Pantene and Garnier Fructus users...

• Thread starter Thread starter Bublnbrnsuga
  • Start date Start date
B

Bublnbrnsuga

What is so special about these products? I admit,I almost became a PJ after reading several responses about these two products,but when I went to buy them,the 2nd main ingredient after water was alcohol. Since these products were designed for european hair,I understand the need for alcohol,but our hair is generally dry. Won't the alcohols in these products contribute to the dryness? Just curious because I really try to steer clear of products with Cetearyl and Stearyl(sp?) alcohol in them.

Cetearyl Alcohol is not really an "alcohol" such as ethyl or rubbing alcohol, which would dry the skin, but is an emulsifying wax made by combining fatty alcohols derived from vegetable sources.
Cetearyl alcohol may be naturally derived from coconut fatty alcohol or made artificially.
It is used in many cosmetics as an emollient, thickening agent, moisturizer, emulsifier, stabilizer, opacifier as well as a carrying agent for other ingredients.

I couldn't find info on Stearyl Alcohol .Try doing a search on this baord about it.

Okay,why are you all telling me that they are not exactly "bad alcohols".I feel a PJ urge coming on
poke.gif
I think I may have to retire the magnificent CON.
cry3.gif

Exactly BBS.....

These "fatty" alcohols are moisturizing and will not dry the hair in any way. They are common ingredient in most superior conditioners.

PJ away....
laugh.gif

Oh MY Gosh!!! See, this is what I mean! The things you learn on this site!! Thanks for the great info!! Wow! I thought I was pretty hair knowledgeable, but thanks for educating me!

What about cetyl alcohol?I know,I should just give up and purchase the pantene or garnier. Today I purchased Suave Passion Fruit conditioner and my once trusy LeKair,both having those once dreaded alcohols in them. I had Garnier,but I had to hold back on that.I should have purchased it since it was only 1.99 on my job. I just don't know about the Pantene,though. I looked at the Relaxed and Naturals line and I know the company has to market to more consumers,but the brown bottles made me hesitant to purchase them. I know one thing,I may end up purchasing the conditioners,but definitely not the shampoos-they are loaded with SLS or ALS-now ladies,please don't tell me these two ingredients are good for the hair too.

I'd probably stay away from the Pantene shampoos also. I really think it's important to use a gentle shampoo. I really like Nature's Gate and Kenra.

The brown bottles turn me off the Pantene R&N line, too. I wonder if Pantene knows that they could potentially be turning away buyers by having it in that ugly brown bottle. Seriously, it's all about marketing... Though, I will probably buy a bottle sometime next year to try it out.

cetyl alcohol is a moisturizer (fatty alcohol) too that is found in most conditioners esp. detangling ones.
you should try the relaxed and natural it is really thick and moisturizing bc of the added coconut and jojoba oil in it.

Hairlove,

I love the bottle. It has a bronzy looking glow to me
smile.gif
--and the purple & gold just sets it off.

Bublnbrnsuga, u know u want to buy it so don't waste time THINKING about buying the Pantene. Even I like it and Im picky as hell.

SD-alcohols or 'specially denatured' alcohols are the drying alcohols u should watch out 4. They r usually found in hairsprays, astringents, mousses, wet-look gels and other products that r designed to evaporate quickly . Some examples include Benzyl alcohol, Isopropyl alcohol, Ethyl alcohol and SD alcohols eg SD alcohol 40B.

Here's a trick I use to know if a product contains a drying alcohol: I spread a thin layer of it on my wrist or the back of my hand and softly blow on it. If it evaporates quickly and leaves my skin 'chilled' in the same way a perfume does, I safely assume that it contains an SD alcohol.
HTH.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I'd probably stay away from the Pantene shampoos also. I really think it's important to use a gentle shampoo. I really like Nature's Gate and Kenra.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's wrong with pantene's shampoos?

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

The brown bottles turn me off the Pantene R&N line, too. I wonder if Pantene knows that they could potentially be turning away buyers by having it in that ugly brown bottle. Seriously, it's all about marketing... Though, I will probably buy a bottle sometime next year to try it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it kind of turned me off too but i buy the regular ones all the time. but the regular in the other lines the bottles look so simular. they're all white bottles with that one strip of color on it. i think if they made the bottle the same color we would look right over it because it would blend right in with the rest of the line. but i can spot the relaxed line really quick. so i use it to my advantage. maybe the brown bottles are supposed to represent the color of the oils thats in it...lol. maybe not. but the goldish hue brown and the purple are pretty to me.

I don't like the brown bottles, either. They could have made it white or cream colored with a darker trim... I'm surprised they didn't put the Indian line in black or bright orange bottles!
laugh.gif

Pantene%20Long%20Black.jpg

Yeah,I glad some of yall feel me about the brown bottles and understand my point-like someone said to me earlier, they could have placed them in black bottles,but maybe that attempt would really anger some.

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
Hairlove,

I love the bottle. It has a bronzy looking glow to me
smile.gif
--and the purple & gold just sets it off.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. I thought I was the only one who liked the bottles.

I've used the Relaxed and Natural shampoo and the conditioner, and I think they moisturize, detangle and soften my hair very well. I think the products from their line is worth at least a try. I just went to their website and they have a new line of products called Full and Thick. Looking at their descriptions of their different product lines really make you want to go out and buy them. They are so convincing.

The relaxed and natural shampoo made my hair hard I have nevered tried the conditioner.
My hair really likes the Garnier Fructus conditioner provides great slip.

Oh my goodness. I absolutely love the bottle! Why don't you guys like it? anyways don't let your dislike of the packaging deter you from trying a good product.

Back