Prominent Pastor Sporting A Diamond Stud Earring

I don't know if I like studs on Pastors. It seems too street to me but if he's changing lives and saving souls its ok with me. :grin:

That is true and I am not implying that a man with an earring has an ugly heart. I am speaking more to the idea that what we as Christians do outwardly is sending a message and some kind of witness to the people of the world, whether we want it to or not. It also sends a message to others in Christ, especially babes in the Lord. The outward appearance is part of our witness for whom we say we represent.

I agree. My problem with this for even all men is that wearing one does not have a real purpose. I have ask this question to some men but I feel a Pastor has to be careful because it look like he is looking for attention and most leaders do have people following what they do especaily the babes in Christ and the young people. WHO IS THE MAN? I think I can guess.

edited - found another posts that insists these are photoshopped - however G Craige Lewis stated this last year some time...

Last edited:
edited - found another posts that insists these are photoshopped - however G Craige Lewis stated this last year some time...

I was watching Entertainment Tonight on my television, not on the internet, and the earring was more than obvious. I've just been informed of the photoshopped pictures, but genuine footage on Entertainment Tonight, of course, was not photoshopped. :( (I wish it was just photoshopping...sigh)

Last edited:
I was watching Entertainment Tonight on my television, not on the internet, and the earring was more than obvious. I've just been informed of the photoshopped pictures, but genuine footage on Entertainment Tonight, of course, was not photoshopped. :( (I wish it was just photoshopping...sigh)

I think it is ridiculous - what are you trying to prove getting an earring in your old age?

Lord please help us to fall out of love with the world and fall in love with you.

Amen.

I'm not trying to be controversial or anything - so please bear with me.

But if wearing earrings are of the world and such what about relaxing hair styling hair etc, purposing dressing to look nice etc?

Is this something which is wrong for men only? or women also?

Can anyone share any scriptures that suggests earrings are wrong?

I'm not trying to be controversial or anything - so please bear with me.

But if wearing earrings are of the world and such what about relaxing hair styling hair etc, purposing dressing to look nice etc?

Is this something which is wrong for men only? or women also?

Can anyone share any scriptures that suggests earrings are wrong?

Again, it has a lot to do with our witness to people in the world and other believers. No one in the world is going to see a Christian as "common folk" if someone has a relaxer or cute hair style. What association does a particular action or symbol have? A relaxer does not have a worldly association. No one is going to be taken aback if they see someone wearing a relaxer.

Perfect Example: When Tyler Perry was on Oprah promoting Why Did I Get Married?, he talked about some party that he and Janet Jackson were at. Tyler Perry goes on to say how happy he was that there was an open bar at the party and how much he enjoyed "throwing back" drinks that night. Oprah, who had always known him as someone who openly glorified God got wide eyed and said something like "YOU got excited about an open bar???" That is not the behavior that is expected of a Christian, hence Oprah's surprise. (and mine too & probably a bunch of other folks) What message did this send to believers and non-believers who had always seen Tyler as someone who was "set apart" from the world?

Re: your other question--

No, I do not have any specific scriptures suggesting that men wearing earrings are wrong. There are many things that are wrong for Christians that we will not find verbatim scriptures for. I believe the scripture quoted earlier in this thread regarding being in the world, but not of the world is an appropriate scripture for this scenario.

I don't see the big deal about an earring (unless it was something ginormous and ostentatious...thus not displaying modesty/humility). Tattoos are clearly forbidden in scripture, so I could understand the uproar if the man had recently tatted himself up a la Lil Wayne or 50 Cent. But it's an earring. Why make the yoke more burdensome with rules that don't even exist? This sort of reminds me of the fence laws that were created in addition to the Torah, which Jesus specifically spoke out against. For MANY people a man wearing an earring is as neutral as a man wearing jeans. It doesn't make a statement as to wear his faith stands (unlike excessive drinking, promiscuity, profane language, etc.). It seems it's more a matter of personal taste. It's one thing for a person not to like earrings on a man. It's a whole nother thing to try and back up a personal dislike with it being a directive from God.

