Please help me learn to flat iron right!

Sweetyb

My lil sis has shoulder-length relaxed hair with some new growth. I've kept it in braids for some months now and her hair actually "grazes" the bottom of her neck for the 1st time in years. So I decided to flat iron her hair for the 1st time as a treat.

* 1st off, I wasn't sure how to choose a flat iron--I heard ceramics are good? Or is it "Chi"? I decided to buy some ceramic flat iron (Vidal Sasson, $29 @ Savons) to do her hair.

* 2nd off, I wasn't sure what to put in her hair for the press. I bought John Freida's Step 4 (Smooth Straight?) and Step 5 (Secret Weapon).

* lastly, I discovered that setting #10-15 pressed her hair real well, giving it a very sleek shine, but not that "burnt-smell" kinda straight.

Her hair was movin and all and lookin good, when 30 min goes by and her hair was back to lookin like it looked after I blow dried it! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif I felt bad cause she had to go to school lookin like that. What went wrong??

*please*... any suggestions at all? I know we have some flatironers here /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is what I do. After I wash my hair I air dry or blowdry. I have a chi ceramic but i suppose your's is fine. the main thing is to use very good products on her hair. I use phyto hair products and I do not get any frizz. I don't use any oils or anything and my hair is always swinging, bouncy, and frizz free. What products are you using? Another thing that may be very helpful is using a setting lotion. I used to swear by lottabody (purple concentrated liquid) it worked wonders for helping me resist frizz. Do you know how to use a flat iron at all or was this a first attempt? When flat ironing it is all in the wrist. Start flatining with section no wider than about an inch. Also, I suggust starting at the root and sliding down the under for a nice curl. You may want to invest in a nicer iron for her hair. If it frizzed then that iron is most likely not truly ceramic. I hope this helped some.

Thanks so much for your suggestion. This was my 1st attempt at flat ironing. I realized I should use smaller sections of hair and also a higher heat half way through. I used the John Frieda Smooth Down (?) white creme before blow drying, and rubbed his Secret Weapon Finishing creme into the hair before flat ironing (couldn't think of whatelse to use). I then rubbed NTM Serum over the finished hair.

I have lottabody--when do you spray it, before blowdrying or flat ironing?

Also, even though the hair was nicely pressed and shiny and all as I was doing it, but fluffed up later, could it still be the iron? I'll experiment though.

And i've always wanted to ask this: What's a Chi? I guess I guess I should definitely experiment with products first, and then maybe think about getting another flat iron.

You should definately put the setting lotion on before blow drying. Is your neiced relaxed or natural? I think you said relaxed but I'm not sure. I think you'll get the hang of it. Practice makes perfect. To answer your question a chi is a ceramic iron. It is used in most salons and they cost about $120.00. They are worth the investment though. You might want to wash her hair apply the serum and setting lotin then blowdry and nix the other stuff. The products could be the culprit.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll definitely try the setting lotion and serum b/4 blow drying. I'll also be searching this site for some more tips.
I may give it another shot tomorrow =)

( Here's info on the Vidal Sassoon flat iron I bought (click here) They say they use ceramic technology... I just may need to do a search in the forum for ceramic irons.)

Sweetyb,

If you don't want to spend a lot you can get a Jilbere Ceramic Flat Iron from Sally's for about $40. I would recommend the 1" with the temperature dial.

Thanks Pretty and cutebajangirl for the suggestions. I went to Sally's and saw the Jibere with the velcro on it? I think that's the one some members were complaining about. But $40 is a pretty good price.

I used the flat iron again yesterday on her hair and I must say I did a much better job. /images/graemlins/clap.gif Not only did I give her a hot oil treatment and protein conditioner, but I moisturized her hair well with leave in and serum and spritzed very lightly with lottabody before blow drying, and rubbed in this shea butter oil I have into her hair (a few drops on each of 4 large sections of hair), concentrating on her new growth. Her hair pressed with a lot of shine and was a lot sleeker this time around. This morning, I rubbed a few drops of serum and a dot of Secret Weapon through her hair and she was red-to-go. But after pressing twice now, I now see how good a "1 might be, compared to 2"+... I'll be able to concentrate on the new growth and control the heat I apply after the 'demarcation' line.

Thanks ladies!

Thank you for that link =) I think a heat protectant is what she needs. I'm pressing her hair again tonight except concentrating on her 1-2" roots. I've also returned the last flat iron because it was just too big and felt it gave too much heat to her relaxed hair while clamping tightly on the new-growth. I may get the Jilberee (sp?) or something from Savons that I can return no questions asked =)

Back