PREPOOERS come in???

blackberry815

Ok... So I've been going through some people's regimens and I'm wondering... Why is it that some folks prepoo with oil and some folks prepoo with conditioner? What difference does it make in the hair? Should you prepoo with oil or should you prepoo with conditioner? How do you know which one you need? And if you prepoo. with conditioner does this now mean you don't need to deep condition?

I'm not sure, but I'll take a stab at it.

I think pre-pooing with conditioner is more of a deep conditioning treatment. It usually contains water and softens/moisturizes the hair before shampooing it. But when pre-pooing with oils (which I do) its more of a treatment that fortifies and strengthens the hair strand in order to protect it from shampooing. I use coconut and castor oil to prepoo because of the nutrients it provides and the coating that protects from shampoo, but not to moisturize it. I still DC after shampooing and that adds the conditioning moisture.

Both methods are used to protect the hair from shampooing.

Last edited:
I use conditioner because it's the only way I can comb my hair. I have to detangle before shampooing or my hair is a mess. I do add oil to the condish sometimes.

Yea I def use conditioner as well... It aids in the detangling process and softens while moisturizing.

Every time I've tried to use oils in my washing regimen I ended up with more tangling and difficulties... Not sure why though!

I prepoo with heavy oils, because when I don't my hair tends to feel stripped. Unless of course I'm using my beloved Cremé of Nature.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

When I was pre-pooing regularly it was for completely different reasons than most. I was doing it to keep my protein and moisture balance in check. One week I would pre-poo with a protein conditioner and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. The next week I would switch it around. Now when I pre-poo it's because I don't feel like deep conditioning and I use oil or conditioner they both have similar effects to me.

When I was pre-pooing regularly it was for completely different reasons than most. I was doing it to keep my protein and moisture balance in check. One week I would pre-poo with a protein conditioner and deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. The next week I would switch it around. Now when I pre-poo it's because I don't feel like deep conditioning and I use oil or conditioner they both have similar effects to me.
I like the moisture/protein balance approach that you once did. How long did you pre-poo while doing this method. Did you shampoo with a moisturizing poo no matter what pre-poo (moisture or protein) used?

Pre-pooing with oil makes your hair lose less protein. Everytime you wash your hair protein in the strand is decreased, that protein being keratin, making the hair strand more weak. That and shampooing can actually strip the oils from your hair depending on what shampoo you are using. Oil helps negate that.

best pre-poo ever: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...09482-you-need-moisture-drenched-pre-poo.html

And Knaughtykurls, that is the reason I'm thinking of giving up shampoos altogether and just co-wash. Maybe shampoo once in a blue moon when scalp needs it

Natural/organic shampoos that have oils in it and don't contain any chemicals should do you well if you are not the co-wash type. The only shampoo I use are Chagrin Valley's shampoo bars. Coco Betaine shampoos are a good alternative to SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) shampoos since sls is more harsh and strips more, but coco betaine still strips, even if it is little. I would suggest using ayurvedic powders like amla/shikakai or a poo bar if you don't want to give up shampoo.

I use both.
A mix of whatever oil I have on hand(evoo+ coconut, amla, or shikaki), then go over that with condish. I dont know how I arrived at that concoction, I just read a few things, tried it, and liked the results.
Oh! MoptopMaven!
I remember watching this when I was looking for a pre-poo technique...
YouTube - Quick Tip #2 My Pre Poo Regimen

I pre-poo every week with Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Strawberry Conditioner, then I shampoo and DC. For me, pre-pooing softens, detangles, and adds lots of moisture to my hair before shampooing (it really comes in handy when I'm preparing to wash after an old braid out style).

I pre-poo with aloe vera juice and oils to add moisture prior to shampooing and to lose less protein. I do not use conditioner since I finger detangle and I use a deep conditioner.

you can pre-pooo with whatever you want i mix conditioner and oil with aloe vera or even mix in mayo or molasses......i use whatever is around the house.

When I prepoo I use oil (amla to be exact) and I detangle my oil-saturated hair with a paddle brush. This technique seems to work well for me & I don't lose much hair. I then proceed to shampoo and deep condition.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

some DCs (like aubrey organics) say for deep conditioning apply to dry hair, then shampoo, so i do that sometimes...also the olive oil and honey DC i would do before shampooing, and it would serve as a prepoo too...mostly i use oils (olive, coconut, vatika), but sometimes i mix the oils with condishes that i dont really like or dont do enough for me for cowashing or DCing alone and use that as a prepoo.

I prepoo with vatika oil because it makes my hair nice and slippery for finger detangling...and my shed hairs just slide right out...

I have used both. I prepoo with oil and baggy because the mixture of oil and water causes my curls to separate by themselves and softens my hair enough to detangle. I like to do that overnight to give it enough time to work in. I then follow that with conditioners to give it enough slip to then detangle. For me conditioner by itself is not enough, I would have to use almost an entire bottle to detangle my hair. The oil and water does 90% of the work and then the conditioner just helps with keeping it wet enough to detangle.

I am only leaving the conditioner on long enough to detangle. So even if I detangle with conditioner I deep condition. I haven't found that prepooing either with oil or conditioner adds any benefits to my hair other than detangling.

I like the moisture/protein balance approach that you once did. How long did you pre-poo while doing this method. Did you shampoo with a moisturizing poo no matter what pre-poo (moisture or protein) used?

Hi, I would pre-poo about 45 minutes to an hour sometimes not as long, but never shorter than 30 minutes. During that time I was using Joico K-pac Shampoo so I guess that would be considered a light protein shampoo but it really doesn't matter which shampoo you use because it's not in contact with your hair that long. :yawn:

I prepoo with fruit :grin: (avocado and banana) and an egg. This is like my strengthening treatment as I don't use protein conditioners.

Wow ladies.... So I have tangling issues so I'm thinking I should probably prepoo with a conditioner...do you just apply it to dry hair? Will the hair absorb the conditioner this way or do you wet it a little first? Could I use my steamer to prepoo? And also do you only prepoo before washing your hair with shampoo? Do any of you prepoo before co-washing? Or is this just something for shampooing? Thanks ladies sorry for all the questions..

Hi, I would pre-poo about 45 minutes to an hour sometimes not as long, but never shorter than 30 minutes. During that time I was using Joico K-pac Shampoo so I guess that would be considered a light protein shampoo but it really doesn't matter which shampoo you use because it's not in contact with your hair that long. :yawn:

I want to try this but do you feel like ur just washing all the protein you just put in out? Do youput a plastic cap over ur head? Do you wet the hair?

Wow ladies.... So I have tangling issues so I'm thinking I should probably prepoo with a conditioner...do you just apply it to dry hair? Will the hair absorb the conditioner this way or do you wet it a little first? Could I use my steamer to prepoo? And also do you only prepoo before washing your hair with shampoo? Do any of you prepoo before co-washing? Or is this just something for shampooing? Thanks ladies sorry for all the questions..

I pre-poo on dry hair with a very moisturizing cheapie conditioner (with a plastic cap for about 2hrs). I pre-poo before shampooing and before co-washing.

Back