I have a problem with it - no I will admit that I cannot find anything directly saying that men should not wear earrings, but in my generation earrings on men were first linked to the homosexual community.

My question is this? Why do something so controversial in this day and age? For a "Bishop" to just break out a the diamond stud is very risky and makes the world look at us as if we were just like them, when we are called to come out from among them and be separate. How are we to be the light that stands out in darkness if we are looking dark ourselves? The world is supposed to look at our families and lifestyles and see a difference - we should not be trying to blend in and look just like them.

In a day and age where real men seem to be so rare (especially in the black church) this just seems to be another nail in the coffin. So what do we say to the single mother looking for an example for her son? They used to be able to go to the church for this example, now with the Bishop wearing an earring and "prophets and pastors getting divorced left and right where is the un-believer to look? Where?

I have a problem with it - no I will admit that I cannot find anything directly saying that men should not wear earrings, but in my generation earrings on men were first linked to the homosexual community.

My question is this? Why do something so controversial in this day and age? For a "Bishop" to just break out a the diamond stud is very risky and makes the world look at us as if we were just like them, when we are called to come out from among them and be separate. How are we to be the light that stands out in darkness if we are looking dark ourselves? The world is supposed to look at our families and lifestyles and see a difference - we should not be trying to blend in and look just like them.

In a day and age where real men seem to be so rare (especially in the black church) this just seems to be another nail in the coffin. So what do we say to the single mother looking for an example for her son? They used to be able to go to the church for this example, now with the Bishop wearing an earring and "prophets and pastors getting divorced left and right where is the un-believer to look? Where?

But what determines the standard of "darkness?" Unless someone has on a priest's collar, nun's habit, or Amish attire, there's no way to tell if they follow Christ. If my pastor walked down the street in jeans and a non-descript T-shirt I wouldn't be able to see a difference between him and an unbeliever. Is he NOT set apart because he looks like every other man in the mall/on the street/on the bus/etc.? I wouldn't say so. On any given day you couldn't pick a Christian out of a crowd of people because there isn't a specific, identifying uniform that we are called to wear. Does that make us any less sanctified?
20-25 years ago an earring on a man was seen as bold/counterculture/etc. I distinctly remember being told that if a man wore the earring in his right ear it meant he was gay. If he wore it in the left ear it means he's straight. When guys started wearing them in both ears, I just got all confused.
Remember, it wasn't too long ago that women wearing skirts above the ankles was quite scandalous. Heck, nowadays kneelength skirts are considered demure. If you saw a Christian woman in a knee-length dress/skirt would you say that she's blending in with the darkness? Probably not, because over time styles have changed.
I look at men with earrings the same way. It's just as nondescript as jeans, khakis, loafers, a plain gold chain (all of which Christians wear, just as unbelievers do). It's just neutral, not pointing in any direction.

But what determines the standard of "darkness?" Unless someone has on a priest's collar, nun's habit, or Amish attire, there's no way to tell if they follow Christ. If my pastor walked down the street in jeans and a non-descript T-shirt I wouldn't be able to see a difference between him and an unbeliever. Is he NOT set apart because he looks like every other man in the mall/on the street/on the bus/etc.? I wouldn't say so. On any given day you couldn't pick a Christian out of a crowd of people because there isn't a specific, identifying uniform that we are called to wear. Does that make us any less sanctified?
20-25 years ago an earring on a man was seen as bold/counterculture/etc. I distinctly remember being told that if a man wore the earring in his right ear it meant he was gay. If he wore it in the left ear it means he's straight. When guys started wearing them in both ears, I just got all confused.
Remember, it wasn't too long ago that women wearing skirts above the ankles was quite scandalous. Heck, nowadays kneelength skirts are considered demure. If you saw a Christian woman in a knee-length dress/skirt would you say that she's blending in with the darkness? Probably not, because over time styles have changed.
I look at men with earrings the same way. It's just as nondescript as jeans, khakis, loafers, a plain gold chain (all of which Christians wear, just as unbelievers do). It's just neutral, not pointing in any direction.

