Protecting my hair from my wig

PittiPat

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but the search function is not working for me. My question is: What should go between my hair and my new wig? Today is “day two” since I’ve been wearing it, and it’s beginning to itch at the temples. I’ve tried a silk scarf underneath, but as you can imagine, it keeps slipping.

I use a wig cap, but I get scared that my hair will get pulled on by the stocking...that's my only "concern"

Your wig cap should not shift or move, to snag you hair. Maybe try a smaller cap. There are different types of caps. You just have to find the right one with a good fit. HTH

I just got a new wig and it is so beautiful!! Its named after Bey..hahah but it doesn't resemble any of her hair styles...

I am just sitting here with it on and it's itching!! Is that normal. I did a search and found this thread. I have a stocking cap on but it's creaping a little bit....

How are you supposed wear these things with out them sliping or itching!!?

That is a very good question. I have a wig that I wear from time to time and I use a wig cap. By the end of the day, the cap/wig starts to shift, itch and feel uncomfortable. Is there something to prevent this form happening? I love wearing it; it's a beautiful style.

AtlantaJJ said:
I just got a new wig and it is so beautiful!! Its named after Bey..hahah but it doesn't resemble any of her hair styles...

I am just sitting here with it on and it's itching!! Is that normal. I did a search and found this thread. I have a stocking cap on but it's creaping a little bit....

How are you supposed wear these things with out them sliping or itching!!?

Where'd you buy your wig? Does it look natural?

kweenameena said:
Where'd you buy your wig? Does it look natural?

I got it at the BSS - Its a great color match, I think it looks pretty good, and I'm picky... I saw a weird head band thingie... that might help with the slippage. Let me go look it up and then I'll post.

I'll post some pictures soon.

january noir said:
That is a very good question. I have a wig that I wear from time to time and I use a wig cap. By the end of the day, the cap/wig starts to shift, itch and feel uncomfortable. Is there something to prevent this form happening? I love wearing it; it's a beautiful style.

I have no idea how this works, but i noticed it the other day its called a comfy grip....
COMFYGRIP_EY.JPG

AtlantaJJ said:
I have no idea how this works, but i noticed it the other day its called a comfy grip....
COMFYGRIP_EY.JPG
Okay I got it... this is from the growafrohairlong.com site.... I have to get one of these, I wore my wig around the house this evening and I discovered that my hairline does NOT want anything touching it. Good to know before I invested into anything big ! She recommends these comfy grip thingies because they protect your growing hair.. .she recommends against wearing nylon stocking caps for any extended period of time. I kind felt that too, that's why I went poking around.

The following is quoted from her web site.
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Wigs To Grow Your Hair [/FONT]​

Wigs can be worn to protect the hair while growing. In the past when a person's hair grows out using a wig, there were down falls, either the hairline was fading or there were skin rashes around the hairline. To avoid this, wear a wig liner that is made for such a problem. Make sure your wig is a net wig that allows your scalp to breathe. A moist scalp under a wig or hat can cause premature balding and scalp fungus.
A wig can also be used for a no contact hairstyle during the growing stages.

Nylon and cotton wig caps can ruin your new growth and hair. A wig liner such as a comfy grip worn alone under a wig will give more protection of your actual hair than a nylon or cotton wig cap. Wig liners that are nylon or cotton should not be worn regularly when using a wig to grow your hair. The comfy grip wig liner is a therapeutic headband filled with a medically approved gel. It reduces shear forces of the wig on the skin and distributes the weight of the wig evenly, also prevents pressure sores.
The Wig Regimen:

Deep condition your hair weekly
Shampoo your hair using the shampooing Regimen
Start a healthy food diet including plenty of fruits, vegetables, proteins, and/or vitamins and minerals. See Foods
Wear a protective wig liner
Have your new growth clipped regularly when needed.
Sleep in satin or silk feel material ------sleep bonnets.
As you hair begins to grow longer, wrap your hair around your crown under the wig or wear natural braids under your wig. >>
Products
Mega Multi Hair Vitamin
Super High Potency Vitamins
Amino Protein For Hair
Afro Detangler
Flat Ironing Creme
Scalp Oil
Braid Extensions FREE
Taking Out Extensions FREE
spacer.gif

growafrohairlong.com & Crown & Glory Technique

Hi....I've got to get one of these.....my hairline also does not like the wig cap I've been wearing....I need one ASAP........:)
Does anyone know where are they sold? I did a search and have not had any luck!!! TIA

i usually wear a wig cap(nylon stocking cap)...but i do notice that it does slip..but usually i go into the bathroom and readjust it...i also found one at walgreens this morning that i want to try and thats not a nylon stocking cap...it was only 1.39...and it looks like a net...so this should be good to allow my hair underneath to breath...but it doesnt look as damaging as the nylon stocking cap would be...as described on the package a cool mesh stretch fabric with a open top...its called a stocking wig cap liner...and its suppose to prevent breakage, naturally controls wigs without pins....its made by the Donna Collection...let me see if i can find a picture of it..

here is the website but it doesnt really give you a good picture of it..

http://www.titandonna.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16542&cat=317&page=1

I also have saw the one that Robin Woods mentioned on her website and have tried searching on ebay for it and from a vendor that she recommended the price is kind of too steep for me right...i think it was like 29.99...

i read up somewhere and found information about the comfy grip stating that it is also recommended and used for cancer patients that wear wigs..

bluediamond0829 said:
i usually wear a wig cap(nylon stocking cap)...but i do notice that it does slip..but usually i go into the bathroom and readjust it...i also found one at walgreens this morning that i want to try and thats not a nylon stocking cap...it was only 1.39...and it looks like a net...so this should be good to allow my hair underneath to breath...but it doesnt look as damaging as the nylon stocking cap would be...as described on the package a cool mesh stretch fabric with a open top...its called a stocking wig cap liner...and its suppose to prevent breakage, naturally controls wigs without pins....its made by the Donna Collection...let me see if i can find a picture of it..

here is the website but it doesnt really give you a good picture of it..

http://www.titandonna.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16542&cat=317&page=1

I also have saw the one that Robin Woods mentioned on her website and have tried searching on ebay for it and from a vendor that she recommended the price is kind of too steep for me right...i think it was like 29.99...

i read up somewhere and found information about the comfy grip stating that it is also recommended and used for cancer patients that wear wigs..
Thank you Bluediamond0829:) :)

londonjakki said:
Thank you Bluediamond0829:) :)

ur welcome...

i wore the wig cap i brought yesterday from walgreens and boy can i tell a big difference soon as i put the wig on it stayed in place...i guess because of the band thats around the wig...so i can see how its not moving..even when i put the wig on once it was in place that was it..i didnt have any problems even when i took the brush and brushed the hair in place..im definetly going to go back and buy some more of these because my hair just has that on it inbetween the wig and it doesnt even feel like im wearing a stocking cap or anything...

i just cant see myself paying 25.00 for the comfy grip when i can buy a new wig for almost that amount...but then again im not really having issues with my edges thining or anything like that either...i believe thats the reason Robin Woods suggested the comfy grip....

Back