Please Help Me Answer This Newbie's 5 Questions

Lady Esquire

Hey ladies! :wave: She pm'd my fotki album. I quickly answered the first three, but I am in a rush, on my way out. Then I thought... :think: let me cut & paste them here, 'cause you ladies know your stuff. :yep: Gotta go run some errands. Will be back in a few hours. Thanks in advance. Plus, I am interested about the product recommendations.

1. What is a co-wash?
It is short for a conditioner-wash. Instead of using shampoo, you wash your hair with conditioner only. Since shampoos have harsh detergents that strip the hair of its natural oils, leaving it dry, brittle and without elasticity – washing with conditioner only, adds the moisture that the hair needs. Conditioners also have detergents, so it does still clean the hair, but does not strip.

2. How often should you wash your hair per week?
It depends. Some wash daily, others wash one weekly, biweekly, or longer. You have to experiment. The trick is to wash often enough to unclog pores, prevent product build-up, and to deep-condition it as needed to keep it moisturized and strong. But not so often that you're overmanipulating the hair. The frequency that is right for you depends on your texture, technique, lifestyle, hairstyle....

3. What is the purpose of henna?
It strengthens and colors the hair. Be careful, it can be very drying. Follow your henna applications with deep-conditioning. www.hennaforhair.com has a great tutorial.

4. Are there any product recommendations?
5. What's wrong with using a brush?
6. Although my hair is course, I am not able to maintain curls. How do I achieve this?

Last edited:
4) Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker :D Kenra MC, Elasta QP Creme Conditoning poo, LTR conditioner and leave in

5) I don't think using brushes is wrong, as long as it's the RIGHT type of brush like a boar bristle or Denman. Brushing has to be done gently, you don't brush to detangle, you brush AFTER detangling, just to gently smooth out all the lumps and bumps.

6) Lots of naturals rave about the aloe juice and glycerin mix. Also Fantasia IC Sparkelites gel is said to be really good. Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker works great for my dd's natural hair :yep:

She asked YOU, not US! Lol, just joking.:lachen:I think you answered the questions very well. The only thing i would add is that henna also temporary thicken the hair also. I would suggest shampooing the hair atleast once a week followed by a deep conditioner (or atleast deep conditioning once a week).

4. Are there any product recommendations? What products do You use. What would You recommend basicly. What's Your favorite shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, etc.. And reinterate that every product not gonna work for everybody. It depends on hair type, etc...
5. What's wrong with using a brush? Do you use a brush? If not, why not? Me, personally, i just lose far more hair using a brush than using comb. No biggy the comb helps sooth my edges and get's the job done. I don't miss the brush.
6. Although my hair is course, I am not able to maintain curls. How do I achieve this? I don't know if this is a question pertaining to being natural, if so i dunno.

HTH but honestly you've done a wonder job answer her questions. Just incorporate your answer of course, there's nothing wrong with help at all.:grin:

you cheatin on me LadyE?? j/k.. well, I'm not one to answer the rest of the q's, sorry i can't be much of help.

4. Are there any product recommendations? Hard to recommend without knowing about the hair needs, regime, etc. But I recommend (particularly for those who are interested in co-washing) cheapie conditioners such as V05 and Suave. I use lots of different conditioners but these are still staples. I also love Aloe Vera Gel (I have used lots of different types -- and I use lots of it). For dc's I love ORS Replenishing Pak, Giovanni 50/50 (I use this as a moisturizer more often then dc), Elasta QP Intense and DPR-11, and Pantene Relaxed and Natural Mask (?). I also use a heating cap to dc, have lots of shower caps for treatments and sleeping (baggy), and a denman brush.
5. What's wrong with using a brush? Do you use a brush? If not, why not? Brushing (especially if done harshly) can damage and break hair. If used well it can be your best friend. I only brush my hair because my denman can really glide through my hair and doesnt stretch and catch on my hair the way a comb does. Plus I don't have to worry about looking for a seamless comb (seams cause splits in the hair). I only use my brush on wet/dry hair that has lots of conditioner in it.
6. Although my hair is course, I am not able to maintain curls. How do I achieve this? What is her regime? Does her hair curl? First of all you should never brush or comb dry hair if you want curls, if you do you will have to wet it (water, conditioner, gel) to get your curls back. Your hair will also curl better when it is properly moisturized so I would do lots and lots of dc's (I dc'd 2-3 times a week when I was starting out).
I find that if I get my hair curly when washing then it is good to go afterwards. Here are the things I do for curls: I cowash, clear my hair with my denman while the conditioner is in, rinse it out and do an oil rinse. These steps alone will give me great wash and go curls. But for even better definition and better behaving hair, I apply conditioner on sopping wet hair as my last step of washing and I do not rinse it out. I gently squeeze out the excess water and follow that up with a gel and/or oil. I only air dry and while my hair is drying I have to fight to keep my hands out of it to preserve my curls.

5) I don't think using brushes is wrong, as long as it's the RIGHT type of brush like a boar bristle or Denman. Brushing has to be done gently, you don't brush to detangle, you brush AFTER detangling, just to gently smooth out all the lumps and bumps.
Yep. What a great point! :yep:

She asked YOU, not US! Lol, just joking.:lachen:I think you answered the questions very well. The only thing i would add is that henna also temporary thicken the hair also.
:grin:

Yeah. Henna did thicken mines.

I know, I know! :blush: Girl, I was in such a rush, packing up the baby, and the phone was ringing, DHL guy at the door....I was like, ummm maybe my girls at LHCF will help. You ladies are the stuff when it comes to this.

you cheatin on me LadyE?? j/k.. well, I'm not one to answer the rest of the q's, sorry i can't be much of help.

Awww sweetie!

4. Are there any product recommendations? Hard to recommend without knowing about the hair needs, regime, etc.

5. What's wrong with using a brush? Do you use a brush? If not, why not? Brushing (especially if done harshly) can damage and break hair. If used well it can be your best friend.

6. Although my hair is course, I am not able to maintain curls. How do I achieve this? What is her regime? Does her hair curl? First of all you should never brush or comb dry hair if you want curls, if you do you will have to wet it (water, conditioner, gel) to get your curls back. Your hair will also curl better when it is properly moisturized so I would do lots and lots of dc's (I dc'd 2-3 times a week when I was starting out).
MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also recommend reading a "ULTRA BLACK HAIR GROWTH II" 2000 Edition by Cathy Howse
I started out reading Cathryn Grey's Book. Never read Howse's, even though I intended to. Did not need to when I found LHCF. Book good recommendation. Will pass on.

thank you ladies! :bighug:

Back