Good post - however I choose to respectfully disagree.

Why the earring? Why now? This is a unnecessary distration from the work at hand - introducing others to Christ.

I too remember when men wearing and earring was a statement about your orientation - why would one even want to associate themselves with something of this questionable nature? The bible says that a Bishop must be above reproach -

Also, while I do wear dresses and skirts well above the knee I sometimes feel that when women were more "demure" there were farr leess attacks against women and women were held in a much higher regard.

Good post - however I choose to respectfully disagree.

Why the earring? Why now? This is a unnecessary distration from the work at hand - introducing others to Christ.

I too remember when men wearing and earring was a statement about your orientation - why would one even want to associate themselves with something of this questionable nature? The bible says that a Bishop must be above reproach -

Also, while I do wear dresses and skirts well above the knee I sometimes feel that when women were more "demure" there were farr leess attacks against women and women were held in a much higher regard.
I get what you're saying. I think an earring on a man has more to do with youth than anything else. I expect it from the 35 and under set. Seeing a man who's nearing 60 with an earring would throw me off too. I would just see it as him not acting his age.
Styles change with time and things once associated w/ questionable behavior are no longer tied to those things. In Paul's time ornate braided hairstyles on women were considered ostentatious, immodest, and something that should be avoided. Nowadays that's not the case at all. In fact, how many of us are oooh-ing and aahhh-ing over intricate braids in people's fotkis? I think since we remember earrings on men being associated w/ homosexuality it still has that tie for us. Whereas if you asked someone born after 1985, they wouldn't make that correlation at all. In another 50 years no one is going to see how the two even correlate. I guess that's why I see men with earrings as neutral. Now old men with earrings just scream "MIDLIFE CRISIS" to me. But that's something else entirely.

I don't see the big deal about an earring (unless it was something ginormous and ostentatious...thus not displaying modesty/humility). Tattoos are clearly forbidden in scripture, so I could understand the uproar if the man had recently tatted himself up a la Lil Wayne or 50 Cent. But it's an earring. Why make the yoke more burdensome with rules that don't even exist? This sort of reminds me of the fence laws that were created in addition to the Torah, which Jesus specifically spoke out against. For MANY people a man wearing an earring is as neutral as a man wearing jeans. It doesn't make a statement as to wear his faith stands (unlike excessive drinking, promiscuity, profane language, etc.). It seems it's more a matter of personal taste. It's one thing for a person not to like earrings on a man. It's a whole nother thing to try and back up a personal dislike with it being a directive from God.

Hmm? I don't think I said it was a directive from God. Whether a personal dislike or not, there is a standard for Christians and how we should present ourselves. Hey, I can't find a scripture that says sagging your pants below your butt and showing your underwear is wrong either, but I can say with certainty that no Christian should be walking around presenting him or herself in that manner.

I can't find a scripture that says a woman shouldn't wear revealing clothing in public, but we just know that this is not behavior that should typify the Christian.

As I said in an earlier post, it depends on the association.

I am not the kind of person that is going to try to "use" God to back up, as you say, my personal dislikes. There are lots of things I don't like, but I'm not sitting back saying they're all inappropriate for Christians.

Last edited:
Please allow me to introduce a point for food for thought:

We've explored the "biblical legality" of men and earring(s).

We've also explored the point of this prominent (unnamed) pastor wearing said earring.

We've also touched upon the point of whether the earring in said prominent (unnamed) pastor's ear really exists.

I read this phrase online in reference to the 1970s Watergate scandal:

It's not the crime, it's the COVER-UP"....

