Prepping for a relaxer

NappFrizz83

my hair is natural right now but i may be relaxing soon. I went natural when i was 15 y.o. and my main purpose was to grow my hair out as healthy as possible then relax. thats it there was no sentimental reasons or anything just to get long healthy hair. At this point i feel like these knots and what-nots are hindering my growth. my third year being natural just started and it may be time. so....

What relaxer do you use? (lye or no-lye)

How do you maintain your hair during the week? (wraps/rollersets ect)

How often do you relax?

How should i prep my virgin hair?

I use Hawaiian Silky, Lye relaxer. it's the best relaxer i've used to date. doesn't smell too "relaxer-y", has a thick, non-drippy consistency, processes thoroughly each time, and is EXTREMELY gentle on my scalp. silk elements, mizani, and even ORS olive oil lye relaxers all burned me, and i consider myself to be tough-scalpped :perplexed:

i wash my hair three times a week. on sunday, i'll deep condition, shampoo, and re-condition; and set it on flexi rods. tuesday, i'll deep condition, cowash, and set on flexi rods again. thursday, i'll deep condition, use a shampoo bar (or non-sulfate shampoo), condition again and blow-dry my hair straight for the weekend.

at night, if it's straight, i'll place it gently under a bonnet, so that my ends are slightly bumped under.

How often do you relax?
my most recent relaxer was at around 8 weeks. i had SO much new growth from the MT, i wouldn't have been able to go any longer!! but usually I wait until week 10 or 11.

i say, for a virgin relaxer, consider seeing a professional stylist. the price may be fairly steep, but as long as you do a little research (check the salon review forum for any good stylists that might be in your area, or just call around!), and make sure your hair will be in good hands, it'll save you a ton of stress. the first time i self-relaxed last year, i underprocessed horribly, and had to walk around with about 3+ inches of poooooofy hair for months (until i gave myself a corrective). seeing a good stylist can save you from unnecessary poooof :lol:

I use Phytospecific Index two - so no lye

I wash with shampoo twice a week - either ojon ultrahydrating or phtyojoba and deep condition with heat. on alternate days, I co wash.

On my saturday wash, I roller set and wear my hair down for the weekend when DH and I have our date night; otherwise, I wear my hair in a bun with a little bang in front swept to the side.

I would suggest before you go to a stylist for your virgin relaxer or do it yourself that you spend a couple of two or three weeks with serious and multiple deep conditioning treatments. I mean good, rich, thick moisture in a bag under the dryer for at least 30 minutes; no dryer, at least an hour or more. Check your stands, do you need protein - go for it and then remember the deep moisture afterward. The most important lesson I have learned on my hair journey is one should NEVER underestimate the advantages of deep conditioning.

Girl, it has been a HOT minute since I've had a relaxer.
(I'm transitioning) So bear with me.

I used Mizani, Keracare and Nairobi.
Have you heard of Butter Blends? It's put out Mizani...I never got to try it but I've heard good things.

Storebought brands...I'd go with Profec-V, ORS and Elasta QP.
Although you may like these....Dark n Lovely is pure fire-cream crap, imo.
Motions, too(the relaxer, not the line). Y'know the deal, chemists were changed, chemicals were strengthened....the solution is too darn harsh.

I use No-Lye. Although I've heard that Lye is more moisturizing. The PH is higher though I think.

Well--black hair is dry and relaxing tends to just make it drier as far as my head is concerned.
So...I try to maintain moisture levels and keep the heat out.
I wash at least 1-3 times a week or more and wrap my hair.
Heatstyle once a weak.
I stayed in rollersets and wraps.

My relaxed hair can't take heat. My natural hair can...for some odd reason.

How often do you relax?
I relax maybe 3-4 times a year.
You don't want to relax so often or so soon that you overlap. That will weaken the hair and cause breakage.

The relaxing process does weaken the hair, so to speak. So it's good to do a protein treatment before the process. 1-2 weeks before you relax, normally.

When I was relaxing I'd got into the habit of applying the protein treatment in between the rinsing of the relaxer and the neutralizer step.
The water brings the PH down, but you still have to be quick. You put the protein treatment in for 1-2 minutes, rinse and continue with the neutralizer.

Remember to let the neutralizer sit on your head for a few minutes. Just to be sure that all the relaxer is out of your head.

Also-I've found that putting a little oil (jojoba, olive, coconut, etc) into the relaxer helps. A little extra conditioning.
Not too much oil or it may underprocess...unless that's what you want.
...and in the future, be sure to coat your relaxed hair with oil or vaseline. This will prevent overlapping and relaxer run-off during the rinse.

I do a good moisturizing treatment after I wash the neutralizer out. Sometimes I DC overnight...but to be honest, I can take moisture like that. I'm moisture-deficient.

Here's some more info:

How to Prep Hair for Chemical Relaxers.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html?cat=69

How to Safely apply chemical relaxers.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/ar...safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html?cat=69

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi,

you are going to want to apply a base to your forehead around the ears, and the neck to protect your skin from the relaxer, let that sit for like 15 minutes.

then if you want you can section your hair in 4 parts (i do 2 top of my head bottom of my head)

http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/sum4207.html

this is the base i use most bss carry it.

before you relax of course try not to scratch your scalp, i still brush my hair and I have never had any issues with burns.

make sure you don't wash your hair and then relax a couple of days later.

I use no lye, i've tried lye don't really see a difference.

I apply my relaxers with my fingers, you can use gloves, i don't.

so this should be close to your prepping process:
1. no shampooing before relaxer, leave at least a week
2. no scratching your scalp or rough brushing combing
3. if a person has braids leave a week or two for hair to be out of braided style.
4. use a base it really does protect your skin from the relaxer and helps prevent burns on the skin.

these are just some things i try to stick to, and i've seen done in salons for years.

I use Hawaiian Silky, Lye relaxer. it's the best relaxer i've used to date. doesn't smell too "relaxer-y", has a thick, non-drippy consistency, processes thoroughly each time, and is EXTREMELY gentle on my scalp. silk elements, mizani, and even ORS olive oil lye relaxers all burned me, and i consider myself to be tough-scalpped :perplexed:

I don't have much advice because I am still figuring out my routine and such as I just relaxed after being natural almost 2 1/2 years. But I just wanted to comment that I just used the Hawaiian Silky Lye relaxer tonight and it processed really beautifully. I added some olive oil to it.

Hi,

you are going to want to apply a base to your forehead around the ears, and the neck to protect your skin from the relaxer, let that sit for like 15 minutes.

then if you want you can section your hair in 4 parts (i do 2 top of my head bottom of my head)

http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/sum4207.html

this is the base i use most bss carry it.

before you relax of course try not to scratch your scalp, i still brush my hair and I have never had any issues with burns.

make sure you don't wash your hair and then relax a couple of days later.

I use no lye, i've tried lye don't really see a difference.

I apply my relaxers with my fingers, you can use gloves, i don't.

so this should be close to your prepping process:
1. no shampooing before relaxer, leave at least a week
2. no scratching your scalp or rough brushing combing
3. if a person has braids leave a week or two for hair to be out of braided style.
4. use a base it really does protect your skin from the relaxer and helps prevent burns on the skin.

these are just some things i try to stick to, and i've seen done in salons for years.

thanks for sharing this. I am going to check to see if the bss I frequent sells this one.

great thread.

When I return to the states, I want to get a virgin relaxer. I am thinking of going to JCP.. I think they use Mizani.

Back