Petrolatum and Mineral Oil

d-rock

I'm just ranting a little here. Why is it whenever hair companies make something for "ethnic" hair (hate that term by the way, but anywho) they load it up with petrolatum and mineral oil? I don't think any of these companies invest anytime really getting to understand the type curl pattern of our hair or what is really best for keeping it moisturized. It's like they just keep recycling the same recipe and slapping a different brand name on the bottle. My beef right now is with Pantene and their "Relaxed and Natural Line." I was expecting something better, but the same old ingredient list found for everything pertaining to our hair. I've read that petrolatum and mineral oil are not only bad for humans, period, but clog pores and stifle hair growth instead of stimulating it. I've given up on buying hair balms from commercial retailers since finding this site, I just make all my own stuff now and my hair is loving it. If it was so flipping easy for me and other ladies here to do this why can't these companies figure this out. Dang some consumer research wouldn't kill them.

I'm just ranting a little here. Why is it whenever hair companies make something for "ethnic" hair (hate that term by the way, but anywho) they load it up with petrolatum and mineral oil? I don't think any of these companies invest anytime really getting to understand the type curl pattern of our hair or what is really best for keeping it moisturized. It's like they just keep recycling the same recipe and slapping a different brand name on the bottle. My beef right now is with Pantene and their "Relaxed and Natural Line." I was expecting something better, but the same old ingredient list found for everything pertaining to our hair. I've read that petrolatum and mineral oil are not only bad for humans, period, but clog pores and stifle hair growth instead of stimulating it. I've given up on buying hair balms from commercial retailers since finding this site, I just make all my own stuff now and my hair is loving it. If it was so flipping easy for me and other ladies here to do this why can't these companies figure this out. Dang some consumer research wouldn't kill them.

It comes down to money. Mineral oil and petrolatum are CHEAP ingredients. Good oils like safflower oil, olive oil, etc. cost more. The cheaper it is to make a product, the higher the profit.

^^^yep. and the ingredients for a LOT of black hair care products (not all mind you) haven't truly changed since what, the 50's? just because you add some aloe doesn't mean that cancels out petrolatum... :lachen:

me too...i just put it back down...i'm glad they lable it mineral oil, there's another technical name for it. Motions is a big offender right now. Every doggone leave in they make mineral oil is the 2-4th ingredient!!!

Hey D-Rock,

I also really hated the fact that the bottom of the oil barrel (litterally) were the main ingredients for black hair care.

However, I have recently rediscovered mineral oil and find it to work very well as a lubricant and sealer on my hair ends. Nothing that a little baking soda can't gently get out on wash day.

However:

1. I never use petroleum
  2. I never put on my scalp.
Sometimes the things that lots of sistas say are bad just may not be for My hair. I also recently embraced cones. No tangles or breakage on this head anymore.:grin:

me too...i just put it back down...i'm glad they lable it mineral oil, there's another technical name for it. Motions is a big offender right now. Every doggone leave in they make mineral oil is the 2-4th ingredient!!!

That is me in the store, quietly shaking my head in disappointment. I now skip the entire "ethnic" hair section and I tried using Herbal's "Long Relationship" conditioner for long hair. I'm APL, I consider that sorta long. lol..

It comes down to money. Mineral oil and petrolatum are CHEAP ingredients. Good oils like safflower oil, olive oil, etc. cost more. The cheaper it is to make a product, the higher the profit.

Yeah, it's always about the bottom dollar. Too bad they don't realize some ladies would actually pay more for quality products.

Hey D-Rock,

I also really hated the fact that the bottom of the oil barrel (litterally) were the main ingredients for black hair care.

However, I have recently rediscovered mineral oil and find it to work very well as a lubricant and sealer on my hair ends. Nothing that a little baking soda can't gently get out on wash day.

However:

1. I never use petroleum
  2. I never put on my scalp.
Sometimes the things that lots of sistas say are bad just may not be for My hair. I also recently embraced cones. No tangles or breakage on this head anymore.:grin:

you know what? ITA!

i used to think many of the no-no product were bad bad bad but i've found that as long as i know what to look for, as in negative side effects, they're really ok.

like mineral oil, i stopped using it then went back to it but i don't apply it to my scalp, only the hair and it does make an excellent lubricant. btw, one of my favorite hair oils is Wonder 8 oil, i love it and just can't give it up :grin:

silicones is another; yea it can be bad if you don't recognize the signs of an overload and act accordingly but over all, they are not that bad.

grease and waxes, gels (non alcoholic:drunk2: ), same thing, make yourself aware of what they are, what they do and the signs of overload.