So first, whether or not we think/believe it is a "biblical crime" for said prominent (unnamed) pastor to sport said earring, what also seems to have occurred is a possible cover-up that said prominent unnamed pastor ever wore said earring.... So my point is:

If said prominent pastor has this earring and is wearing it proudly or whatever, it would be helpful to know or understand how/why this pastor justifies BIBLICALLY why this is acceptable. I think this is a reasonable request because this pastor is A PASTOR, overseeing a congregation, and a prominent one at that, so it would help the body of Christ to at least get a sense of this pastor's logic on this....

I better stop writing before the name spills out from my keystrokes! LOL!

I agree with you 1 million % on ALL the points who have made thus far

I was trying to get some other food for thought why an earring woud be considered forbidden; but personally I'm not convinced. I think the arguments that purport to differientate others things such as relaxers from earrings are one and the same.

How can having a relaxer or dressing nicely REALLY be differientated from an earring? IMO I think this is a mere personal opinion.

And why does it matter so much more if its a Man wearing an earring and not a Woman? Discrepancies such as this allow me to further conclude that the belief that earrings are forbidden are a result of social/ individual interpretations / judgments of what is Godly and worldly.

^^^^JMHO

I agree with you 1 million % on ALL the points who have made thus far

I was trying to get some other food for thought why an earring woud be considered forbidden; but personally I'm not convinced. I think the arguments that purport to differientate others things such as relaxers from earrings are one and the same.

How can having a relaxer or dressing nicely REALLY be differientated from an earring? IMO I think this is a mere personal opinion.

And why does it matter so much more if its a Man wearing an earring and not a Woman? Discrepancies such as this allow me to further conclude that the belief that earrings are forbidden are a result of social/ individual interpretations / judgments of what is Godly and worldly.

^^^^JMHO

Thanks for your contribution. :up:

Do you all remember the old Sprite slogan "Image is everything."

Well, in the life of a Christian image is everything. I think perhaps some are interpreting what I have shared as saying that wearing an earring is a sin. It is no more a sin than a woman wearing a shirt that shows much of her cleavage. It's not a sin to go to a club, but should a Christian do that? In the case of all(earring, club, & cleavage), what image does the person project? If a Christian, what image are they giving off to those who see them, especially nonbelievers.? Wearing a relaxer does not give off this same type of image. Again, it's the association that makes the difference. And YES, a Christian should have a certain image. Some Christians think it is okay to drink. Some say nothing is wrong with a social drink. But if that person is known to be a Christian among friends, colleagues, whomever, and then goes out to happy hour with those same people and has a drink, what message does that send to others.

We are to witness to people directly and in the way we live our lives. The way we live our lives is also related to our image. Certain acts/behaviors/ways of carrying ourselves are just not appropriate for a Christian.

Well I'll put it out there, you're talking about TD Jakes right? I mean he obviously ain't tryin to hide it so I don't see no shame in saying his name. Plus it's the talk of the Christian town right now. I'm not sure if I care or not about his earring. But this would be the LEAST of my concerns regarding him and not surprising in the least.

Well, in the life of a Christian image is everything. I think perhaps some are interpreting what I have shared as saying that wearing an earring is a sin. It is no more a sin than a woman wearing a shirt that shows much of her cleavage. It's not a sin to go to a club, but should a Christian do that? In the case of all(earring, club, & cleavage), what image does the person project? If a Christian, what image are they giving off to those who see them, especially nonbelievers.? Wearing a relaxer does not give off this same type of image. Again, it's the association that makes the difference. And YES, a Christian should have a certain image. Some Christians think it is okay to drink. Some say nothing is wrong with a social drink. But if that person is known to be a Christian among friends, colleagues, whomever, and then goes out to happy hour with those same people and has a drink, what message does that send to others.

We are to witness to people directly and in the way we live our lives. The way we live our lives is also related to our image. Certain acts/behaviors/ways of carrying ourselves are just not appropriate for a Christian.

