NTM leave in has LYE in it!!!!!!!!!!!!

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

A friend just informed me that our dear and beloved NTM Silk Touch Leave-in has lye in it.

http://www.epinions.com/content_267606331012
Here are the ingredients:
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Behenyl Alcohol, Glycerin,
Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Polyquaternium 37, Cetrimonium Chloride, Behentrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate,
Cyclohexasiloxane, Meadowfoam Seed Oil (limnanthes alba), Olive Fruit
Oil (olea europaea), Sweet Almond Oil (prunus amygdalis dulcis),
Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, PPG 1
Trideceth 6, Phenyl Trimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben,
Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance

I can't believe that I never noticed this before!!!!!!!! Was there a thread that I missed??

I've been using this on my hair almost daily at some points, especially on my ends!!!!!!!!!

I mean I know it's at the end of the ingredient list but still....

Someone please shed some light on this for me...

But doesn't the fact that it's the 2nd to last ingredient mean it's a very little amount?

Seems like plenty folks use it without any adverse effects.

Since it's such a small amount maybe it takes a while for adverse affects to be noticed, and even then you may not equate it with NTM.

I just don't understand why LYE would need to be in a leave in moisturizer?? I don't know maybe the LYE is there to make the hair feel smoother....

I may have to stop using this...I don't know if I want to knowingly put lye in my hair day in and day out...

I agree that this is a little unsettling b/c I love my NTM... But sodium hydroxide is really only harmful as a concentrated solution. Given that it's the next to last ingredient here, I don't think we are really at risk.

sodium hydroxide is also ingredients in two of my shampoos(cream of nature and gift shampoo that I received) and I haven't had any adverse effects from it.

Sorry I missed that thread last year. I'm glad it was resolved though. I'm no chemist, so just hearing it was in it scared me. And I love CON too much to give it up. I'm glad that the Sistaslick and Gymfreak were able to straighten it out. We have some SMART sisters on this board!!

Sorry I missed that thread last year. I'm glad it was resolved though. I'm no chemist, so just hearing it was in it scared me. And I love CON too much to give it up. I'm glad that the Sistaslick and Gymfreak were able to straighten it out. We have some SMART sisters on this board!!

It's all good. You were just lookin' out. :hug2:

Last edited:

Girl I was sure you didn't see the thread which is why i was gonna post it. I have just been browsing the boards entirely toooo long. I really should not be remembering things that have already been discussed. Maybe i should get a life :lachen:

Girl I was sure you didn't see the thread which is why i was gonna post it. I have just been browsing the boards entirely toooo long. I really should not be remembering things that have already been discussed. Maybe i should get a life :lachen:

You're so crazy, Bre! What do you mean get a life...this is our life.:lachen:

We could be doing worse stuff than this.:grin:

Good looking out, OP.:yep: Glad it was resolved.

sodium hydroxide can be found in many shampoos and soaps. Im glad you posted this because a friend of mine uses Pantene R&N breakage defense and said she noticed her hair was dryer since reading it. I sa it had sodium hydroxide on it and I told her I will ask you ladies whats up

sodium hydroxide can be found in many shampoos and soaps. Im glad you posted this because a friend of mine uses Pantene R&N breakage defense and said she noticed her hair was dryer since reading it. I sa it had sodium hydroxide on it and I told her I will ask you ladies whats up

Sodium Hydroxide is in many products because it is one of the cheapest ways to adjust the pH. That is it. Don't get scared. If your friend is noticing that her hair is drier since using Pantene mask then if could be from a couple of things

1) Her protein/moisture balance is off and the Pantene mask is tipping the scale for her in the wrong way
2) She needs to clarify; the pantene mask has cones
3) The product just doesn't work for her

Think about it......If any sodium hydroxide in a product would cause a straightening effect then how come we have to use relaxers.....I would just be able to slather on CON or Neutrogena Leave in and get straighter hair. If you eat pretzels then you are eating a product treated with Sodium Hydroxide. Just about all chemicals can be harmful in certain amounts....It is the concentration that matters.

I'm so bad I thought that the old thread was just bumped, I almost didn't open this one and what makes it even worse when I saw the title I was like " RabbiElaine didn't start that thread. :grin:. So it's really bad when yo not only remember the thread but also who started it.

I've used it all year and its the best thing that happened to my hair...

I too agree. The BEST thing. I've been using it for 2+ years. It helps with detangling, moisture, and softness especially when I'm approaching relaxer time and my new growth is an unmanageable mess. I wouldnt trade it for the world, and I'm eternally grateful to the person who referred this product to me. CON is also on my list of favorites.

Back