SLS shampoos - another prime example. to me nothing cleans better than a sudsy shampoo although i do like some non-SLS poo very much. With SLS poos, everything's absolutely gone (including my hair's natural oils) but i know how to put them back or dilute the amount of poo w/water so it's not a big problem.

far as some of the other hazardous to your health things, jury's still out on them but figure the ingredients are in very small amounts, i'm not applying them to my skin or scalp so i'm not that concerned.

you know what? ITA!

i used to think many of the no-no product were bad bad bad but i've found that as long as i know what to look for, as in negative side effects, they're really ok.

like mineral oil, i stopped using it then went back to it but i don't apply it to my scalp, only the hair and it does make an excellent lubricant. btw, one of my favorite hair oils is Wonder 8 oil, i love it and just can't give it up :grin:

silicones is another; yea it can be bad if you don't recognize the signs of an overload and act accordingly but over all, they are not that bad.

grease and waxes, gels (non alcoholic:drunk2: ), same thing, make yourself aware of what they are, what they do and the signs of overload.

SLS shampoos - another prime example. to me nothing cleans better than a sudsy shampoo although i do like some non-SLS poo very much. With SLS poos, everything's absolutely gone (including my hair's natural oils) but i know how to put them back or dilute the amount of poo w/water so it's not a big problem.

far as some of the other hazardous to your health things, jury's still out on them but figure the ingredients are in very small amounts, i'm not applying them to my skin or scalp so i'm not that concerned.

I totally feel you on everything you posted. One must really be in touch and listen to one's hair.

By the way, your hair is absolutely gorgeous and thack. I must be doing a little something right. Thanks.

JojobaOil.jpg

I recently brought organic root stimulator jojoba oil and at 1st I was real excited until I read the ingredients.

Petrolatum , Soybean Oil Glycine Soja , Lanolin, Isopropyl Myristate , Coconut Oil Cocos Nucifera , Jojoba Oil Simmondsia Chinensis , Castor Oil Ricinus Communis, Paraffin, Cyclomethicone , Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E , Fragrance Parfum, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, D'Limonene, Linalool, BHT

I see that it has petrolatum, do you think I should use it, or try and find something else?

JojobaOil.jpg

I recently brought organic root stimulator jojoba oil and at 1st I was real excited until I read the ingredients.

Petrolatum , Soybean Oil Glycine Soja , Lanolin, Isopropyl Myristate , Coconut Oil Cocos Nucifera , Jojoba Oil Simmondsia Chinensis , Castor Oil Ricinus Communis, Paraffin, Cyclomethicone , Tocopheryl Acetate Vitamin E , Fragrance Parfum, Citral, Citronellol, Coumarin, D'Limonene, Linalool, BHT

I see that it has petrolatum, do you think I should use it, or try and find something else?

I would definitely try a water based( first ingredient) moisturizer. The bolded ingredients would definitely make my hair dry out.
I don't use mineral oil/petro/paraffin products on my scalp,but my favorite dominican products do contain mineral oil. I chelate weekly, so I don't have buildup problems.

I would definitely try a water based( first ingredient) moisturizer. The bolded ingredients would definitely make my hair dry out.
I don't use mineral oil/petro/paraffin products on my scalp,but my favorite dominican products do contain mineral oil. I chelate weekly, so I don't have buildup problems.

Thanks, I am going to have to return this and find me something new.

I dont think mineral oil is that bad as long as its not the main moisturizer. I use Oyin whipped pudding then a cheapie dollar store coconut oil grease (main ingredient mineral oil) and my hair loves it.

But that stinkie blue grease...I hated the smell of it even when i was a kid!

honestly, I dont think they are that bad, at least for my hair. I don't use it as my main moisturizer, but I have tried doing my hair without using them and my hair does not look the same. It seems to be a little more frizzier w/o it. Especially when I want to flat iron my hair. I've tried just about every combination without mineral oil, but when I put a little bit of product with mineral oil, my hair looks so nice. I do clarify so I dont have buildup and I do not put it on the scalp so it will not clog my pores. But yea, thats just my experience with the product.

ladies ive been feeling the same way:nono:
my former co worker was ethiopian really curly hair and she use hydr. curls from pantine she tryed the relaxed and natural and her hair hated it:ohwell:

ive desided to throw out my Petrolatum based items and the ones with mineral oil luckily it was only 3

i had a old dr miracles jar rinsed it out for my recipes
my oceans flat ironing cream so old:rolleyes: rinsed that out and
optimum leave in spray and now replaced it with ovation and water for a braid sheen

but however i do still have my organic root stimulator spay even though it has mineral oil it it i dont apply it to my scalp only to my hair and the braids:yep:

Did you know the Pantene Relaxed and Natural line's ingredients are the same as the regular Pantene line EXCEPT for the addition of mineral oil and petrolatum. What do we have to have the crappy ingedients to make our hair grow? :naughty:

That is me in the store, quietly shaking my head in disappointment. I now skip the entire "ethnic" hair section and I tried using Herbal's "Long Relationship" conditioner for long hair. I'm APL, I consider that sorta long. lol..

