Off to NYC - what to stock up on

fairyhairy

Hey Peeps
I'm off to new york for a few days, now i'm natural i'd love to pick up some great products, I will be in manhattan so would like to know some shops i can pick up qhmets and kinky curly, also any recommendations on other products would be welcome, anywhere that's easy to get to within manhattan would be great xx

thanks ladies :drunk:

Well my favorite product right now is north american hemp co's deep hair treatment oil it's a hemp seed oil blend. Duane reade carries the whole line and it all looks good but I have only tried the oil

Duane reade's stuff varies from store to store and is always worth checking out - the one by my work carries dominican products, the one by my house carries taliah waajid

Only 1 store in brooklyn carries qhmet. It's not easy to get to - I'm from brooklyn and I've never been there

Ricky's is great - overpriced but worth checking out. They carry kinky curly and lots of good lines
http://www.rickysnyc.com/

Whole body in chelsea (whole foods) is great too
http://www.yelp.com/biz/whole-body-at-whole-foods-market-new-york

Last edited:
You can pick up Kinky Curly (and lots of other hair goodies) at Whole Foods.

If you are in the Union Square area, you can also stop by Essentials (www.essentialsplus.com ), Trader Joes, Sephora, and Price Wise Discount (this store is also located on the Upper West Side.).

You'll mostly find salon products at Essentials and Price Wise Discount.

Ricky's (Google them, they're everywhere)

Wigs & Plus (On 32nd Street between 7th & 6th) Don't be fooled by the name, they have a wide range of hair care products lol)

Kalustyans (123 Lexington Avenue. This is an Indian health store and they have plenty of reasonably priced natural henna and oils for for hair)

Happy Shopping :)

If you're into Ayuvedic treatments or henna, you should go to the Indian section of 28th bet. park and lex.

I was there last October and managed to pick up some Lavender Jamaican Black Castor Oil. I wish I had of gotten more. Next time I'm going with a empty suitcase. lol

Qhemets is only carried in Back to the Land Naturals in Brooklyn if you can make it out there the trip is workth saving on shipping and handling. It is in Park slope.

The weather is warming up a bit it goes back and forth btwn the 30's- mid 50's.

If you go to the Indian shops pay close attention to the expiration dates on the products.
There is another store that is on 28th st called Foods of India I like this one better as it is not as crowded and the prices are a bit better. As is most of the Indian stores I have been into the service leaves something to be desired, still better service than Kalustyans though. If you cant find what you want there there is one more closer to Park Ave closer to McDonalds called Butala Emporium, the have a much more vast selection of powders

come uptown to harlem and on 125th street there are tons of beauty supply stores ( especially btw adam clayton powell and st nicholas avenues) you could stock up on dominican or ors products ...you can buy shea butter, black soap, and other stuff from street vendors for cheap. fairway is on the upper west side and they have a good natural hair care/ essential oils/ carriers oils section and the prices aren't bad at all. as the ladies stated trader joe's is also a must the tea tree tingle and spa nourish condishes are about $3 for a 16oz bottle so you could buy plenty of those. there are 3 trader joes locations in manhatthan union sq/14th street, 23rd/6th in chelsea and 72nd and broadway on the upper west side......chile you could clean them out!:lachen:

thanks so much ladies, really hoping i will have a few hours by my self to do a superstore dash, :grin:

southerncitygirl lol I think I may have to! am soo excited, last time I came I had no time to shop so trying fit it in haha just see my self at customs explaining why i have 20 bottles of conditioner :look:

Back