Which is Better: A Press or A Perm

• Press

Votes: 65 63.7%
  • Perm

Votes: 37 36.3%

• Total voters

Shinka

Which is the lesser of the two evils?

We all know that hair in any version that's well taken care will thrive. However. we are also taught that heat and chemicals have a higher chance of damaging hair.

Natural hair is the ideal, but if you like straight styles which is the lesser of the two evils:

A Press or A Perm?

For me it's a relaxer. I love my hair straight and I sweat to much in my head for anyone's hot comb!

Last edited:
I've seen my friends hair thrive and grow longer with regular pressing than with a relaxer. I think the relaxer makes it easier if the person is self-styling, however.

I think it depends on the person and her overall haircare practices. However, for me, I would have to say "Perm," mainly because I'm texlaxed and never use direct heat.

depends on your hair type and lifestyle i guess. my hair is all about shrinkage and reversion, if i wanted to wear straight hair all the time i'd go back to relaxing. some women are better off pressing, they can keep their thickness and fullness, or chems don't work well for their hair, etc.

Tough question. Recently, I had to shave my hair off due to some major damage from some hard presses from my hairdresser. Honestly, I did not think that my hair was damaged until I washed it and saw that the curls had been burnt out. When she pressed it, there was not a burnt smell but once I washed my hair the smell made me cry. I do feel that both can be evil but if a person has healthy hair practices then either one will work for them. I am still learning though :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I just realized you are in Miami. Being a former Miamian, your best bet for consistently wearing straight hair just may be a relaxer. lol That tropical humidity is no joke.

I've done both and I'd rather wear a relaxer. When I wore a press, I'd always have to worry about sweating it out plus all the heat to straighten it gave me splits GALORE. Plus after a while, I couldnt wear a fro because of I got soem straight ends from pressing.

Right now I'm texlaxed and I'd have to say that getting a relaxer would be the better choice if you're committed to wearing your hair straight for such a long period of time.

I'm in that same boat, and I'm quite peeved that my roots have reverted already (10 weeks post) from sweating. I have come to realize that I have no intentions of giving up the relaxer anytime soon. I want to wear my hair straight without reversion! :spinning:

Right now I'm texlaxed and I'd have to say that getting a relaxer would be the better choice if you're committed to wearing your hair straight for such a long period of time.

I'm in that same boat, and I'm quite peeved that my roots have reverted already (10 weeks post) from sweating. I have come to realize that I have no intentions of giving up the relaxer anytime soon. I want to wear my hair straight without reversion! :spinning:

You hair is so pretty.

I think it varies from person to person. For me I would have to go with perm b/c I would sweat a press out within 2 days due to heat and my lifestyle.

Pressing my natural hair works for me. I decided a decade ago that I no longer wanted harsh chemicals near my scalp, but I like my hair straight. So I learned how to care for my hair and press it on a regular basis. It's very easy for me to maintain my hair pressed because:
1. I live in a dry climate
2. I take very good care of my hair
3. I only apply heat twice a month
4. I keep my body healthy therefore my hair keeps up with the body
5. And I don't try and compete with mother nature. When the weather gets humid, I wear my natural hair in its natural state.

Pressing my natural hair works for me. I decided a decade ago that I no longer wanted harsh chemicals near my scalp, but I like my hair straight. So I learned how to care for my hair and press it on a regular basis. It's very easy for me to maintain my hair pressed because:
1. I live in a dry climate
2. I take very good care of my hair
3. I only apply heat twice a month
4. I keep my body healthy therefore my hair keeps up with the body
5. And I don't try and compete with mother nature. When the weather gets humid, I wear my natural hair in its natural state.

You and LuMyBigHair may be right in that press hair wouldn't been too "happening" in Miami, Florida due to the humidity here.

I permed my hair for years because at the time, my hair would always eventually break after relaxing. I just didn't know how to take care of my relaxed hair. But after a while, I just couldn't take the pressing anymore. If you like straight hair, it's better to perm it; it was just too much work pressing that hair.

