No gel routine

I don't use gel. I think it dries out my hair. First, my hair feels crispier while it's on my hair. Then without it (at first) my hair feels drier. Once I go a while without using it, it's back in shape. It's kind of like my hair will get addicted to it and I won't get the right results without but then if I just keep going without it, eventually my hair acts how I want it anyway.

I don't because I hate "crunchy" hair and I've yet to find a gel that doesn't make my hair feel that way. Fortunately, I don't need to use it at this point because I wear my hair up every day. However, before the b/c, I did have some success with styling glazes, which dried crunchy but were easily smoothed out so that my hair felt soft. Even those, however, can cause dryness if used too often, I think. Or at least, that's my experience.

I hate gel! :mad: Some of them contain way too much protein which is the reason why it makes my hair feel super dry and crispy even after it's rinsed out. I havent used gel in years. I find that moisturizers mixed with an oil do the trick without all the hardness and the crunchiness.

I don't use gel. I really can't think of one reason why I would want to. I have no use for it in my routine or any of the styles that I do. I'm a very "low product", and gel is just unneccesary for me.

Last edited:
Mynatural hair is longer and I am going to try BBD GLass solo. I was putting gel on top of the Glass but now that I am low on gel I want to try it. Once thing my hair CAN NOT take is OIL! ICK!

BLESSED1 said:
lol +1
The gels I used weren't drying, but I've abandoned all my gels for bbd glass. Love that stuff :up:

I used to find gel drying, but I used the cactus and lime leave in first before IC gel application and no more crunchy feeling.:D My hair looks horribly undefined without the gel.:ohwell:

I don't use gels anymore either since I found a better product. It defines my curls better than anything else and it dosen't make my hair hard. Gels were getting annoying because they would flake and cause build-up. The Fantasia gel is good but it is heavy and it does flake and build-up on me. When I want to slick back my hair I use Elasta QP glaze now instead of gel. It dosen't leave any residue.

I don't really use gel either. Most are either drying or they don't really work well for me. Gels like Let's Jam and Fantasia ic don't really do anything except make my hair frizzy and puffy. My hair is weird though.

My hair looks great without gel (just a leave-in) but I also can't get a second day shake and go based hairstyle without gel.

It doesn't really matter the type, although I get the least crunch with the blue fantasia gel. I layer a leave-in under the gel and I get pretty much no crunch. I just used bbd glass today, and while it didn't dry crunch, my hair feels dry and defined rather inconsistently, so the jury's still out on the glass.

Ok ladies I tried the no gel and my hair needs gel if I want to tame my frizzies. Perhaps I am a bit too heavy handed and need to use a leave-in with it to increase the define and shine factor and decrease the crunch factor so I am going to trythat today with Aveda's Leave-in conditioner!

In other news today, I am now 1 inch from BSL! If you check out my hair in the photo journal you will find I been tracking my hair length since October 2005. For whatever reason I can't locate the digital camera to take a picture but I can now touch it if I put my hand behind my back with no strain or problem.

One more inch and then goal is reached! I will be done!

You know it is so funny b/c I purchased IC's glaze and glaze does not work for me. It ends up feeling greasy which makes my face greasy! I hate grease and so does my hair.

Pokahontas said:
I don't use gels anymore either since I found a better product. It defines my curls better than anything else and it dosen't make my hair hard. Gels were getting annoying because they would flake and cause build-up. The Fantasia gel is good but it is heavy and it does flake and build-up on me. When I want to slick back my hair I use Elasta QP glaze now instead of gel. It dosen't leave any residue.

I need my gel...I do have a rant about the glaze tho'....one of them (and I don't know which one since I used both at the same time) either the Elasta QP Glaze or the Fantasia IC Ice Pomade melted and ran down my face I swear I looked like a grease monkey :eek: ....I apply a leave in before putting gel on and I don't have the hard crunchy feeling.

Has anyone else experienced the glaze or the ice pomade melting??? Of course all of the hairs that's not long enough to fit into my bun popped right back up after that stuff melted :(

CurleeDST Congrats on almost reaching your goal!! :up:

Most gels I've tried left me with crunchy/dry hair, with the exception of the gel by Qhemet. The Honeybush Tea something-or-another gel. I have a sample size of it and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it left my hair.

But most of the time when I want super slick edges I use Jason Shaman Smoothing Fixative. You can use it for definition or for blowdrying straight or whatever; it's very versatile. It never leaves my hair crunchy--it actually improves the feel of my hair. I kinda haven't seen it around lately and am starting to wonder if it has been discontinued. I'm going to be mad if it is, although Shaman does have a gel too so maybe it will be comparable.

My hair hates protein & alcohol in gels esp. the "black gels" a four letter word. But, my doesnt seen to mind conditioning gels. I have no breakage.

EMJazzy said:
I need my gel...I do have a rant about the glaze tho'....one of them (and I don't know which one since I used both at the same time) either the Elasta QP Glaze or the Fantasia IC Ice Pomade melted and ran down my face I swear I looked like a grease monkey :eek: ....I apply a leave in before putting gel on and I don't have the hard crunchy feeling.

Has anyone else experienced the glaze or the ice pomade melting??? Of course all of the hairs that's not long enough to fit into my bun popped right back up after that stuff melted :(

It was probably your fantasia. I have been using elasta glaze for over 10yrs will no problems like running, flakes, breakage etc to this day.

EMJazzy: It melted and ran down my face too and I already have an oily face!

EMJazzy said:

i use the fantasia Ic white gel too but i need a lot and eventually is flakes up on me and turns white...how am I supposed to slick down my 4b hair? :(

freedom said:
so does any of you ladies that are natural prefer the jam to the gels and does it hold for you?

well awhile ago I was in a pinch & needed some gel to touchup my updo; I wasn't at home & the only thing available at my cousin's house was the Jam gel. I only used a little bit but was suprised that my hair didn't fall out of place for the rest of the day, it's a little too heavy for me though but if it wasn't I'd consider buying/using it

CurleeDST said:
Is IC Fantasia a "bad" gel as well?

I use the IC Fantasia Shine Gel. It contains no alcohol or mineral oil. It isnt really a protein gel either. It works good for me, doesn't make my hair hard or dry it out. I love it and wouldn't use anything else. Plus it keeps my hair in place all day long.

Back