Please Help

toya81

Hi my hair is thinning out and I dont know what to do the its like it just keep getting thin by the end of the year i will be left with one strand it so sadden. I was wonder could it be the lye relaxer i have been using would putting mtg on my ends help I dont know what to do any suggestions would be truly appreciated. Thank you.

I can't really tell you much without knowing your regimen, but it could very well be the relaxer. Many of the natural ladies here including myself went natural because of thinning hair. Maybe relaxing doesn't agree with your hair type or it could be from relaxing to often or it could be from overlapping. Many of the relaxed ladies here have found success when they stretched their touch-ups and limited heat.
How often do you get touch-ups? How often do you use heat? Do you wash and deep condition weekly? What products do you use? How do you style your hair daily? Please tell us more detail so some of the other ladies can chime in and help.

For now I would recommend to stop relaxing. Also see a doctor to find out if anything internal is going on.

I went natural because of thinning. Another reason was the natural hairstyles. I get my hair pressed weekly so it's still like I have a relaxer. Now my hair looks thicker.

Whats your regimen?

My hair is also very thin/fine. I agree that going natural can help. If you don't want to go natural, consider stretching your relaxers. When you do relax don't relax your hair bone straight, leave some texture in. And, never overlap the relaxer by putting it on hair that has been relaxed before or running it all the way through your hair.

I found that what helped to lessen the thinning was MTG on scalp only, vitamins including MSM and biotin, and hair loss shampoos. Also, I tried putting MTG on my hair but over time it made the ends of my hair very dry.

If you hair is thinning from the scalp, you should see your doctor as it could be from a vitamin deficiency or thyroid problems or stress or something else that you need to check with your doctor. If it is thinning out because it is breaking off or from rough brushing and combing then changing how you care for it will probably solve the problem.

You should stretch your relaxers and go see a dermatologist to make sure your not developing one of the various forms of alopecia. Many African- Americans suffer from this but don't want to acknowlege until it is too late. If you find out early, there are more treatments available then if you wait to the point that the hair loss becomes permanent.

toya81 said:
Hi my hair is thinning out and I dont know what to do the its like it just keep getting thin by the end of the year i will be left with one strand it so sadden. I was wonder could it be the lye relaxer i have been using would putting mtg on my ends help I dont know what to do any suggestions would be truly appreciated. Thank you.

How often are you using heat? Do you have permanent color? What type of relaxer are you using? How often are you relaxing? You have to let us know these things before we can help you.

Contrary to popular belief going natural isn't nec. the right answer. It wouldn't make any sense to go natural and your only problem was unhealthy hair practices. Then your natural hair would be thinning/breaking too. You have to take care of your hair relaxed or natural. First help us identify the problem.

I relax my hair every 2 months i only use heat for the roller set and i deep condition every week and wash every week. I keep my ends moisturized its my hair ends that is thinning out maybe i should stretch my touch up. thank you for all your advice. oh yeah and i use mtg

Back