And I like my hair straight. I was heated that everytime I washed my face, and my edges shrunk back! :wallbash:

I'd rather be pressed any day. The natural allows for me to do my hair any way I want to. With a relaxer there's no turning back except for the BC!

A PRESS all day, every day, hands DOWN.

I've been natural about 5 years and spent the majority of that time as a straightened natural. You have to have the right heat protectants and be sure not to fight with mother nature if its gonna be humid then wear your hair in a natural style and give it breaks.

When you're natural you have more thickness resilience and strength. It also has this distinct bounce and swang to it when its straightened that you just can't get when you're permed. When mild humidity hits my flat ironed hair it gets more body, when any kinda humidity hit my permed hair it just dropped and got limp and lifeless.

I'm taking it easy for these last 2 inches till midback no heat, low manipulation....but once I reach my goal....I'll be right back to being a straightened natural I'll just be sure to give it more breaks this time around:yep:

I hated the hot comb as a child so the idea of doing that on a regular basis makes me nervous. I'd rather just stick with relaxers and not use direct heat.

I've done both and I'd rather wear a relaxer. When I wore a press, I'd always have to worry about sweating it out plus all the heat to straighten it gave me splits GALORE. Plus after a while, I couldnt wear a fro because of I got soem straight ends from pressing.

ita, maybe a relaxer is the lesser of 2 evils.

when i pressed my natural hair every week, I'd have lots of split ends and my hair always smelled burned to me (though no one else thought so).

now that my hair is relaxed, I dont have to use direct heat and it's retaining much more length, and seems healthier as well, it is definitely not as dry.

A relaxer. If the person knows how to care for their hair then a relaxer would be the better option. Constantly applying heat to hair can be drying and damaging. Perming can give a person straight styles without constant heat and the hair can still be healthy and thriving. Not that it can't thrive and be healthy with pressing but regular heat isn't good for hair.

^^^Absolutely, there are so many relaxed hair ladies on this forum that attest to that food for thought that, you can have healthy, long relaxed hair - just as long as you can nurture it. I know if I was natural I would want to straighten it all the time and I know my hair wouldn't be able to withstand that; I'd get too many split ends and breakage. As it is now I would only use direct heat maybe once or twice a year, subsequently I don't seem to get any problems with split ends.

I just realized you are in Miami. Being a former Miamian, your best bet for consistently wearing straight hair just may be a relaxer. lol That tropical humidity is no joke.

So True

OMG in MIA, pressing is a waist of time.

I know this wasn't an option, but weaves/wigs/LF are less permanent.

I voted relaxed. I like wearing my hair straight. As a natural, that would mean constant hot combing and the potential for heat damage scares me.

just thinking about getting my hair pressed gives me flashbacks of my very tender headed 8 year old self sitting at the hair dresser chair with MBL thick hair fighting the tears ang getting my hair pressed. I would love to be natural but i just can't do it... i still dont like other people combing my hair :nono:

I am sooooo glad I found LHCF!!!!

I voted pressed. Mostly because I had a forced BC due to trying to relax my own hair and going bald in the back. I was traumatized seeing my hair fall out. I tried to shampoo it immediately to stop the rest of my hair from falling, but it was too late. I went to the salon and got a boy cut. :( I swore off the relaxer since! I know this was mostly my fault being a teenager and inexperienced, but even when I got my hair relaxed at a salon, I was always left with burnt spots on my scalp.

I only flat-iron my hair (does "pressed" mean the same thing?) once a month now and it's growing with only the problem of having to dust every now and then. I can live with that though.

I've never used a pressing comb but I'd rather use a flatiron than a relaxer. I'm texlaxed now and I cannot get my hair straight without using direct heat. I could relax bone straight but my hair would be too fragile and plus I love big hair! So I figure I might as well go natural because for me heat and chemicals equals less hair.

Back