Not.... as DIRECTED

CurliDiva

I always tried to follow the directions on the bottle or jar, because I figured the company knows better than me about how the product works best, but…

Yesterday, I applied KMS Reconstructor and applied heat for 30 minutes (while watching a Sex in the City dvd), let cool, applied heat for another 30 minutes (watched another SIC episode), then rinsed. By deep conditioning with a heat bonnet for over an hour, my hair turned out so SMOOTH, SOFT and BEAUTIFUL! :D

My hair has NEVER felt this good, and I definitely think it is because I gave the conditioner extra time to work versus following the instructions for 5-15 minutes.

Does anyone else have great success with a product by not following the directions on the package?

I never follow directions...

It's another part of marketing. Lots of companies say stuff like apply this conditioner, rinse out an for added benefits apply it and rinse out again...

Who they think is stupid? :lol: They just want you to use 2x as much.

I hate when companies list "wrong" instructions. It makes me feel like they are trying to sabatogae my hair. For example... elasta QP breakage control serum says to apply, use heat, rinse... then style as usual and use MANGO BUTTER to moisturize.

Love the breakage control serum, but it IS a protein conditioner that will leave your hair dry. You need to deep condition after it... not use some mango butter. If I was to follow their instructions my hair would look like a hot mess.

A lot of deep conditioners and reconstrutors say stuff like... apply and leave in for 3-5 minutes. It's not going to work in succh a short period of time...

arrgh...

Don't listen girls! Use your own common sense!

I leave conditioners in longer than the instructions say, and I put on a shower cap and sit under the dryer with them.
With shampoo, I only lather once not 2x!
Sometimes I use instant conditioners as leave-ins.

I only lather once, also esp when clarifying. My hair does not like the stripped squeaky clean feel. They always want you to lather twice and pile all your hair on top of your head (which i don't do anymore either). That use to give alot of tangles.

Last edited:
I rarely follow the directions on products, unless it's something that would cause damage if I didn't follow them (bleach, relaxer, permanent dye etc).

Back