Please, I need your input...Permanent or Semi permanent after henna

la flaca

I was doing some research about Henna and couldn't fine any info about dying the hair after Henna. I love the natural dye I can get from henna but I love the semi permanents or pemanent colors without red in it so, I was wondering if any of you have use a dye after henna. As we all know Henna is like a tattoo to the hair. I love the benefits of Henna but I would like to see (if pixs available) or know the results of hair dye after being using Henna.
Do you think it will only affect the result of the color or it will not color the hair at all?

Please, give me your inputs...Thanks :yep:

You should definitely NOT do a permanent color. From what I know the henna and chemical dye does not mix and the combo can be damaging to your hair.

rinygirl6 said:
You should definitely NOT do a permanent color. From what I know the henna and chemical dye does not mix and the combo can be damaging to your hair.

I think that's compound henna? or you mean henna in general:confused:

Bumping for myself and for La Flaca as well. The Indigo gave me black but that black is already fading. I want the blackest black and wondering if I could use Bigen Blue Black...

:) Aww ur not alone La flaca and Serenity...lol......I used henna on my hair but stopped cuz it made my hair real dry ..I died it jet black using Feria Black Leather like 2 months after i henna'ed cuz i i got tired of 2 tone previously died hair..in my fotki the Jan pic is when i stopped using henna and i died my hair in March pics....HTH

MissMadaam said:
:) Aww ur not alone La flaca and Serenity...lol......I used henna on my hair but stopped cuz it made my hair real dry ..I died it jet black using Feria Black Leather like 2 months after i henna'ed cuz i i got tired of 2 tone previously died hair..in my fotki the Jan pic is when i stopped using henna and i died my hair in March pics....HTH

Thank you so much, my beautiful fellow Marylander! Your hair is gorgeous and I hope you reach BSL by your expected date. I think I'll try the Feria if not the Bigen Bluest Black or Oriental Black. I just hate buying two boxes of that stuff cuz one is not enough... ;)

I've henna-ed twice since the beginning of the year and I loved the color and the strength it gave my hair, but now that it's nearing summertime, I've started wanting dark hair. Last week after my touch-up, I had my Nana (my life-long beautician) apply Clairol Beautiful Browns to my hair in the darkest black shade they offered (semi-permanent) and a week and a half before that I had used Clairol Loving Care (I think 5-7 washes) in Neutral Black. So far so good; no breakage or dryness. I have, however, noticed that my hair still reflects red tones in the sun. Maybe the henna kept the color from taking well...

I don't know how hair would react to a permanent color over henna though...

Serenity_Peace said:
Thank you so much, my beautiful fellow Marylander! Your hair is gorgeous and I hope you reach BSL by your expected date. I think I'll try the Feria if not the Bigen Bluest Black or Oriental Black. I just hate buying two boxes of that stuff cuz one is not enough... ;)

Aww ur so sweet:) Thank u my Marylander sista :D ..I hope I do and I hope U reach ur goal then too....just be careful cuz Feria has amonia and peroxide I belive so make sure ur hair is strong the only reason I use that is because I had highlights that were bleached and I wanted my hair just one color after awhile but the non amonia/peroxide ones didnt give me that solid color the bleached parts were lighter...so I went with Feria...Maybe try the Bigen to be on the safe side and see how that is

Last edited:
I've done Demi Permanent colors after henna/cassia.

I do believe that IF you're using henna, just make sure its the Body Art Quality stuff. The other stuff I'm not sure about.

Using a demi didn't cause any damage after the henna/cassia mixup I had. I personally didn't like the red hair I got from henna (I look better with dark brown hair anyway)

I even used cassia a few weeks after and still no problems.

So based on my own personal experience I would say it could be done, you just have to use care and know what you put in your hair.

-A

Yes it's possible. I was getting tired of the reddish brown look so 2 weeks ago I used did a Jet black semipermanent color from the clairol beautiful collection on top of hair that has been previously henna'd many times over the past few yrs. My hair has suffered absolutely no side effects. Like others have said as long as the henna you used is body art quality and contains no mettalic salts or weird additives, using traditional color on top should cause no probs.

I am never using any kinda hair dye unless my hair become really really gray and i dont hair one single gray hair on my head.
back in the day i used SEMI-PERMANENT but it still has my ends gray its been a long time since i used any kind ,not using any.

I've been using henna but really want to use Bigen Blue Black on my hair after my next touchup since I'm really not digging my off black hair and I'm anal retentive about my hair color.
I'm also most definately doing more research on the board about the haircolor itself. Although Lush henna is technically compound henna, it's not supposed to have any metallic compounds or salts in it. Still, it's pretty much a given that I'll be doing a strand test to decide if I'm going to make the leap.

I henna my hair AND have permanent colour. I henna my hair about every 4-6 weeks and have my hair coloured a light brown with Clairol Textures & Tones - Since I wash or CW my hair at least twice a week the henna pretty much washes out and my hair did not have any problem taking the colour. I actually thought I would have reddish tints but that's not been the case (maybe because I mix my henna with coffee to tone down the red) HTH

Back