I do the same thing, there are a few products out there that are very good, but overall, I completely avoid the "ethnic" sections. Sometimes I even get weird looks from other Black women when I peruse the "white" hair care sections:lachen: I love HE's LTR, and Hello Hydration:yep:

I do the same thing, there are a few products out there that are very good, but overall, I completely avoid the "ethnic" sections. Sometimes I even get weird looks from other Black women when I peruse the "white" hair care sections:lachen: I love HE's LTR, and Hello Hydration:yep:
:lachen:people look at me like your usin garnier and suave ?
oh well im only using organic and non ethic hair care con etc

:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:
Oh God! My mother (bless her) used to ALWAYS put this stuff in my hair and ON MY SCALP for about 15 years until I took the liberty of starting to self relax and grease was not an option :nono:.
At the time I thought nothing of it and it was the staple hair grease :lachen: ...grease it up and plait it up :yep:, but knowing what I know now, I avoid petrolatum and mineral oil loaded products the best I can.

And my mum and dad still use this stuff :look:...:nono:.

Did you know the Pantene Relaxed and Natural line's ingredients are the same as the regular Pantene line EXCEPT for the addition of mineral oil and petrolatum. What do we have to have the crappy ingedients to make our hair grow? :naughty:[/quote]
I know this sounds like a cospiracy theory and all,:lachen: but has it occured to anyone that they may be adding these ingredients to all the "ethnic products" because they know it's damaging to our hair?Think about it, it's not the money to make better products because the products made for "others" are without these evil products. :yep: If all blacks continued to use petroleum and other bad products on our hair and scalp, would we have healthy hair or would we continue on the never ending quest for that magic product to give us healthy hair ? Would that not in turn keep their pockets fat?? Just a thought. What do u think??

JojobaOil.jpg

I saw that too in Sally's. Everything from that line had petrolatum at the top of the ingredient list, meaning their formula contains more petro than any other ingredient. I hate to waste money, but I threw away all my Pantene stuff and Just For Me leave-ins because of the ingredients.

Did you know the Pantene Relaxed and Natural line's ingredients are the same as the regular Pantene line EXCEPT for the addition of mineral oil and petrolatum. What do we have to have the crappy ingedients to make our hair grow? :naughty:[/quote]
I know this sounds like a cospiracy theory and all,:lachen: but has it occured to anyone that they may be adding these ingredients to all the "ethnic products" because they know it's damaging to our hair?Think about it, it's not the money to make better products because the products made for "others" are without these evil products. :yep: If all blacks continued to use petroleum and other bad products on our hair and scalp, would we have healthy hair or would we continue on the never ending quest for that magic product to give us healthy hair ? Would that not in turn keep their pockets fat?? Just a thought. What do u think??

Wouldn't be the first time they've try and poison us.

Did you know the Pantene Relaxed and Natural line's ingredients are the same as the regular Pantene line EXCEPT for the addition of mineral oil and petrolatum. What do we have to have the crappy ingedients to make our hair grow? :naughty:

No shame, I think that's the truth. It's a BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS. Rather like pharmaceutical companies, they aren't trying to 'cure' or 'fix' jack - because then, you stop coming back for more. Why even bother making healthier stuff? The cheap stuff sells, and it doesn't work - and since the people buying it so firmly believe that they are the problem and not the products, they'll never switch brands/lines - it's a marketers dream come true.

Damn shame, is what it is.

No shame, I think that's the truth. It's a BILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS. Rather like pharmaceutical companies, they aren't trying to 'cure' or 'fix' jack - because then, you stop coming back for more. Why even bother making healthier stuff? The cheap stuff sells, and it doesn't work - and since the people buying it so firmly believe that they are the problem and not the products, they'll never switch brands/lines - it's a marketers dream come true.

Damn shame, is what it is.

I agree, completely.

Those ingrediants may not work for everyone, but I do not think they hinder health hair. Look at all the women in the past who had beautiful, healthy hair that they pressed all their lives with good old petrolium jelly. Several of my grand-aunts grew their hair to waist lenght and beyond by pressing several times a week and using grease. (Not a method I would recommend.) I think that the problem with black hair care is that we never learn what works for our. My hair loves cones and mineral oil. I clarify on the regular basis and the cones and mineral oil do a good job of locking in moisture. As always, do you!

Back