Philly Dominican Salons,who cares about your hair?

sparkles

Im looking for a Dominican salon that i can go into and they are not going to just abuse my hair but tell me what I need can any one help me?????

Well the one on 7th and Lehigh,most of them don't even speak english!I went the other week and tried to explain to the girl to shampoo only one time. I gave up after she clearly had no idea what I was talking about.My girlfriend told me about a dominican salon in southwest philly on Woodland ave but she said they charged her much more than the other one.

This is so weird.......

I met a girl in Philly last year while sitting in a Black beauty shop b/c she had gave up on dominican salons in philly. (she had some long natural hair and I thought she had to know about LHCF or BHM but she didn't) She told me she was fed up with the dominican stylist passing her around to different stylist each time. She said they would talk about her thick hair and did not want to do it when ever she came in. Plus she was tired of doing braiding, cornrows and twist. She felt she ran out of options for her thick long mane.

She came to the beauty shop that day where I had been sitting (my twin sis was getting her hair done for a wedding). Anywho she came in to get a relaxer and she had BSL natural long beautiful hair. I told her about LHCF and many other website she had never heard of for hair styling tips and guidance before she stepped back into relaxed hair care. She wrote them down and decided not to relax but get something for the time being.

I still think about that girl...and I wonder what she did? :blah: Sorry so chatty... your thread just made me think about that girl and share. :look:

I visited a Dominican Salon this past weekend and they were very nice and she did everything I asked her to do without a problem and the best part is that they speak english. The salon was called Maria's II it's on Broad st. near Erie right across for Checkers

I thought a Dominican salon who cares about your hair didn't exist because of the excessive manipulation and high amount of heat exposure. I always thought that would be bad for your hair in the long run.

I thought a Dominican salon who cares about your hair didn't exist because of the excessive manipulation and high amount of heat exposure. I always thought that would be bad for your hair in the long run.

The only heat she use on me was when I was under the Pibbs and she let me turn it on the same temp as I use at home. I told her I didn't want my roots blow dried and asked her could she just flat iron them she used the FHI flatiron. I usually do my own hair but it was my 30th birthday and I wanted to treat myself.

more information please!!!!
progress.gif

Well the one on 7th and Lehigh,most of them don't even speak english!I went the other week and tried to explain to the girl to shampoo only one time. I gave up after she clearly had no idea what I was talking about.My girlfriend told me about a dominican salon in southwest philly on Woodland ave but she said they charged her much more than the other one.

I went to the one on 7th and Leigh and most of them really don't speak English, they are almost always packed. I must say that my hair was done fast and looked beautiful. On the other hand the manipulation and heat was unbearable- it is also where I encountered my first setback from a scissor happy stylist.

I have also been to the one on Woodland Ave, I was refered to a girl in there who was amazing. She didn't get my hair as straight as I wanted it but I asked for a trim and she did just that. That is priceless for me. Unfortunately stylists run in and out of there like the wind and the girl who does my hair is no longer there. :( And it is very expensive. But I didn't mind because she was worth it.

They also talked about random people's hair and how they looked as they walked in, in Spanish. The stylist next to the girl who was doing my hair even talked about my hair in Spanish, and she realized that I understood. She then said, "I didn't say anything bad, God bless you with beautiful hair." I said thank you and nodded. In my head I started thinking about the number of people she must have talked about right while they were sitting there.

In conclusion, (since I have been rather lengthy, sorry) I say only go to a person you absolutely trust or have been refered to by a trusted friend. Not just in Philly but everywhere; Because you can regret walking in and sitting in one of those chairs in a hearbeat.

Back