PERM..IS IT TOO SOON?

Jadore_tay

OK I got a perm on march 25 and my new growth is 2 inhes long. my hair dresser told me i need to perm my hair because its breaking. i really want to wait another week and a half. so she gets a big attitude (woah:nono:) but anyway i do my relaxers at home because i do not trust them lol :grin:...
should i listen to her?

OK I got a perm on march 25 and my new growth is 2 inhes long. my hair dresser told me i need to perm my hair because its breaking. i really want to wait another week and a half. so she gets a big attitude (woah:nono:) but anyway i do my relaxers at home because i do not trust them lol :grin:...
should i listen to her?

OMG! I JUST MADE THE SAME EXACT POST! LOL. TELL ME WAT U END UP DOING! WE'RE IN THE SAME BOAT!

whats another week and a half? its not gonna make much difference

Exactly :yep:

If your hair's breaking REALLY bad, try upping your deep conditioning to twice, even three times this week. I have horrible breakage when I stretch if I don't keep that newgrowth super moisturized. Deep conditioning several times during the week cuts the breakage drastically for me. Regular ol' moisturizing just doesn't do the trick :nono:

should i listen to her?

I know its off topic, but I gotta ask, how did you get your hair to grow 2 inches in less than 1 month??? Please do tell girl!!!:grin:

If you don't trust her that's an entirely different issue. Is she going to hack off all your progress? If so do it yourself or find somebody else to do it. Also, I'm not understanding this. You got a perm on march 25 and grew 2 inches since then? Or is this a corrective relaxer?

should i listen to her?

That sounds really really soon to do another relaxer. Is there anyway you can minimize the breakage? Maybe with a dose of protein? or moisture?

I don't trust stylists.

That sounds really really soon to do another relaxer. Is there anyway you can minimize the breakage? Maybe with a dose of protein? or moisture?

I don't trust stylists.

I don't really trust stylist myself but if you got a relaxer on March 25th, plus she said your hair was breaking how is a relaxer gonna all of a sudden minimize breakage? IMHO, its too soon to get another relaxer, you should maybe try protein and/or moisture treatments or deep condition before you relax again.

I would wait longer. It's way too soon. My stylist is the same way. She tells me that I should relax every 4 to 6 weeks because my hair starts breaking a lot by then. However, since I found LHCF and learned to balance protein/moisture and DC more often, I've been able to curb the breakage. Now I'm 11 weeks post with no breakage. I know when I get a relaxer in a few weeks, my stylist will probably be upset that I waited so long, but I know that I'm doing the best thing for my hair by stretching.

You had a perm on march 25... it's april 16th now... hair grows on average half an inch a month... and you have two full inches of unstretched new growth?

please explain... we would all like to know :yep:

Umk Pookie,
seriously, you cant leave us hanging here...
what'd ya do...scritching,growth aids, fast forward time on your scalp, what?

If you relaxed on the 25th of March - I would say its too soon to relax again unless you were underprocessed the first time?

If you relaxed on the 25th of March - I would say its too soon to relax again unless you were underprocessed the first time?

exactly two inches.. and its not even a month yet since ur last relaxer... i never hear of that and my hairs grow pretty fast but its not even a month yet and you have 2 inches? im a bit puzzled still on this fact..wat i suggest is that u make sure ur not underprocess. what i would do is.... one week after the first relaxer... wash ur hair and look at the roots while its wet... you will be able to tell if it wwas done right or not... cause they roots should be straight.... if ur not texlax that is.

Um, I would really like to know if you were perhaps underprocessed? I know that's not your original question but 2 inches in a month is really unheard of...to everyone on this board. (I think...)

I've been stretching since Feb. 2nd and it's April 17th today and I have about a full inch and a little extra...so...please share if you did get that much length in a month. Are you measuring with a ruler? I know I measure with my fingers sometimes and that's not always accurate. :nono: Maybe that's what you meant?

Anyways, (to answer your question) I suggest waiting a good 8-12 weeks between relaxers. Longer if possible to avoid overlapping.

Get a 2nd opinion and FIND A NEW STYLIST!

The 25March perm did not take well. The new growth you're speaking of is your underprocessed hair, reverting to it's new underprocessed texture.

Depending on your style and manipulation methods.....You may need another application immediately to prevent further breakage. AGAIN SEE ANOTHER STYLIST IMMEDIATELY. 1.5 weeks of constant styling can cause a lot of breakage.

should i listen to her?

I was about to ask the same question. How do you get 2 inches in less than a month. Whats your secret?

*FOR ALL WHO WANTED TO KNOW*
THE ONLY THING I USED ON MY HAIR WAS ALMA HAIR OIL, PANTENE DAILY DEFENSE, & MY IRON PILLS
I APPLY THE ALMA OIL IN MY HAIR A DAY BEFORE I WASH IT BUT THATS ALL I DID! LOL:yep:

Back