No Protein/shea Butter/aloe Vera (moisturizers,stylers, Conditioners)

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
If a product is well formulated and these ingredients are pass the top 5 ingredients listed my hair has no issues but if it's not, my hair cannot take it at all.

If the product has these ingredients in a deep conditioner than its considered my protein treatment for that wash session. Shea Butter has to be down the list in the DC or it will not sink it.

Avocado oil reacts the same for me as coconut oil if it's high up. I can't use any of the Sheamoisture products other than the souffle sparingly.

If it's a rinse out product or prepoo then it's not too bad. I just can't use it back to back.

It's funny because if the company has a creamy water based product with these ingredients high up a consist performance and no formulation changes , then I'm fine.

I'm not that fond of green tea either. I liked how Soultamicals started off non Shea but it seems she's starting to include it in newer products.

Sarenzo had a wonderful no Shea , coconut , soy , no aloe moisturizer but I don't think it was a favorite because it didn't stick around.

Anyone else ? What are some products you're using consistently?

Shescentit cranberry cocktail is lovely. I'm hoping with the new packaging nothing else has changed. I use it solely straight after washing with nothing else to dry.

OK, let's see. There's:

Amazon Rain Forest (formerly PBN) Sapote Hair Lotion
Deionized Water, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetyl Alcohol, Organic Sapote, Babassu Seed Oil, Cupuacu Butter, Organic Brazil Nut Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Capryl Glycol, Fragrance

Amazon Rain Forrest Muru Muru Moisture Milk
Deionized Water, Murumuru Butter, Behentrimonium Sulfate and Cetyl Alcohol, Castor Seed Oil, Palm Oil, Avocado Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Capryl Glycol, Fragrance

Bobeam DC - New Formula
Water, BTMS, Cetyl Alcohol, Cocoa Butter, Olive Oil, Amla Oil, African Wild Honey, Slippery Elm, Marshmallow Root, Panthenol, Fragrance, Natural Preservative

DB Sweet Cocoa Bean Curl Smoothing Cream

Distilled Water, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, BTMS, Cetearyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Panthenol, Phenoxyethanol, Capryl Glycol, Cetyl Esters, Fragrance, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Algin

DB Sweet Cocoa Bean Moisturizing Hair Whip
Distilled Water, Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, BTMS, Olive Oil, Palm Oil, Wildflower Honey, Candelilla Wax, Cetyl Esters, Panthenol, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol, Vanilla, Coffee Oil, Cocoa Absolute

HV Red Tea Nourishing Conditioner
Water, Red Rooibos Tea Leaf Extract, Sweet Almond Oil, Argan Nut Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Corn Oil, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Dimethyl Stearamine, Polysorbate 80, Paprika Powder, Lactic Acid, Fragrance

MHC Type 3 Hair Creme
Purified Water, Kukui Nut Butter, Mango Butter, Sunflower Butter, Olive Butter, Aloe Jelly, Unfiltered Raw Honey, Jatamansi Extract, Nettle Extract, Fragrance, Optiphen

MHC Twist Out Hair Creme
Deionized Water, Cocoa Seed Butter, Shea Butter, Emulsifying Wax, Grapeseed Oil, Japanese Green Tea Leaf Extract, Vitamin C and E, Fragrance and Optiphen

Naturalee Olive & Jojoba Buttercream
Olive Butter, Olive Fruit Oil, Distilled Water, Jojoba Butter, Jojoba Seed Oil, Sunflower Butter, Sunflower Seed Oil, Soybean Oil, Castor Oil, Ashwagandha Extract, Panthenol, Horsetail Extract, Argan Oil, Potassium Sorbate, Emulsifying Wax

NG Mango & Coconut Water Deep Conditioning Treatment
Coconut Water, Conditioning Emulsifier, Marshmallow Root, Grapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Mango Butter, Emu Oil, Venasilk, Sodium Lactate, Agave Nectar, Aveeno Oat, Panthenol, Preservative, Fragrance

NG Jamaica Me Crazy Hair Conditioner
Coconut Infused Water, Conditioning Emulsifier, Slippery Elm Bark, Mango Butter, Sodium Lactate, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Naturesilk, Panthenol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Preservative, Fragrance

NG Irish Moss Moisture Rich Hair Conditioner
Water, Conditioning Emulsifier, Irish Moss, Fenugreek, Marshmallow Root, Burdock Root, Argan, Grapeseed Oil, Sodium Lactate, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Naturesilk, Panthenol, Agave Nectar, Preservative, Fragrance

NG Blue Malva Moisture Rich Conditioner For Dry Natural Hair
Purified, Conditioning Emulsifier, Karanja Oil, Argan Oil, Almond Oil, Blue Malva, Aveeno Oat, Sugar Beet Root, Cetrimonium Chloride, Naturesilk, Vena Silk, Guar Gum, Panthenol, Fragrance, Preservative

Obia Curl Moisture Cream
Purified Water, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Grapeseed Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Argan Oil, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Burdock Root, Lavender Oil, Coconut Oil, Soybean Oil, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera Oil

QB Burdock Root Butter Cream
Distilled Water, Olive Oil, Extracts Of Burdock Root, Nettle And Oatstraw, MSM Sulfur, Vegetable Glycerin, Wheat Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Vitamin E, Lactic Acid, Maldexotrin, Phenoexthanol, Ethylhexyglycerin, Essential Oil Blend

QB Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
Distilled Water, Nettle, Barley, Horsetail Extracts, Pure Cocoa Butter, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, MSM Sulfur, Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Behenamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Butylene Glycol, Preservatives

Thanks for this will be subbing for any responses. My hair acts up if shea butter or coconut oil are in the top 3 for products that I don't rinse out. I think that shea butter and coconut oil are cheap and they are used for bases. Plus I think most naturals love shea and coconut.