I get your point completely. I just don't understand what image an earring gives off. All of the other examples you mentioned are clear. Showing cleavage is a modesty issue since the breasts do tend to turn folks on. I'm on the fence w/ the drinking example, as I don't know too many people who look at having 1 drink as something that sends a negative message. Excessive drinking that leads to drunkeness, yes that sends a clear negative message. Even going to the club can send a negative message because of the type of music, dancing and excessive drinking that occurs there. However, what exactly is the negative image that an earring on a man sends? I don't know anyone who looks at a man with an earring and thinks anything other than, "that man is wearing an earring," and that's if they notice it all.
Is the problem the type of earring he's wearing? Is it a big flashy diamond that shouts, "LOOK AT ME, I'M BLINGING!!" Then once again, I see it as a modesty issue. But an earring on a man in and of itself is no more descript than a pair of jeans or as mentioned before a relaxed head of hair.

I hope that the message that is sent is that accepting Jesus as your savior doesn't mean that you can't have a beer with a coworker. :look: Earrings, alcohol, ect are not salvation issues and I hope that people would focus on where they will spend the afterlife instead of concerning themselves with who drank and wore what where. :nono:

I hope that the message that is sent is that accepting Jesus as your savior doesn't mean that you can't have a beer with a coworker. :look: Earrings, alcohol, ect are not salvation issues and I hope that people would focus on where they will spend the afterlife instead of concerning themselves with who drank and wore what where. :nono:

Yes, but during this life we must be concerned with the witness we bare here on earth. We would probably need to start a new thread, but having a beer with a coworker is certainly not representative of Jesus. Someone sitting in a bar/restaurant with their cross necklace on and drinking a beer :nono:

Yes, but during this life we must be concerned with the witness we bare here on earth. We would probably need to start a new thread, but having a beer with a coworker is certainly not representative of Jesus. Someone sitting in a bar/restaurant with their cross necklace on and drinking a beer :nono:
But Jesus himself drank wine, so isn't there some sort of disconnect here. How does drinking one beer NOT represent Jesus or say anything about your walk with him one way or the other. Drunkeness is definitely not indicative, but drinking a beer?

I get your point completely. I just don't understand what image an earring gives off. All of the other examples you mentioned are clear. Showing cleavage is a modesty issue since the breasts do tend to turn folks on. I'm on the fence w/ the drinking example, as I don't know too many people who look at having 1 drink as something that sends a negative message. Excessive drinking that leads to drunkeness, yes that sends a clear negative message. Even going to the club can send a negative message because of the type of music, dancing and excessive drinking that occurs there. However, what exactly is the negative image that an earring on a man sends? I don't know anyone who looks at a man with an earring and thinks anything other than, "that man is wearing an earring," and that's if they notice it all.
Is the problem the type of earring he's wearing? Is it a big flashy diamond that shouts, "LOOK AT ME, I'M BLINGING!!" Then once again, I see it as a modesty issue. But an earring on a man in and of itself is no more descript than a pair of jeans or as mentioned before a relaxed head of hair.

I see what you're saying, and no I can't really say it's the type of earring. I don't know if I can explain any better than I have about the association that comes with certain things, and how we can be perceived by the world just from associations.

But Jesus himself drank wine, so isn't there some sort of disconnect here. How does drinking one beer NOT represent Jesus or say anything about your walk with him one way or the other. Drunkeness is definitely not indicative, but drinking a beer?

:) I was waiting on someone to say that, and I say hey if you can turn water into wine then you get to drink it!

Seriously though, it's my understanding that wine during that time was different in that it was more or less fermented grapes/grape juice and not processed with additives and such like wine is today to increase the buzz factor. I also understand that water back then was quite contaminated. Drinking water was the same water that the donkey bathed in. :( So wine was THE beverage of choice back then.

:) I was waiting on someone to say that, and I say hey if you can turn water into wine then you get to drink it!

Seriously though, it's my understanding that wine during that time was different in that it was more or less fermented grapes/grape juice and not processed with additives and such like wine is today to increase the buzz factor. I also understand that water back then was quite contaminated. Drinking water was the same water that the donkey bathed in. :( So wine was THE beverage of choice back then.
I've heard that too. But if wine wasn't really alcoholic in those times, then there would be no need for the repeated warnings about drinking too much wine. Drunkeness wouldn't have been an issue if the wine wasn't strong enough to get a person drunk.
Personally, I don't drink. But from what I hear good wine is simply fermented grapes/grape juice that's been aged a REALLY long time. The stuff is all natural but still alcoholic.

