PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Help a Sista out!!!!

ThatChick

Hello Ladies

I am thinking about taking the plunge and roller setting my hair. My hair comes to about shoulder length. I was wondering what are the best products to use. For example is a hard covered hair dryer better than soft? Should I use the super JUMBO rollers to set my hair? I am looking to achieve a nice bouncy hair do that resembles a wrap. I would like it to appear wrapped just a little more curly. Would the JUMBO rollers do this or should I use smaller?

Thanks so much for your help!

Wrapping the hair will take curl almost completely out of the hair. Jumbo rollers will guarantee that your hair is mostly straight after you set and dry it.

I suggest using the purple Diane rollers on shoulder length hair and perhaps pulling your curls into a loose ponytial with a satin scrunchie (wind the scrunchie around the hair once - twice tops depending on how loose it is already from regualr use) and wearing a stain bonnet over it to sleep. This way you get the benefit of the rollerset but retain some curl.

If by "curl at the ends" you simply mean bumped ends that are slightly turned under, then use the same purple rollers and do wrap the hair after you are done. Your ends will stay bumped and the roller size will ensure you retain some body in the hair. Jumbo rollers should only be used if your hair is very long and/or you want the finished result after wrapping to be pretty straight. My hair is about 4 inches past shoulder length (maybe a little less - 3?) and I still use purple rollers on my front layers - many of which touch my shoulders.

HTH

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Tracy said:
Wrapping the hair will take curl almost completely out of the hair. Jumbo rollers will guarantee that your hair is mostly straight after you set and dry it.

I suggest using the purple Diane rollers on shoulder length hair and perhaps pulling your curls into a loose ponytial with a satin scrunchie (wind the scrunchie around the hair once - twice tops depending on how loose it is already from regualr use) and wearing a stain bonnet over it to sleep. This way you get the benefit of the rollerset but retain some curl.

If by "curl at the ends" you simply mean bumped ends that are slightly turned under, then use the same purple rollers and do wrap the hair after you are done. Your ends will stay bumped and the roller size will ensure you retain some body in the hair. Jumbo rollers should only be used if your hair is very long and/or you want the finished result after wrapping to be pretty straight. My hair is about 4 inches past shoulder length (maybe a little less - 3?) and I still use purple rollers on my front layers - many of which touch my shoulders.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracey,

Thanks so much for your response. You are correct. I am looking for a wrapped style just bumped at the ends (not straight). I will definitely try the Diane purple rollers. I am making my list so that I will know what to purchase today. Also, do you generally use a hard top hair dryer or the soft one? Im not sure if it will matter. Thanks for the tip about the silk bonnet also, I never thought about using that so I can keep my curl. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi ThatChick,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't worry about not finding an answer on a search. Many topics get discussed on the board more than once. If for some reason you can't find the answer, most of the ladies here will not have a problem answering your question again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck!

I agree with Tracey about the roller size and how to achieve a 'wrapped' look. As far as dryers, that's up to you ...eveyone has their preference. I like soft bonnets because I can relax(or even nap)...and I'm too lazey to sit up straight under a hard bonnet. I only use the older dryers(normally GE...there are plenty on Ebay) because the newer ones don't circulate enough air(not a high enough wattage) for me. As far as if I had to choose between some of the newer But if I had to choose between a new
soft bonnet and a hard bonnet, I'd go to with the hard
bonnet for quicker drying.
Setting lotions vary between ladies. Some like leave-ins others like lotions, I use a cream(Lottabody Creme for wrapping and setting). You have to do a lot of research(and maybe try different products) to find what works for you.

Back