I bought a ton of the dc's from NG when she launched and wasn't too impressed. I was on her site yesterday looking around.

I will say I have drastically reduced shopping because vendors use coconut, Shea Butter and aloe Vera like its mecca.

I have to prepoo and deep condition every wash because most everything has those ingredients and acts like a protein.

I'm not tied to one line which is great. It just makes it interesting to say the least in finding leave in and moisturizers.

I can definitely empathize because my hair was ultra picky for a very long time - no AVJ/AVG, shea, EVCO, EVOO, avocado, butters, proteins, hidden proteins or milk products. All of these things made my hair hard/rough or acted like proteins. It was extremely annoying, and I had to do a lot of maneuvering just to get products to work and keep my hair from becoming a helmet, e.g., always DCing with heat, immediately rinsing the DC while the hair was still warm, no cool water rinsing, etc. However, I was able to turn things around with:

- HV Sitrinillah; despite containing coconut oil, my hair didn't react negatively to it. It's also a great moisturizing base that takes on oil additions very well
- Sealing with a largely castor based oil mixture, which helped soften up any roughness I'd received from other products
- Avoiding aloe based sprays and leave-ins (aloe will tear some hair up and have a person blaming everything else but it for their bad outcome)
- Enduring the roughness/hardness and refreshing every day with thick, highly emollient creams in order to soften it up and prep it for the next wash day (sometimes build up is your friend by creating a protective barrier)
- Adding carrier and essential oils to all of my products (even shampoos and cleansers) to give them an added boost; my favorites were almond, castor, jojoba, pumpkin, rosemary and babassu

Since I couldn't completely avoid all of those additives, my hair eventually began to accept them; two years ago, I was able to use shea based products with great success. Still, to this day, my hair will react badly when it's been given too much avocado and aloe vera; and it cannot stand palm. IMO, you just gotta hold on and persevere through this phase. Find a few products and methods that work, and use the hell out of them.

I can definitely empathize because my hair was ultra picky for a very long time - no AVJ/AVG, shea, EVCO, EVOO, avocado, butters, proteins, hidden proteins or milk products. All of these things made my hair hard/rough or acted like proteins. It was extremely annoying, and I had to do a lot of maneuvering just to get products to work and keep my hair from becoming a helmet, e.g., always DCing with heat, immediately rinsing the DC while the hair was still warm, no cool water rinsing, etc. However, I was able to turn things around with:

- HV Sitrinillah; despite containing coconut oil, my hair didn't react negatively to it. It's also a great moisturizing base that takes on oil additions very well
- Sealing with a largely castor based oil mixture, which helped soften up any roughness I'd received from other products
- Avoiding aloe based sprays and leave-ins (aloe will tear some hair up and have a person blaming everything else but it for their bad outcome)
- Enduring the roughness/hardness and refreshing every day with thick, highly emollient creams in order to soften it up and prep it for the next wash day (sometimes build up is your friend by creating a protective barrier)
- Adding carrier and essential oils to all of my products (even shampoos and cleansers) to give them an added boost; my favorites were almond, castor, jojoba, pumpkin, rosemary and babassu

Since I couldn't completely avoid all of those additives, my hair eventually began to accept them; two years ago, I was able to use shea based products with great success. Still, to this day, my hair will react badly when it's been given too much avocado and aloe vera; and it cannot stand palm. IMO, you just gotta hold on and persevere through this phase. Find a few products and methods that work, and use the hell out of them.

Everything you stated, Ive been doing for 3 plus years lol. I just never asked anyone else if they suffered as well. Castor oil is the love of my life. I love HV Cocasta oil. its been a staple since shes been making it.

Its really good to read other folks have the same problems. I can use shea butter IF the product is formulated water based and well, but if its a butter type pomade, its out unless i use a tiny amount per section,

I moisturize daily when my hair is out for that very reason. Very cool to read similar journeys @PJaye

Everything you stated, Ive been doing for 3 plus years lol. I just never asked anyone else if they suffered as well. Castor oil is the love of my life. I love HV Cocasta oil. its been a staple since shes been making it.

Its really good to read other folks have the same problems. I can use shea butter IF the product is formulated water based and well, but if its a butter type pomade, its out unless i use a tiny amount per section,

I moisturize daily when my hair is out for that very reason. Very cool to read similar journeys @PJaye

I love me some castor and Cocasta; I've turned a herd of people on to those two items alone. One of the great things about this board is being able to share commonalities. I was dealing with that issue from 2009 through roughly 2014 by myself. I'm just glad that I can at least empathize with you.

Lol my hair is OBSESSED with Shea butter, aloe Vera, and protein.

I just preood with a whipped aloe Vera and Shea butter mix and did a protein DC and my hair purred like a kitten. So funny our hair is the exact opposite in what it wants. What hair type do you have? As far as strands and porosity?

Back