Paging MoniCurl

NayNay

MoniCurl,
I just looked at your album and your hair is GREAT-beautiful! You are definitely an inspiration-Natural or relaxed. I know you are a big advocate of KemiOyl Shea butter. Can you only purchase it online??? (I know I can't buy until February /images/graemlins/crazy.gif) How am I going to survive? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
But MoniCurl could you tell me more about the product (do you only use on wet hair, how often, etc)could you post the ingredients and more about your hair care routine!
Keep up the good work girl & Thanks

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Poster: NayNay
Subject: Re: Paging MoniCurl

MoniCurl,
I just looked at your album and your hair is GREAT-beautiful! You are definitely an inspiration-Natural or relaxed. I know you are a big advocate of KemiOyl Shea butter. Can you only purchase it online??? (I know I can't buy until February ) How am I going to survive?
But MoniCurl could you tell me more about the product (do you only use on wet hair, how often, etc)could you post the ingredients and more about your hair care routine!
Keep up the good work girl &amp; Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi NayNay!

Sorry to take so long answering you but I am just getting back into town after the holidays /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Thanks so much for the compliments! Y'all gonna give me the big head /images/graemlins/wink.gif.
I usually buy the Kemi-anything at National Wholesale Liquidators. The price is lower than online, though as much as I love this stuff, I'd pay more for it anyway.

I usually only use it on wet hair, but sometimes if I want a good tight flat twist set and have blow dried my hair with a comb attachment to stretch it out, I will use it as I flat twist. It turns sort of liquid when you heat it, so I will dip my fingers in it while it warm, then start twisting a section. It saves major time and leaves a nice shine plus makes the hair slip between my fingers so I can go faster. I also use it on my edges when I am wearing a slicked back ponypuff or afro puff. A little water and some of the pomade then a scarf tied down for about an hour and my edges will not be so puffy for a few hours. Of course, they puff back up by the end of the day, but that's ok.

My hair care routine is so simple as to be non-existent. If I am wearing shake and go styles, I rinse daily in the shower and apply Thermasilk Moisturizing or Tressemme Hydrology Conditioner and leave it in. I towel dry it, then use NAPCA spray and Aubrey Mandarin gel in sections, squeezing out any excess with my towel, tie on a scarf or use a headband and go.
Once a week, I wash with shampoo which is whatever I have on hand. After I wash, I put in Tressemme or Thermasilk conditioner and leave it in, wrap a towel around my hair and squeeze the water and conditioner into it.
If I want to blow dry it (which I will only do after a wash, not a rinse), I use Aveda Gel Lotion on small sections, using a comb attachment.
If I do an updo, I either do it while it's wet, or after I blow dry it.
My use of the KemiOyl Pomade just depends on how I intend to wear it.

That's basically it other than a once a month ORS Mayonaisse (or whatever I have on hand) deep conditioning with a heating cap. I was doing hot oil treatments for a while, but I have not renewed my supply of a lot of things because I am determined to use everything I have before buying anything new.
I am a recovering product junkie /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Hi, Monicurl! Your hair IS very beautiful! All of you naturals, have me considering going back! (I've only been a relaxed head for 6 months.)

Question: I see you use TwinLab's NA-PCA spray (with the Aloe according to an old post of yours). I use the one that doesn't contain aloe, but I always use it on wet hair for 5 minutes, then rinse out as per the directions on the bottle. I've never even considered using it as a leave-in because it contains ethyl(sp?) alcohol and I thought that would be extremely drying.

Does the aloe version contain alcohol? Have you had any problems with dryness using this product as a leave-in?

Thanks!

Hi BlkMane, thank you!

When you said yours had alcohol, I ran to get mine because I THOUGHT I'd read my ingredients and didn't see any alcohol. I checked and it doesn't--how strange!
The ingredients for mine are: Pure aloe vera gel, Na-PCA (the sodium salt of pyrrolidone carboxylic acid), purified water and methyl paraben (preservative form). That's it. I wonder why the other version has alcohol?

OK here is the PJ in me. How does the TwinLab work on your hair (BlkMane &amp; MoniCurl) does it help your hair retain moisture? I know that Sodium PCA is a humectant.
Where do you purchase the product?
Thanks ladies.

Hey girls,

I have been using the NAPCA with aloe spray too.

I bought it over the summer to use on a plant I was trying to save. The plant made a dramatic recovery after it had sat for a couple weeks by a window in the hot sun. (I was out of town.) I only used a little of the spray on the plant, but the shriveled up stalks of the bamboo plants quicky became smooth again.

Well about a month ago I changed my after shampoo routine, began using the NAPCA and it has definately resulted in softer hair.

After rinsing my hair I usually smooth on some aloe vera gel and then spray on the NAPCA. Then I put on a little leave in conditioner and a few drops of oil and then twist.

My hair stays VERY soft and moist even after it dries.

I read the post of how BlkMane uses it, but I think that I like using it as part of my after shampoo routine better.

--kc

kasey,
Are u natural or relaxed? How does the aloe vera gel work in your hair. I heard it can dry the hair out? Is it only good for twisting the hair? Also where did you purchase your Twinlab spray but shhhhhh don't tell Pebs I am asking. She has been so good with her PJness. I am going to be good too! I will buy some in February! SMILE

I tried the Na-PCA spray on my hair yesterday when I washed it (as a leave-in). It made my hair feel dry. I think the addition of the ethyl alcohol in the "regular" version makes it inappropriate for use as a leave-in. Even though using it after my shampoo (and before my conditioner) for 5 minutes then rinsing it out works GREAT!! It makes your hair feel MOOOOOIST!

Hmmmm, now I'm going to have to try that Aloe Vera version!

Good thing I'm almost done with my bottle anyway.

NayNay, I bought mine at Whole Foods. You can find it at Vitamin Shoppe, too. But the price in the stores ($8.50-$9) is very steep compared to the internet prices ($3.50-$4.95).

BlkMane you get me in trouble each time! I may try the Twinlab but if I buy it now I have to add on another week of not buying products!!! By the way how did you like the Aphogee Balancing Mosituriser? I like it-I am still in search of the perfect moisturizer. I have one that is okay, but I will try the KeraCare in February 2003. Now if I can stay away from WholeFoods and the TwinLab spray. It seems to have a high content of NAPCA which like you said is a wonderful moisturizer!
BlkMane you are no help with my ATTEMPT at product withdrawal! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back