I've heard that too. But if wine wasn't really alcoholic in those times, then there would be no need for the repeated warnings about drinking too much wine. Drunkeness wouldn't have been an issue if the wine wasn't strong enough to get a person drunk.
Personally, I don't drink. But from what I hear good wine is simply fermented grapes/grape juice that's been aged a REALLY long time. The stuff is all natural but still alcoholic.

I am no expert on this, but those are good points.

I think we have had a "do you drink" thread. I'll see if I can bump it.

I don't see any Biblical basis for not drinking alcohol. There are warnings against overindulging, but that's not what we're talking about. I think that often times people say that we are in the world, not of the world, and then try to use the world's standards for what a Christian should be. Where in the Bible does it say that Christians shouldn't consume alcohol at all? Not drinking because in the mind of some worldly people Christians shouldn't drink makes no sense. ETA: The Christians shouldn't drink mentality is very much an American thing. In other countries people aren't nearly so uptight about it.

Last edited:
I don't see any Biblical basis for not drinking alcohol. There are warnings against overindulging, but that's not what we're talking about. I think that often times people say that we are in the world, not of the world, and then try to use the world's standards for what a Christian should be. Where in the Bible does it say that Christians shouldn't consume alcohol at all? Not drinking because in the mind of some worldly people Christians shouldn't drink makes no sense. ETA: The Christians shouldn't drink mentality is very much an American thing. In other countries people aren't nearly so uptight about it.

I just want to point out that just because the Bible doesn't say something word for word or directly doesn't mean it's okay for a Believer to take part in it. The Bible doesn't say no clubbing, no shacking, no a whole bunch of other things.

I just want to point out that just because the Bible doesn't say something word for word or directly doesn't mean it's okay for a Believer to take part in it. The Bible doesn't say no clubbing, no shacking, no a whole bunch of other things.

I realize this. The Bible doesn't say anything about clubbing because going to a club and dancing isn't a sin. It does speak about fornication and fleeing temptation so obviously living with someone that you want to have sex with but aren't married to is a bad idea.

But not only does the Bible not forbid the drinking of alcohol, it actually speaks of it in a positive way in several scriptures. It's interesting to me how people take actions that they disapprove of personally and claim that they have something to do with Christianity. If we are going to prohibit things that the Bible doesn't speak of then why stop at wine. Why not soda because of the caffeine and kool aid because of the sugar?

I realize this. The Bible doesn't say anything about clubbing because going to a club and dancing isn't a sin. It does speak about fornication and fleeing temptation so obviously living with someone that you want to have sex with but aren't married to is a bad idea.

But not only does the Bible not forbid the drinking of alcohol, it actually speaks of it in a positive way in several scriptures. It's interesting to me how people take actions that they disapprove of personally and claim that they have something to do with Christianity. If we are going to prohibit things that the Bible doesn't speak of then why stop at wine. Why not soda because of the caffeine and kool aid because of the sugar?

Really? So if you saw Jesus (or even your pastor) at da club drinking a beer, it would be no big deal, huh?

Really? So if you saw Jesus (or even your pastor) at da club drinking a beer, it would be no big deal, huh?

I'd be surprised because my pastor and Jesus are both a little old to be in the club. :lachen: Jesus did drink alcohol though. But there is no Biblical reason that a Christian should abstain from alcohol and dancing. I think that if Christians were less uptight and judgmental (and I mean looking down your nose at people judgmental, not the other kind) then a lot more people would want to be Christians. Maybe they'd realize that fun doesn't come to an end when you put God first in your life. One person may choose to drink (or wear a diamond earring) and another person may choose not to drink but both choices are fine and neither choice is more Christian than the other.

Back