No shampoo...ever?

I was reading somewhere that this lady doesn't shampoo her hair. She just conditions and when she feels it needed, she uses baking soda on the hair to remove any gunk from her hair. I guess you can say that she uses the baking soda as a shampoo. Does anyone here do this? I wanted to try it but i wanted some reviews first. I would love to have an almost all-natural regimen.

Each person is different... but for me I need to shampoo.

I have a friend who is natural and she doesn't use shampoo either.. she said that she puts a little bacon soda in with her conditioner to cleanse her hair and scalp.. Her reasoning was b/c shampoo was drying to the hair. So it works for her... but I love shampoos.

God's Anointed said:
I was reading somewhere that this lady doesn't shampoo her hair. She just conditions and when she feels it needed, she uses baking soda on the hair to remove any gunk from her hair. I guess you can say that she uses the baking soda as a shampoo. Does anyone here do this? I wanted to try it but i wanted some reviews first. I would love to have an almost all-natural regimen.

I have done this until I just recently bought some ABBA shampoo. I just wasn't convinced my hair was clean with the baking soda rinse. i have a thick head of natural hair. It may work for you, however. I know alot of women swear by the baking soda rinse... some even add lemon juice.Make sure to gently massage it into your scalp as you would actual shampoo and don't use more than a tablespoon of baking soda because you'll get buildand end up having to shampoo anyway... Hope it works out for you:)

By the way, there are natural shampoo such as Abba that are sulfate and cone free.

This sounds very interesting, but I couldn't do it, because I LOVE shampoos :) I'd also would like to know what TLHC is!

I haven't used shampoo in about *thinks* 8 months? I use conditioner once a week, and clarify with Baking soda once a month.
My hair & scalp have never been happier.

But then - I don't use ANY cones, and I use minimal products....

So - it can work, but YMMV.....

God's Anointed said:

We're all different, and what works for one may or may not work for another. That being said, I only use shampoo to wash my combs and brushes. I use conditioner to wash my hair, and only use baking soda when I want to clarify and don't have any clarifying conditioner on hand. My hair and scalp feel as clean as they did when I was using shampoo, and believe me I really paid attention to that when I first decided to stop using shampoo. I stopped using shampoo in Sept, 2006. HTH

ETA: Date correction.

I went many months without using shampoo...only conditioner. But I didn't use baking soda because I didn't like the way it made my hair feel (REALLY dry). I currently use shampoo when I feel like it which can be more or less depending on the season and the amount of oils/butters I'm using. I don't think hair necessarily needs shampoo, but it depends. You can always try it for a while and see how it goes. I think it works best for those who don't use cones and who use minimal product.

Cichelle said:
I went many months without using shampoo...only conditioner. But I didn't use baking soda because I didn't like the way it made my hair feel (REALLY dry). I currently use shampoo when I feel like it which can be more or less depending on the season and the amount of oils/butters I'm using. I don't think hair necessarily needs shampoo, but it depends. You can always try it for a while and see how it goes. I think it works best for those who don't use cones and who use minimal product.

Yea, i ain't too sure about that part. I know my products have cones in them (they were cheap and i'm on a tight budget) and i know i used a lot of things in my hair. I guess i'll just use baking soda as a scalp scrub.

This is the "Curly Girl" ROutine by Lorraine Massey. When I first BC-ed I did this for a few months, avoided all cones and oilier products. It just didn't work for me. Every time I would play with my hair (which I did a lot at the time), my finger nails would be black. I also tried the baking-soda-thing a few times to clarify, but it didn't get better, plus it dried my hair out. For me, it was too much work trying to avoid all cones (except water-soluble), plus my scalp never really felt clean. So I went back to shampoo and felt much better. Right now I use Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo, and IMHO it's the best shampoo EVER (better than CON :ducks: :))!!!!

But the routine does work for a lot of people!

I also don't believe hair needs shampoo. Like some of the others have said, I shampoo when I feel like it. But I mostly cw. There are a lot of people who dread there hair and are rastas and they do not shampoo, and have long, healthy waistlength neat dreads.

Everybody is different/

I just recently starting cowashing instead of using shampoo. I'll probably shampoo once or twice a month but I'm going to use a gentle shampoo. The 2 I'm curious about trying is the Grand Poo Bar by Oyin and Devacurl low poo.

Back