of the different styles you might want to try. There are different ways to wear your buns too. You have to switch up the styles so it doesn't look so boring, and I've also been dabbling with makeup so that helps too.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=355651&highlight=

Maybe a hairstyle kind of like this with a few pieces out in the back (I usually pin all the front back)..also, have you tried to curl the ends of your hair with rollers? This can add some glamour as well.

Attachments

• black-hairstyles-3.jpg
    black-hairstyles-3.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 15
I love to rock the phony pony's I have a straight bob, fliped bob, spiral curls, afro puff, kinky waves and a crimped on I pin up so it looks like a natural 3c puff.

I also agree with moving the part and rocking bangs. I do the side swoo to help hide new growth and I sometimes rock straight across bangs, but I'm trying to stop cutting the bangs right now.

HTH!

I love to rock the phony pony's I have a straight bob, fliped bob, spiral curls, afro puff, kinky waves and a crimped on I pin up so it looks like a natural 3c puff.

I also agree with moving the part and rocking bangs. I do the side swoo to help hide new growth and I sometimes rock straight across bangs, but I'm trying to stop cutting the bangs right now.

HTH!

Just clip in a few extensions for your bangs and STOP cutting your real hair! :yep:

Nah, you can work it.
I have my hair in twists now and rocked them a few times.
I usually put perm rollers on the ends, put the back up and attach with bobby pins (not so great but it secures the hair exactly where I want them to be) or with my chinese stick.. I let the front twists come down to frame my face either on both sides or all the front on one side. Depending on where the hair is placed in the back it could look FUNKY!!!!! Sometimes, I'll undo the front for a twist-out.
Here's a style I did last year (the last time I did it as well). Click on the first pic not the chunky twists, I wouldn’t rock that lol!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=221889&highlight=

With a twist out you can pin the sides up to make it funky too. I've gotten more compliments on my hair this month. Probably b/c my heat damage ends are growing out...

im am in bun city right now but what i did was got many dangly classy earings, i also got some head bands and neck scarfs then i seen hair clips and so many diff hair pins mmmm
it mad me feel so brand new and fresh i also kept my make up simple and fresh for the oh sooo natural look lol and a little bit of gloss aint bad either im luvin my buns

thats funny, i just left banana republic and thought i looked fantastic with the donut bun in those clothes! i think the donut bun and the southerntease bun are very stylish.

try different kinds of updos to mix things up.

Nicole Richie wore lots of different updos and braided buns last summer and they all looked very chic. :yep:

Have you tried to change your part? I usually do a side "swoop" and use my NG to help with the volume, and then I use a nice clip to loosely pull up the hair with a few pieces in the back left out...I'll try to find a picture for you. I actually prefer my hair when it's about two months post because my updos look fuller...

This is exactly what I do - been doing it for the past 2 years! :lachen:

Back